Who are the PGA Tour Stars?

True, but that’s kind of my point. Make it exciting and captivating tv when he plays well. If he misses a cut, give him a YouTube channel where he can play pros/celebs and get himself over.
To me that seems like trying to force someone into becoming a star instead of it developing organically. Some guys have natural star qualities and some don't.

I guess it depends. Right now the PGAT has some white dwarf stars, but no red supergiant stars.

How about coverage of practice rounds and the driving range? See some personality, hear about what they’re working on. This wedge sucks. Here’s some more tape on my 6 iron. Maybe some banter. Let them sell the crap they’re swinging. Check out the launch numbers. Yadda, yadda, yadda. I mean, every interview is the same.

“How was it today?”

“Yeah, I think conditions are good. I struggled with putting a little, but yeah..it’s gonna be good out there”
This place would explode, no? Except for those too cool who say what the pros use doesn’t influence them. Full Swing was entertaining, figure out how to bring more ways for people to connect.

F-1 covers practice and qualifying, hell even my wife gets sucked in.

l

Hot take maybe, outside of Rory for the euro side, the PGA tour hasn’t had a star since Tiger and Phil were in their height.

LIV has personality if you consider douchy a “personality”, otherwise they are the same too.

Tour golf in general is just whack at the moment and I have really no interest in watching it anymore. Coming from someone who used to tune in regularly every week as much as possible.

I also love the talk about personality, because everyone says they want it, yet the second someone starts speaking their mind and having a personality, everyone then turns and says shut up and just play golf. There is no winning here.

Hot take maybe, outside of Rory for the euro side, the PGA tour hasn’t had a star since Tiger and Phil were in their height.

LIV has personality if you consider douchy a “personality”, otherwise they are the same too.

Tour golf in general is just whack at the moment and I have really no interest in watching it anymore. Coming from someone who used to tune in regularly every week as much as possible.

I also love the talk about personality, because everyone says they want it, yet the second someone starts speaking their mind and having a personality, everyone then turns and says shut up and just play golf. There is no winning here.
Brooks and Bryson, love or hate either of them, along with DJ are and were absolutely stars on the PGA Tour.
You can make the argument Patrick Reed was as well.

True, but that’s kind of my point. Make it exciting and captivating tv when he plays well. If he misses a cut, give him a YouTube channel where he can play pros/celebs and get himself over.
That's the hard part. Joel doesn't play well often to be on TV weekend afternoons. The guys who could be stars don't need to always win, just always be on TV and being in the first few groups out on Saturday and Sunday morning won't make you a star.

Brooks and Bryson, love or hate either of them, along with DJ are and were absolutely stars on the PGA Tour.

I feel like Bubba during his prime years was as well - another sort of 'love or hate' guy

I feel like Bubba during his prime years was as well - another sort of 'love or hate' guy
Absolutely. Sergio as well at least previously.
If Brooks, DJ and Bryson were on the PGA Tour they are considered stars.

I was going to say Bubba.

Pink golf shaft, kind of a dbag but still likeable, crazy driver off the deck shots, and huge cuts around trees in the masters.

Was fun, now its stale. Even LIV is stale but at least is trying something. Their coverage and production is a huge turnoff for me personally.

I think the guys need to be allowed to have fun, be interesting, do grudge matches sponsored by the tour, have something to offer and build up stars in the current crop of talent. Do something not just the same ole stuff every time.

They have had splashes too just can't capitalize on it such as Michael Block killing it, an amatuer winning on tour this years, and so on but it always seems to be a flash in the pan and they never build on momentum.

Perhaps. You could make the case that that is the same for most top golfers financially.
I mean the LIV guys are playing for more money than the PGA Tour guys are.

It cant be both ways. They are either greedy and want the money or they dont :ROFLMAO:
I don’t think most of the LIV roster is really putting a whole lot of work into their game. Not like they used to, why would they? They got paid already and getting guaranteed checks every event.

I’m sure they’ll ramp it up again before the majors because of course, but I don’t think liv is exactly putting out a great golf product either.

Depends what your definition of a star is. Is it performance vs. personality or a combination? Take Rickie. Star personality wise. Performance wise probably falls a bit short.
As defined earlier someone you want to watch when you tune in. Rickie is a great example, if he's getting air time I am going to tune in, if it's Austin Eckroat I'm likely not.

I don’t think most of the LIV roster is really putting a whole lot of work into their game. Not like they used to, why would they? They got paid already and getting guaranteed checks every event.

I’m sure they’ll ramp it up again before the majors because of course, but I don’t think liv is exactly putting out a great golf product either.
How is that different than any other top player that got paid millions already? And continue to from sponsors?

They are competing for more money than any place else every single tournament.
If its about greed, which most say it is, all the more reason to win even more.

How is that different than any other top player that got paid millions already? And continue to from sponsors?

I don't know if this is a fair comparison but to me this makes sense to me.

A superstar NFL player leaving for Canadian Football or the XFL or Arena Football to collect a record setting paycheck. Its just not the same game, they might use the same ball (ish) but talent pool is far different, different rules, different stadiums, the history, the records, the legacy all gone. The PGA Tour was "the show" and sadly It doesn't have that feel right now

I don't know if this is a fair comparison but to me this makes sense to me.

A superstar NFL player leaving for Canadian Football or the XFL or Arena Football to collect a record setting paycheck. Its just not the same game, they might use the same ball (ish) but talent pool is far different, different rules, different stadiums, the history, the records, the legacy all gone. The PGA Tour was "the show" and sadly It doesn't have that feel right now
this happens in pro soccer a lot

I will never understand this narrative. LIV is playing on actual tournament courses under tournament conditions. These are not pitch and putt courses that they can goof around and shoot par on. The leaderboards show a lot of under par rounds and some amazing things happening there. Bryson with a 58 and Joaco with a 59 doesn't just happen they had to go out and work at it. Are there guys that took the money and just want to coast, maybe. Are there guys over there that are actually grinding and competing to make sure their game is ready for competition, absolutely. To say most of the LIV golfers aren't trying is pretty silly.

I think we need to mic up players more. Let their personality show and build bigger fanbases.

Yet the big names like DJ, Koepka, Cam Smith, have been pretty quiet so far. Bryson and Rahm are carrying the weight for the most part right now by the looks of it.

This thread has been really interesting to read through- Got me thinking and I'm not certain I can come up with "stars" outside of a few that have already been named.

Yet the big names like DJ, Koepka, Cam Smith, have been pretty quiet so far. Bryson and Rahm are carrying the weight for the most part right now by the looks of it.
DJ, Koepka, Cam Smith are tied with Gooch for the most event wins with 3 a piece. Koepka won the PGA last year.

There are some "star" players, but the PGA has done so little self promotion of the guys they have it's not even funny. PGA really needs to take a look in the mirror and see what caused this issue.

The PGA has a lot of ground to make up, they have to develop some guys and let some personalities shine through.

We have a thread on Joaquin Niemann, with multiple pages of talk about the kid, who has two early wins this season. Meanwhile, most have no clue what an Austin Eckroat is (although, I am a fan).

Not really even close.
But when every event is turning into nothing more than a putting contest because we are watching clones, that strikes some viewers is not as interesting as it could be, because there is no connection.
It doesn't help that TV coverage shows like 6 putts, maybe 1 approach shot, 1-2 drives, then 6 minutes worth of commercials. I feel like TV coverage of the past was a lot more about approach shots and short game and showed a lot more "tape delayed" shots as they filtered out the 83 seconds of preshot routine for every players shots (except Sergio's regripping years)

That's why I mentioned it was probably a hot take.

But I still stand by that Tiger was the only true star IMO. Not many outside of golf know who Bryson is....maybe Brooks and DJ? But not many. Personalities sure, but I don't agree on star status. Guess it depends on the definition of a star though. I would typically say you need to transcend your sport to be a true star. Maybe it's more fair to say that would be a super star then? Idk.

That's why I mentioned it was probably a hot take.

But I still stand by that Tiger was the only true star IMO. Not many outside of golf know who Bryson is....maybe Brooks and DJ? But not many. Personalities sure, but I don't agree on star status. Guess it depends on the definition of a star though. I would typically say you need to transcend your sport to be a true star. Maybe it's more fair to say that would be a super star then? Idk.
Yeah that definition is tough because based on that, the biggest sport in the country currently, the NFL only has a single star and that’s Travis Kelce because he finally scored a 6.

No other sport literally has a single star. Maybe Ohtani.

Impossible

Reed absolutely was. If he is near the lead it creates lots of takes.. Good and bad. Plus USEGOLFFACTS anyone?? Best twitter handle ever. lol. Gone completely quiet since his departure..

Back