Why Are You NOT Scheduling Lessons

So @Canadan and I had a long talk about instruction because my game the last month has been just awful. The swing went from off, but functional, to now off and fighting it. Its a complete mess. We have good instructors at our club here and I am fortunate to have a simulator to practice on. Yet I am about to start some pretty heavy travel and won't have access to play or practice like I would want to.

At least that is what I am telling myself. Last go round with them took me down quite a bit and the game was really rocking. That was a few years ago and I said this year would be rebuild year to get back there. Yet here I am, in July with travel nearly weekly coming up pissed off at myself for waiting. The last 4 rounds have been just horrible with a slight glimmer and its tough to be out there constantly like that.
Where you feel like you are in the battling the swing is EXACTLY where I was. It went from being off like I always am coming out of winter, to signs of life, to just atrocious to the point I was actually embarrassed on the course. I could still slap it around for decent scores, but it was exhausting and embarrassing.

When I met with Jonathan I was lucky that he already knows my schedule with the kids and such, so he really focused on things I can do in short bursts of time through the day and finding the most effective drills and tools when I do get practice time outdoors. That was a weight off my mind when it came to how much I’m paying him and how much I’ll actually get out of it with my schedule.

Its something we all fight, the just DO IT part, but in the end as much as we love this game, it’s usually always worth it

Where you feel like you are in the battling the swing is EXACTLY where I was. It went from being off like I always am coming out of winter, to signs of life, to just atrocious to the point I was actually embarrassed on the course. I could still slap it around for decent scores, but it was exhausting and embarrassing.

When I met with Jonathan I was lucky that he already knows my schedule with the kids and such, so he really focused on things I can do in short bursts of time through the day and finding the most effective drills and tools when I do get practice time outdoors. That was a weight off my mind when it came to how much I’m paying him and how much I’ll actually get out of it with my schedule.

Its something we all fight, the just DO IT part, but in the end as much as we love this game, it’s usually always worth it

It's funny, I came out of St. Louis and playing Bellerive hitting the ball well. My home club is NOT forgiving and I quickly realized this two way miss off the tee is not fun when you have crazy deep rough and searching for balls on every hole. Combine that with walking hte course takes a little more energy and not being a great sleeper and by the back 9 being exhausted and its led to crazy bad rounds.

Last 18 with Dan, I was 1 over through 5 and then went double, bogey, bogey, bogey to finish the 9. Then double par on a par 3 that I put two in the water on and then bogey, bogey, bogey, par, par and then some huge number and it went on from there. Not being able to get off the tee is sinister. I went from a bit over the top and steep, to so far over the top that its a dead pull and falling back so I lose most of my lag I created.

It's time and I told him after the round that I would begin the lessons again, but then traveled over the weekend and then leave again shortly. I have to find a spot where I can get two weeks.

It's funny, I came out of St. Louis and playing Bellerive hitting the ball well. My home club is NOT forgiving and I quickly realized this two way miss off the tee is not fun when you have crazy deep rough and searching for balls on every hole. Combine that with walking hte course takes a little more energy and not being a great sleeper and by the back 9 being exhausted and its led to crazy bad rounds.

Last 18 with Dan, I was 1 over through 5 and then went double, bogey, bogey, bogey to finish the 9. Then double par on a par 3 that I put two in the water on and then bogey, bogey, bogey, par, par and then some huge number and it went on from there. Not being able to get off the tee is sinister. I went from a bit over the top and steep, to so far over the top that its a dead pull and falling back so I lose most of my lag I created.

It's time and I told him after the round that I would begin the lessons again, but then traveled over the weekend and then leave again shortly. I have to find a spot where I can get two weeks.
See, it’s funny because the tee game and that two way ohmygodwhereisitgoingtogonow miss is what finally broke me. I was having to hit irons off the tee just because I wasn’t AS steep there.

Turns out, I’d ingrained a piss poor slide and that made me raise up in the swing while sucking the club WAY inside and being more stuck than I think I’ve ever been. I got nauseous when I saw the video. But, I needed to realize again that’s what good teaching pros are there for, to make it more enjoyable. I’m not near where I want to be, but I can enjoy golf a little more on the course again now at least:

Reactions: JB
I'm just waiting to hear back from my guy.

It's time.
Is your guy my guy? It's been wonders for me this summer. I haven't had this consistent of ball striking for me in some time. if only the putter hadn't started misbehaving...

Is your guy my guy? It's been wonders for me this summer. I haven't had this consistent of ball striking for me in some time. if only the putter hadn't started misbehaving...
He is indeed. I wouldn't send you to someone else lmao

I'm starting a series of lessons today. Really looking forward to it.

Actually tried to last week....instructor booked solid thru August :oops:

Because I have slow motion on my phone and lessons are like dating, the idea is to set up the next one......

Because I am afraid. I am reluctant and fearful that I will not be able to incorporate what an instructor is trying to teach me.

contemplating a putting lesson.

I gave up. Just booked lessons with our club pro. While my index has come down over the last year, that is just from more play, not better technique. Getting a bit tired of essentially treading water with my game. Time to make a leap forward….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A brilliant teacher in my area, one who took me into single digits, and who several years ago spent the winter preparing a local golfer to win the U.S. Senior Women's Open, which she did, got into course management and doesn't give lessons any more. No one else in my area is much good.

A brilliant teacher in my area, one who took me into single digits, and who several years ago spent the winter preparing a local golfer to win the U.S. Senior Women's Open, which she did, got into course management and doesn't give lessons any more. No one else in my area is much good.

Try calling that person and ask who they would suggest. Worse they can say is "I don't know anyone," but chances are, they'll have someone they would prefer over anyone else.

I desperately want to get some lessons. But the reason I'm not getting them right now is bc after 10ish years off from golf I've returned by using my dad's old clubs. Unfortunately, they are pretty old 'Founders Club' clubs with Senior flex shafts. I'm not sure exactly what my swing speed is but I'm confident it's too fast to be using these shafts.

I don't want to start lessons with these old clubs and misfit shafts. I feel like if I do then maybe bad habits from using equipment not suited for me will engrain bad habits. I'm going to be fit for new clubs near the end of August and will most likely get some lessons after I get them.

Heading to golf school this weekend for 10 hours of lessons. Plus getting 3 rounds in.

My problem is that several instructors here teach everyone the same regardless of natural tendencies or ability. I don’t want to pay for a rebuild. But my last two nine hole rounds were a severe struggle. Some of its rust. Some isn’t. Tough choices.

I am scheduling my lessons a few weeks apart. Gives me time to work on what he taught and hopefully ingrain some stuff.
The instructor owns the range which is also the best public range in North Carolina. When he's teaching other people I see him taking a glance at my swings on the range. It's nice to know he's thinking...."How do i help this poor son of a gun".

I am scheduling my lessons a few weeks apart. Gives me time to work on what he taught and hopefully ingrain some stuff.
The instructor owns the range which is also the best public range in North Carolina. When he's teaching other people I see him taking a glance at my swings on the range. It's nice to know he's thinking...."How do i help this poor son of a gun".

@annsguy - or he’s licking his chops thinking how much he’s going to make on you.

Back