Why aren't the LPGA Tour Players getting the attention they deserve?

Golf4Her

Reaction score
Handicap
Where's the Rory-love for Yani?!

This week at the the Wegmans LPGA Championship, Yani Tseng blew away the field to become the youngest golfer - male or female - to win 4 Grand Slam tournaments since 1872. Both Yani and Rory McIlroy are both 22 years old, yet Yani's accomplishments this weekend will go virtually unnoticed. Fairly certain, Yani will not be gracing the cover of any golf/sports magazines.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts!

This week at the the Wegmans LPGA Championship, Yani Tseng blew away the field to become the youngest golfer - male or female - to win 4 Grand Slam tournaments since 1872. Both Yani and Rory McIlroy are both 22 years old, yet Yani's accomplishments this weekend will go virtually unnoticed. Fairly certain, Yani will not be gracing the cover of any golf/sports magazines.

She should be. Yani was amazing to watch. Too many people don't want to admit that the LPGA is just as good of golf as any other tour. I unfortunately have another opinion why the LPGA isn't as popular with men as it could/should be. But that would not be appropriate to discuss here.

My main issue is that I just can't watch. I love watching the ladies play and would have tuned into the Wegmans if it was on another channel besides TGC. It's a shame.

The issue with magazines and media is just the simple fact that the ladies don't sell like the guys. It sucks, but it's true.

We have a similar thread discussing how Yani is the most dominant player in the world right now.
I dont even think that can be debated really.

We have a similar thread discussing how Yani is the most dominant player in the world right now.
I dont even think that can be debated really.

I actually sat down and watched the LPGA because of that thread. I knew she was good, I just never watched. Guess what - she is AMAZING. The idea that a 4 club Luke Donald would stand a chance against her, with her full bag, is ridiculous.

I watch lots of LPGA golf and easily watched more of the Wegman's than the Traveler's this weekend, until Sunday. I just can't watch runaway victories.

My opinion is that part of the problem is that the LPGA is still recovering from last year when they had so few tournaments. The other part is that there just aren't enough visible personalities on that tour yet outside of Paula Creamer and possibly Natalie Gulbis. Until this year, quite a few of the LPGA's majors were being won by relative no names and then many of the regular tournaments were being won by Koreans. The US has always preferred rooting for domestic winners and when the Korean winners don't have much flare or sizzle factor (Jiyai Shin, Song Hee Kim, etc.) and/or don't speak english, it exacerbates that situation.

Personally I could watch Ai Miyazato, Momoko Ueda and Na Yeon Choi hit balls all day with their rhythm and smooth action, but I'm a hardcore fan and most are not.

I will say this. After playing with a couple of the LPGA girls, I really can relate to them much more than the guys. Not in skill level, but in the sense that we play similar distances. They play course lenghtns that I'd play and I hit the ball close to how far they do. There are the real bombers (Lincicome comes to mind), but it's not neccessarily the norm.

The other part is that there just aren't enough visible personalities on that tour yet outside of Paula Creamer and possibly Natalie Gulbis.

And why are they the most visible personalities? This is part of why I think most men do not watch the LPGA. And it is sad to me.

I really think the biggest thing is just the presence on TV and on SportsCenter etc. I really enjoy watching the ladies play, I've been tuning in with my daughters here lately and we have a lot of fun with it.

I think a lot of it has to do with marketing. I don't know much about any of these women, therefore it's hard to get interested. Also the broadcasts suck.

I have a question for those of you who've been around longer than me. Did the LPGA get more attention in years past? I remember hearing about Nancy Lopez when I was just a kid and I didn't even golf then. I also remember all of the Annika talk and again, I didn't golf at the time.

I think it starts and ends with their looks. I've never met PC and NG so I'm not sure of their personalities but I think they're know more for their looks than their games. Right or wrong I think the average golf fan knows them for this. They're the 'faces of the LPGA' yet their games or results are nowhere near that of say Yani, Jiyai Shin, etc but no one thinks of them when thinking 'LPGA'

And why are they the most visible personalities? This is part of why I think most men do not watch the LPGA. And it is sad to me.

I have a question for those of you who've been around longer than me. Did the LPGA get more attention in years past? I remember hearing about Nancy Lopez when I was just a kid and I didn't even golf then. I also remember all of the Annika talk and again, I didn't golf at the time.

Domination brought attention a few years ago with Annika. But some would say that until she teed it up with men, the tour had gone slightly stale. Michelle Wie is a big draw, but has not reached that next level yet. To answer your question, more lately than ever, but the trend has been headed this way.

I think it starts and ends with their looks. I've never met PC and NG so I'm not sure of their personalities but I think they're know more for their looks than their games. Right or wrong I think the average golf fan knows them for this. They're the 'faces of the LPGA' yet their games or results are nowhere near that of say Yani, Jiyai Shin, etc but no one thinks of them when thinking 'LPGA'

I know many feel this way, but I dont think it works that way. Annika is the perfect example of that. So is Michelle Wie. Despite Natalie being what a lot of guys follow, SHe is not the biggest draw in terms of ratings, that still belongs to Wie.

I think it depends on where you get your golf information too. While sometimes hard to watch the GC does provide a lot of coverage for the Women, but GC is not received in as many households. I watch womens golf if only in hopes of inspiring my daughters to what is possible, but also because their game is just awesome to watch if you're a hard core golf fan. I always let my girls watch LPGA on TV for as long as they sit and watch. I'm also hoping to take them out to the Women's US Open here in Colorado in a couple weeks again to hopefully inspire them even if not in golf.

I definitely give props to the ladies tour and I think they represent well, but it seems to be the ultimate demographic is males 18-35 and if they can't or don't watch then they can't sell products. I believe Natalie and Paula and a few others will move the needle, but imagine if one of them had done what Yani is doing... I don't believe we'd be having this discussion IMO.

The hard reality is that very few people care about the LPGA. It isn't a knock on what they can do, it's just how it is. The vast majority of people that want to sit down and watch golf, or hear news about golf, would rather it be the top tier men's players. The Nationwide and Euro Tours don't get much love either unless you look for it. On a national level, the majority of the viewing public only care to hear about what happens at the top, and that is the PGA Tour.

I will say this. After playing with a couple of the LPGA girls, I really can relate to them much more than the guys. Not in skill level, but in the sense that we play similar distances. They play course lenghtns that I'd play and I hit the ball close to how far they do. There are the real bombers (Lincicome comes to mind), but it's not neccessarily the norm.
IMO, this is why they don't get the attention. They play the same length courses and hit the ball about the same as I do (granted they hit it tons better). I can hit 3-wood and 9-iron into a short par 4, I don't want to watch it on TV. I want to see a guy hit a 345 yard drive to a fariway that is 25 yards wide then hit a 240 yard 4-iron into the green for an eagle chance. That is something I can't do.

Same thing with the NBA and WNBA. The WNBA has some great players, but they play below the rim, just like I would. Nothing special. I want to watch the guys playing above the rim and do things I couldn't even dream of.

totally agree, but ratings aside I still think Avg Joe Golfer thinks of Natalie or Paula before they even get to Wie in their heads. Sure Wie is on tv more with commercials and probably has a higher Q factor than PC or NG but I think overall PC and NG are first thought of for name association with the LPGA more so than others and that's a shame. Now if either one of them were actually winning or consistently contending it'd be a whole other story

Domination brought attention a few years ago with Annika. But some would say that until she teed it up with men, the tour had gone slightly stale. Michelle Wie is a big draw, but has not reached that next level yet. To answer your question, more lately than ever, but the trend has been headed this way.

I know many feel this way, but I dont think it works that way. Annika is the perfect example of that. So is Michelle Wie. Despite Natalie being what a lot of guys follow, SHe is not the biggest draw in terms of ratings, that still belongs to Wie.

I think a big part of the problem is the fact that alot of the better players are Asian and don't speak English. Major networks want to mic the hot players on the weekend and what's the point if the viewer can't understand the player? No viewer interest= no revenue for the network, so they won't broadcast it. That leaves TGC to broadcast LPGA events, usually at some off the wall time when they don't have infomercials booked.

When Nancy Lopez was a rookie, she was on the cover of Sports Illustrated and was generally a big deal in sports. I don't remember women's golf on TV before her but she brought it to everyone's minds. She increased viewership and popularity but it never really exploded. Women's sports just don't do that in this country. Sucks, but it is what it is.

0710_large.jpg

Annika was the best female golfer that I can remember, but I don't know if she even got a full cover of SI. I know she got a little picture of her on a cover but can't recall any others.

0224_large.jpg

I would say Natalie for sex appeal and Paula because of a few factors over and above that, like her probably being the best American player (sorry Christie Kerr), easily the most visible with her endorsements and clothing lines and a little because she is one of the best interviews in golf.

I agree with your contention. The LPGA would definitely draw more casual male viewers if the Anna Rawson, Beatriz Recari, Sara Brown, Carling Coffing and Jennifer Rosales of the world won more. It isn't fair but most people aren't going to watch Pat Hurst win a tournament. She doesn't have the sex appeal for the casual fan or the gorgeous swing for the die hards to drool over.

Let me answer your question with a question. Why aren't more women watching? It is the same issue as the WNBA, and that is that for the most part, men don't care. so I will ask again, why aren't more women watching and supporting womens athletics?

I'm not sure if I've been around longer than you but I do remember some of those ladies getting attention like Nancy and that was when I was barely into golf. Annika definitely brought attention and money I believe to the game that wasn't there before but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I can definitely name quite a few Ladies from the tour nowadays again because I do follow it a little. However, I've definitely watched more and followed more via twitter and facebook some because they are branding the entire package of their appearance and golf. Ultimately not playing golf at the level Yani is now and Annika did then though will not help the LPGA even if they are beautiful.

totally agree, but ratings aside I still think Avg Joe Golfer thinks of Natalie or Paula before they even get to Wie in their heads. Sure Wie is on tv more with commercials and probably has a higher Q factor than PC or NG but I think overall PC and NG are first thought of for name association with the LPGA more so than others and that's a shame. Now if either one of them were actually winning or consistently contending it'd be a whole other story

I completely disagree. Wie is in the commercials more, Sportscenter more and has teed it up with the men.
Lets not forget just a couple of years ago that she was to save the sport and be what Tiger Woods was.
She was the savior and it was on the cover of magazines and TV shows everywhere.
Most likely unfortunate, but when the average sports fan thinks LPGA, they think Wie. Give a nod to Gulbis after reality tv show on mainstream TV, but Paula is a little further behind either of those.

I love watching the LPGA, they play just as good as the men do on the PGA tour and Yani is the best IMO, i think she is the most dominate in golf at the moment including over anybody on the PGA tour, i would love to see her tee it up with the guys, she would probably beat 90% of them

And I would say because she hasn't idone that is a reason that she's not thought of right away either.

Maybe we're looking at it from the wrong viewpoint in that we actually watch the LPGA, etc and have a little knowledge with these girls but I think the avg dude thinks of NG's calendars and PC's pink attire which shows a lot of skin every now and then before Wie enters into their equation

I completely disagree. Wie is in the commercials more, Sportscenter more and has teed it up with the men.
Lets not forget just a couple of years ago that she was to save the sport and be what Tiger Woods was.
She was the savior and it was on the cover of magazines and TV shows everywhere.
Most likely unfortunate, but when the average sports fan thinks LPGA, they think Wie. Give a nod to Gulbis after reality tv show on mainstream TV, but Paula is a little further behind either of those.

They're the 'faces of the LPGA' yet their games or results are nowhere near that of say Yani, Jiyai Shin, etc but no one thinks of them when thinking 'LPGA'

Now if either one of them were actually winning or consistently contending it'd be a whole other story

Hanks, I see where you're coming from but Paula Creamer is generally considered one of the Top 5 players in the game. Also, they both have a major so i don't want to slight Natalie, but think you're generally right that most don't associate her with winning majors so much as calendar sales.

But you can't put Creamer into that same category. She is a top, top player and actually ranks ahead of Shin on the money list (8th).

Back