Why hasn’t the yellow golf ball caught on?

Not true for a lot of others but perhaps, for me, it's because my favorite ball model is not available in yellow at this point. Srixon Diamond

Ya think people think of Bubba when they look at colored golf balls? Is he even commonly thought of anymore?

Nah. I haven't thought about him in years until for some reason I decided to type his name in that post. A lot of pro players strike me as odd birds so they may think of Bubba when seeing colored balls. Probably giving him too much credit but who knows?

I do better with a yellow ball. I track ball flight much better and appreciate the ease of spotting my ball from a distance. I do think there is a slight performance difference between white and yellow balls — we talked about this at the '21 Titleist Experience. It's a non issue for me.

I am surprised at how few people play yellow (or other colored) balls. I played with a guy this week who nearly lost his white ball twice in snow patches on the course. I asked why he didn't play a yellow ball, at least in early season conditions. His response was instant: I don't like yellow balls. Beats me why.

Haven’t worn pleats in like a decade, even though my mid section and hips can warrant it.

This joke is about as alive as Jeffrey Epstein.
It’s my last memory of you, so pleats forever.

resistance to change and about 100 spotters on the course make it easy to find balls so it doesn't matter as much to the pros

Every time Malnati is shown they make sure to mention the yellow ball like it’s a bad thing or something

You can show people all sorts of charts and numbers on performance but if a player doesn’t feel, or more importantly, believe that yellow (or any other color) balls perform identically, they’re just not going to use them.

Yellows 1000% feel firmer. Not sure if there is any kind of performance difference but there is absolutely a feel difference.
@Jman

Showoff See GIF by HULU

Sounds like someone who listens to a propaganda machine 🤣
I don’t listen. But I do pay attention. I like to know what crazy people say.. it can be interesting..

Self perceived stigma in many in using a yellow ball.

Already had this discussion that there’s no difference in compression.
I saw. I am just landing in Denver and thought it was funny. I get I am a few hours behind.. lol

An unreasonable holding on to ancient customs and traditions yet somehow golf hoodies are ok?
Ironically it's the old guys that love tradition and hate hoodies who use most of the yellow balls.

Really never thought about it but a very good question. I don’t know that I’ve got an answer for it- preference maybe?? 🤷‍♂️

But perception is our own realities and if we are talking about why a tour pro doesn't play a certain ball then it could be reasonable to think that they might perceive a different feel as well?
There are Tour pros that swear there are performance differences. Perception perhaps. Bubba is one of them.

But. When Srixon came out with yellow 15 years ago with the optic yellow I was in..

Nick Offerman Popcorn GIF by NBC

If only we knew someone that made golf balls that could talk to us about this..

Back