Why hasn’t the yellow golf ball caught on?

If only we knew someone that made golf balls that could talk to us about this..
Did you tune into Titleist talking about this a couple days ago?

Ironically it's the old guys that love tradition and hate hoodies who use most of the yellow balls.
I am an old fart. I love tradition, but I wore jeans to the course today. I don't give a damn what anyone else does if it doesn't affect me. I try not to adversely affect others. Like today we were first off. No loud music. 3:10 round..... I don't wear hoodies because I don't like tight things around my neck...... unless the Mrs and I are playing Gasper. o_O

adam devine this is fun GIF by Workaholics

No. Where?
Webinar. They surely recorded it. It was interesting to hear how some of their players think different things about them.

Webinar. They surely recorded it. It was interesting to hear how some of their players think different things about them.
I am sure lots of people think different things. I just am not sure it is real..

I am sure lots of people think different things. I just am not sure it is real..
Yeah I don't play yellow so I don't really think anything, but every time I hear details on the little differences I come away with a renewed appreciation for how much effort they put into the process. And how none of it really matters to someone's reactions to it out there.

At the GOAT Cup- Finley commented on the piece about the urban legend of the yellow ball not performing as well and it’s totally not true.

I do have to say. At one time. This could have been true for DTC balls. I know Vice colored balls at one time was just paint on the cover and they were white underneath. But! If the dye is in the cover and not painted on. Nah.,

I do have to say. At one time. This could have been true for DTC balls. I know Vice colored balls at one time was just paint on the cover and they were white underneath. But! If the dye is in the cover and not painted on. Nah.,
Does your mind want conspiracy fuel or reassurances? I can't quite tell which but I'm here for ya. Just point 👉🏻 me in a direction. 😆

There are Tour pros that swear there are performance differences. Perception perhaps. Bubba is one of them.
We are talking yellow. Clearly pink is different, also Bubba is a whiny baby

The average (maybe older golfer) needs the high visibility to find their ball occasionally. The Tour pro has many eyes on their ball, plus cameras, spectators and officials.

Does your mind want conspiracy fuel or reassurances? I can't quite tell which but I'm here for ya. Just point 👉🏻 me in a direction. 😆
When you get to DTC, or manufactured stuff. It’s a crap shoot

The game of golf still has a lot of older, stodgy traditional players who are stuck in the past. Yellow golf balls have no performance downsides over white golf balls, yet they have demonstrable visibility advantages. This is 2024, not 1950. Do white balls work better with persimmon drivers or have you replaced them with modern clubs? There is nothing wrong with holding on to old traditions, but that is a personal choice unless you want to embrace modern technology?

Maybe they don't look as good on camera?

White balls, white belts, white cups, white flag sticks - matchy matchy?

Tradition gonna tradition

I have a hard time following the damn things on sunny days.

I am an old fart. I love tradition, but I wore jeans to the course today. I don't give a damn what anyone else does if it doesn't affect me. I try not to adversely affect others. Like today we were first off. No loud music. 3:10 round..... I don't wear hoodies because I don't like tight things around my neck...... unless the Mrs and I are playing Gasper. o_O
I neglected to mention, yes, I play a yellow ball whenever possible. I find it easier to track in the air and spot on the ground. Therefore it speeds up the round not looking around for it where it isn't. My buddy was playing some optic orange ball yesterday. For some reason I lost it in midair a few times in yesterdays morning light.

Speaking specifically on Tour, why do you think it hasn’t caught on? Tennis used to use white tennis balls but the visibility benefits of yellow took over, why has it just never quite happened in professional golf?
I have no idea. Other than sheer stuck-in-the-past-ness there's no advantage whatsoever to a white ball over a yellow one, as far as I can see.

I have no idea. Other than sheer stuck-in-the-past-ness there's no advantage whatsoever to a white ball over a yellow one, as far as I can see.
Without a doubt what the tour does has no grounds in reality. Like wearing slacks in 95 degree weather. Just plain stupid.

Prob just momentum from what they played when younger….? The yellow ball is a relatively recentish thing in terms of your performance balls offered in yellow. I’m not sure the year when ProV1 first came in yellow… Maybe 5 or so years ago?

Novice take: I had the opportunity to formulate and apply nano coatings (textiles).
There is a difference between colors. Red blue yellow white, though identical in recipe, except color, had different hand feel. You could pick them apart blindfolded with enough experience.
I can assume this applies to finishes on golf balls. I personally believe this on golf balls.
I play a yellow ball, usually. At first for visibility.
Do I think there is a performance difference? Same model white v yellow: Yes, I perceive a difference. Only because I perceive there is a physical difference creating a performance difference.
It’s in my head.

Prob just momentum from what they played when younger….? The yellow ball is a relatively recentish thing in terms of your performance balls offered in yellow. I’m not sure the year when ProV1 first came in yellow… Maybe 5 or so years ago?

Stigma.
Yellow balls were generally not the “better” balls. Pretty much along the realm of iron covers, ball retrievers, and stroke counters.

Or maybe some people just like white?

Back