Who are the PGA Tour Stars?

Ironically I was just scrolling Instagram and saw this.

Gonna play devil’s advocate. Those great players? Most of them are playing like trash, because they don’t have to work as hard.

It feels like both tours are just stuck in neutral.

Gonna play devil’s advocate. Those great players? Most of them are playing like trash, because they don’t have to work as hard.

No they don't have to work as hard because they already got paid. They no longer care about history or legacy, they are just out there wearing shorts, playing golf with music and friends having a grand old time :p

Perhaps. You could make the case that that is the same for most top golfers financially.
I mean the LIV guys are playing for more money than the PGA Tour guys are.

It cant be both ways. They are either greedy and want the money or they dont :ROFLMAO:

This brings up another question.
The talent is certainly there, maybe not in dominance, but nobody can question the talent of the PGA Tour.

How bad is their coverage then, if for years we have been saying they have to create new stars, and they still havent even shown an interest in doing so?
this!!! Is the correct question to ask.

I have to ask. If you don't want to watch any of it, why the effort to engage in threads about it?
Because I still do watch some of it. Because professional golf still has some appeal to me. It's fading but I am still a little invested.

Edit: and I will add, I might still watch some pro golf, but there isn't a guy on either tour that will make me stop what I'm doing and tune in. Not on a regular tour stop.

Probably best for another thread, but its terrible. Been saying it for close to a decade, that they flat out refuse to create stars.

The talent is certainly there, maybe not in dominance, but nobody can question the talent of the PGA Tour.

How bad is their coverage then, if for years we have been saying they have to create new stars, and they still havent even shown an interest in doing so?
Their coverage is not good. However, I don't feel the PGA needs stars, the merchandise companies do. I believe, the PGA needs sponsors to improve coverage, but even sponsor money isn't making a difference.

The average golfers have been asked (maybe indirectly) to choose sides, resulting in no winners, with no future change in sight.

The hard part, those commercials help pay the bills. The PGA Tour is in a financial arms race right now and it's losing. Cutting commercials won't help them.

The average golfers have been asked (maybe indirectly) to choose sides, resulting in no winners, with no future change in sight.
They didnt have to ask. That was the coverage...

I don't think they have ever had to worry about building stars, they were always the top show without question and whomever was playing the best and went to the top 10ish in the world were then viewed as stars for being the best of the best. Now they have another league who took some of the stars away and there is more of a question on who is the best, so now they actually have to work on building up some of their up an comers as stars and have no idea how to go about that.

Probably best for another thread, but its terrible. Been saying it for close to a decade, that they flat out refuse to create stars.
They also squash all outside attempts. Block social media. Claim rights, smash anyone that wants to contribute. It’s fitting that the headquarters is behind a moat. They want to live in an isolated and controlled environment that they cannot control.

Jay is a moron..

The hard part, those commercials help pay the bills. The PGA Tour is in a financial arms race right now and it's losing. Cutting commercials won't help them.
It is soo not just about commercials.. that is just a teeny tiny part of it.

They also squash all outside attempts. Block social media. Claim rights, smash anyone that wants to contribute. It’s fitting that the headquarters is behind a moat. They want to live in an isolated and controlled environment that they cannot control.

Jay is a moron..
Haha its not really, despite how it looks, although you do have to go by a guard gate to get in, to what is just an office building. With the construction going on and the sheet bloat inside that building, there is no doubt, why some felt they were getting screwed.

You lost half of the last what, 30 majors in a quick swoop. That is hard to overcome.

Rahm, DJ, Bryson, Brooks, Sergio, Poulter, Phil, Cam Smith, Reed, Bubba are all stars. Regardless of results.

Then you add in the talent they have now with Niemann, Gooch, Ancer, Hatton, Leishman, Louis O, Varner, Tringale, etc

Those tournaments have much better fields currently in terms of draw.

How ******* sad is that.
Those are big losses to the tour

passion, emotion, frustration. all of those things.. People showing what could be perceived as having fun or caring..
They've slowly weeded all the passion and emotion out of the tour, we're left with Swafford/Enlgish blah clones

It is soo not just about commercials.. that is just a teeny tiny part of it.
Yes, showing more golf is good. I guess. The talking heads are a little snooze worthy. It would be nice if the broadcasters could convince a current PGA Tour player *not in the field* to do booth work.

Just seems like “fans” crave some sort of an extreme contact sport when it’s just golf. Maybe it just depends on what or who exactly someone is a fan of. Hovland, Kim, Kisner, Lee, Finau, Fowler, Theegala…love these guys. I think there’s a story is there, I just don’t think it’s being told very well. No question there’s a weird lull at the moment. What is it though? Who knows?

Is complete course & total field annihilation all fans really crave? LIV vs. PGA tournaments would set golf on fire. 🔥

Just seems like “fans” crave some sort of an extreme contact sport when it’s just golf. Maybe it just depends on what or who exactly someone is a fan of. Hovland, Kim, Kisner, Lee, Finau, Fowler, Theegala…love these guys. I think there’s a story is there, I just don’t think it’s being told very well. No question there’s a weird lull at the moment. What is it though? Who knows?

Is complete course & total field annihilation all fans really crave? LIV vs. PGA tournaments would set golf on fire. 🔥
Not really even close.
But when every event is turning into nothing more than a putting contest because we are watching clones, that strikes some viewers is not as interesting as it could be, because there is no connection.

A star isn't necessarily someone who wins all the time or even someone you like, it's someone you'd tune in to watch and LIV took almost all of those guys. A true star is also a guy you put on the cover a PGA Tour video game. Rory was setup to be the next big star but with his terrible play and toxic comments at the beginning of PGAT vs LIV he's all but removed himself from consideration. I don't see any of the androids currently on the PGAT being remotely close to a true star either now or in the future.

A star isn't necessarily someone who wins all the time or even someone you like, it's someone you'd tune in to watch and LIV took almost all of those guys. A true star is also a guy you put on the cover a PGA Tour video game. Rory was setup to be the next big star but with his terrible play and toxic comments at the beginning of PGAT vs LIV he's all but removed himself from consideration. I don't see any of the androids currently on the PGAT being remotely close to a true star either now or in the future.
Rory is absolutely a huge star.

Granted, the LIV/PGAT has long soured me on professional golf. As a qualifier, I don’t have anything against either tour, I’m just left disappointed and largely bored with both.

That said, what about Sam Burns? Is he still on the PGAT? Does he register at all on the potential star-power meter? When I watched more often, I really liked his game and he showed a little fire out there.

Depends what your definition of a star is. Is it performance vs. personality or a combination? Take Rickie. Star personality wise. Performance wise probably falls a bit short.

I believe the PGA has missed the mark with Joel Dahmen. After the Netflix episode, Dahmen was an “internet darling”. A relatable guy that seems down to Earth and who you want to see do well. I understand his game isn’t top tier, but he’s the underdog that people can get behind.

Hard to turn a guy into a star if he is missing cuts. Out of sight out of mind.
True, but that’s kind of my point. Make it exciting and captivating tv when he plays well. If he misses a cut, give him a YouTube channel where he can play pros/celebs and get himself over.

Back