Wilson Airless Basketball Prototype

Thrillbilly Jim

No Diddy! No Doubt!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A Lotter
This is interesting. Just like airless tire technology, Wilson Sports is developing a airless basketball.

I have a hard time believing that it will bounce and feel like a regular ball.

Must be bored in the ole basketball development room these days.

That is really really odd, cool, but odd.

If that works it's amazing. I can't process how it could though.

This is the kind of innovation I LOVE seeing. Taking a thing that's been a certain way for 100 years and completely redefining it is really interesting.

I can't wait to see it.

Huge potential in applications like school gym classes, outdoor use, etc..

If I was in middle school I would be asking for one of these immediately. Since I'm now a mudge, I'm just meh.

But did they use AI? What am I saying, of course they did. Not sure why they'd invest all that time and money creating a new basketball when they can't afford a decent marketing budget to sell the amazing golf clubs they already have but don't get me trying figure out Wilson's strategy.

But did they use AI? What am I saying, of course they did. Not sure why they'd invest all that time and money creating a new basketball when they can't afford a decent marketing budget to sell the amazing golf clubs they already have but don't get me trying figure out Wilson's strategy.
Everyone engineering anything uses AI these days. If they don’t it would be engineering malpractice

Different divisions, different people, different budgets I assume.

Kind of cool but will it bounce? Will leather be applied over it? So many questions.

If that works it's amazing. I can't process how it could though.

Same size and weight just without air. I wonder how it feels as compared to a traditional leather or composite ball.

Different divisions, different people, different budgets I assume.
When I think of Wilson my very first thought is Basketballs. I would have to assume most people feel the same. It’s gotta be their bread and butter core market I’d think.

So, instead of a standard basketball being $20, it's going to be $5000? Nope. I have worked with a lot of 3D printed parts and these will not be cheap, since as the second video says, 3D printing (additive manufacturing) is the only way you can make that.

The only way it becomes an inexpensive ball is to cast the ball in halves (or portions anyway) and glue them together (or fuse them).

Interesting. This is Wilson's core. Can't wait to feel one.

Kind of cool, but why? They are going to be intended to do the exact same thing. No variations in what they do.

When I think of Wilson my very first thought is Basketballs. I would have to assume most people feel the same. It’s gotta be their bread and butter core market I’d think.
Tennis, basketballs, volleyballs. That’s what I think of, personally.

Tennis, basketballs, volleyballs. That’s what I think of, personally.
Huge in baseball with gloves and balls, and own two leading bat companies.

As a former AAU coach I'd bet every kid I coached would want one. I assume the price is pretty high for a ball.
Just watched another YouTube video where.a kid tried it and said it felt like a regular ball.

Super cool. Really would love to have one for about 30 minutes to dribble and shoot around with. Wonder how they feel, how long they last?

Pretty cool technology, it would be cool to see it in person. My just has a hard time thinking it would feel and bounce the same.

Back