Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

Skim alert. Did anyone try the combo shaft option? It looked strange to me when I saw it in person, but I only hit a few with it. Felt good looked weird.

Yes, I know at least one of the testers had the half and half shaft and they really liked them.

Thank you Ron and CB for your comments and evaluation and for responding to my questions about trajectory control with the Di11. Great job.

Can anyone speak to head to head of the Di11 vs X24s? I'm going to make a purchase decision this week and I won't be able to hit the Di11s but I've got a great deal lined up on a 5-PW short set of new X24s. Either should be a big change (improvement?) for me coming from the MP52s which outmatch me a bit, but I'd like to make a decision that I can live with for a couple of seasons. Note: I'm not concerned about finish wear or other aesthetic issues.

Thanks!

As soon as Oem gets his D11's I could offer some sort of comparison review as I have used the 24's for some time now

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Of the three testers Ron is the only one who got the half and half and he loves them. I think he has described them as holding a live snake.

Yes, I know at least one of the testers had the half and half shaft and they really liked them.
Thanks guys. It sounds like he got used to them quick! I am going to try them again Tuesday. If my numbers are good, I'll get used to that look fast

Thanks guys. It sounds like he got used to them quick! I am going to try them again Tuesday. If my numbers are good, I'll get used to that look fast

I think Ron had the half-half shaft. He mentioned he liked the coil affect it gave him on his back/downswing. But I'm sure he'd have even more input. I tested these a week ago and boy they are smooth. I didn't test the half-half, just the steel, but they are long, very long. I was hitting them almost half a club longer.

The only place I've found that carries them locally is Dick's and they didn't have any left handed sets in stock :angry:

The Dick's around here didn't even have them in the store only online.

I seriously might just quit reading this thread. I have no reason at all to be pondering these irons so much, but you guys are REALLY making it hard.

haha, I completely agree, these guys are doing a fantastic job!

Hey THPers- we can get you these clubs if you are interested w/ a discount. PM me. Dennis is getting the product up on the site right now. The 1/2 1/2 shaft is not available until early-April, fyi. If you order, it will ship right away (next day), unless there's any customization (which would take 10-14 days). Also, the lefty is not in stock, so it'll be a 10-14 day delay. Thanks!

Hey THPers- we can get you these clubs if you are interested w/ a discount. PM me. Dennis is getting the product up on the site right now. The 1/2 1/2 shaft is not available until early-April, fyi. If you order, it will ship right away (next day), unless there's any customization (which would take 10-14 days). Also, the lefty is not in stock, so it'll be a 10-14 day delay. Thanks!

Good stuff Patty, these are great irons I think you will sell plenty.

They are well worth checking into Koko, I can't imagine playing with any other set of irons now.

Can you take a pic of the sole next to one of your g15? I know you posted some pics already but I don't remember seeing a side by side sole comparison.

Koko, CL, gamed the G15 and he posted a lot of side by side sole pics in the thread.

Edit: Page 18 post #266

Can you take a pic of the sole next to one of your g15? I know you posted some pics already but I don't remember seeing a side by side sole comparison.

Koko just looking at the irons I would swear the G15's sole is much larger. However when you hold them up next to each other they are very close. Wilson has done a tremendous job in hiding the sole to make it appear smaller which would probably appeal to more players. Sorry I couldn't get to the range today guys but man I tried swinging and my tush just does not want any movement. I'm sitting on a bag of peas right now

Got myself caught up on this thread again. You guys are doing an awesome job! These definitely seem like winners, and I can't wait to take some swings with them at the Outing in May. I guess my only real concern is the high-lofted short clubs. A GW at 46* seems so high. Having a tough time wrapping my head around it. I'm sure after a few swings, I'd get it though.

Koko, CL, gamed the G15 and he posted a lot of side by side sole pics in the thread.

Edit: Page 18 post #266

CL and CB -thanks. That was what I was looking for. These are looking and sounding really appealing. I will read thru the whole thread more carefully this weekend when I have more time. I need to find a demo 7i to hit also.

How do these compare with the Di9 ? My buddy has a set of those that he will let me borrow for some range time. Are they compareable at all?

How do these compare with the Di9 ? My buddy has a set of those that he will let me borrow for some range time. Are they compareable at all?

Thst's a good question. In the stock uniflex, the specs and marketing spiel are remarkably similar.

Thst's a good question. In the stock uniflex, the specs and marketing spiel are remarkably similar.

I can tell you as someone that has played both of them quite a bit, I DEFINITELY prefer the Di11s. I thought the Di9s were good clubs, but lacked a few things. The Di11s I am struggling to find where they are lacking in an iron in this class.

Skim alert. Did anyone try the combo shaft option? It looked strange to me when I saw it in person, but I only hit a few with it. Felt good looked weird.

I really like the look of the half/half shaft, the red and silver is Sexxxxxyyyyyy. I love the feel of it coiling up on the backswing and releasing when you bring the club down and through. You can really feel the power building up in it, like a spring stretched tight then released.

Hell you're only an 6 hour drive away you should come down in May and play with us and we can see how the steel shaft compare with the half and half shafts

actually i am in the northeast corner of sd so it might be a few more hour drive then that...sticks will be here monday it looks like...review willl be contingent on the freaking weather around here...45 and sunny all day long...blizzard warning all night tonight...lol

Got myself caught up on this thread again. You guys are doing an awesome job! .

+1... I can't get away from this thread. These reviewers are awesome, I need to just stop reading and get fitted for these.

haha, I completely agree, these guys are doing a fantastic job!

Got myself caught up on this thread again. You guys are doing an awesome job! These definitely seem like winners, and I can't wait to take some swings with them at the Outing in May. I guess my only real concern is the high-lofted short clubs. A GW at 46* seems so high. Having a tough time wrapping my head around it. I'm sure after a few swings, I'd get it though.

+1... I can't get away from this thread. These reviewers are awesome, I need to just stop reading and get fitted for these.

Thank you all for your kind words, the irons are so good I feel I have to do them justice with a great review. 9ironman, they are strong lofted but in person I think you would be shocked at how quick they get the ball up in the air. They have the ball flight of a 52* wedge but with the distance of a PW. I had my SW bent to 54* from 56* and that has filled the gap a little bit, but I find I can also take a little bit off a GW if I need to.

I actually found the specs page for the Di11's

Di11's Specs

How come there is 3 deg of loft difference between some clubs and 4 between others? I am asking anyone, not just Kevin. I am quoting him since he posted the specs. Which I thank him very much for! I couldn't find these on my own.

How come there is 3 deg of loft difference between some clubs and 4 between others? I am asking anyone, not just Kevin. I am quoting him since he posted the specs. Which I thank him very much for! I couldn't find these on my own.

I believe this is normal, longer irons need less loft change to achieve distance while shorter irons generally have larger loft changes to maintain the same gap in distance. I can't think of any set of club specs that I've ever seen that didn't have this variation in lofts thoughout the set.

It is normal for all sets to have a little variation in degrees, no worries.

So just got back from the range. Had a really productive day today. Started with my usual half swings and was not hitting the ball well. The pro at the range who I've taken some clinics with was right next to me and he took one look at my swing and told me I was doing the drill wrong. Corrected me and BOOM instant difference. I was using my arms instead of my pivot and man was it a small thing but really big difference. So when I got to my full swings I was really nailing them today. Felt like I was compressing the ball very well. I have been having some difficulty with the longer irons(4 & 5) so I tried concentrating specifically on hitting these well today. I pulled the 4 iron and started chunking the heck out of it. At this point it is mental. Grab my 6 and hit a good shot but I felt like my elbow was doing it's usual Freddie Couples chicken wing. So I started really trying to keep the elbow in and that resulted in some very nice contact. Took the 4 iron again and this time I was hitting it well. Playing it a little further back in my stance and making sure my elbow was tucked in my side results in nice 4 iron shots.

Started playing a little game where I would tee off and then hit my iron shot and then I would either chip or putt depending on how my iron shot came off. Basically just played a course that I can remember pretty vividly. That really makes a difference in terms of how I hit the ball. Sometimes when I am just hitting shot after shot I get really lazy. With this game I was more focused on each shot and it showed. The irons felt great today as usual. I have a round planned for tomorrow so I will post how that goes afterward. Really getting more and more confidence with these irons the more I play them.

Nice update CL, glad you were able to get out there after your troubles in the back.

Back