"Pros" at the range

Centre

Phil mark
Reaction score
Handicap
myself
A little background on my swing.. I have a tendency to open the club face A LOT, lean forward, and drop my front shoulder during my back swing which causes me to slice and shank. I just started taking lessons from a new teacher and it turns all of that is a result of some stuff the idiot I took a few lessons from last summer when i started playing had me doing (thats another story). After only 2 lessons, I'm hitting the ball better than i thought imaginable (as long as I don't slip into old habits). Sorry for the intro, I just wanted to the point out that I'm trying to work on specific things at the range that I know work when i do them right. Here's the actual point...

So, I'm at the range last weekend, take my first swing, and shank a ball. Line up another and another shank. So I stop for a minute to take a couple slow back swings and concentrate on what I know I'm doing wrong.

At this point, this older guy comes walking down from a few stalls over and leans on the wall of the stall i'm in and starts staring at me. I take another swing but now I'm only thinking about what this guy's deal is and shank it worse than before.

Now he starts going on about what i need to do to fix the shanks. I politely thank him for his help and tell him that I'm working on something. But he doesnt leave. so... another shank. He tells me that he teaches for a living and i need to listen to him and do exactly what he says. Again I politely decline. This goes on for 5-10 minutes and he just won't leave. After politely declining for the 5th time, I'm irate and tell him that he needs to go back where he came from and leave me the hell alone. He has the nerve to get pissed at me and lay down some rant as he walks away.

My whole range session was shot at that point and i dont think i hit a good shot the whole time because i was furious. Luckily, I actually had time to go back that night and had a great session.

I was at the range a little while ago hitting pretty much just my 7 iron and doing pretty well. I decide to hit a 5 irons before I leave. The first swing... big banana.

This guy comes walking up behind me and tells me that I'm closing the face too much and I need to open it way up.

I'm like "really? did you see that shot? i sliced the hell out of it."

He says "Exactly. The face was way too closed"

I told him i disagreed. He said I was wrong. And I again I told him that I know i have a tendency to open the face and that I disagreed. He gets mad at me, says he's trying to help, and calls me an a hole as he walks away. I guess it's possible to slice with a closed face if you have a really wild swing path (maybe?) but i know that's not my problem. Luckily I only had 3 balls left which i hit great so he didnt ruin my day like the other guy.

Anyway, what is with these people???

Maybe it's because I know that I'm not very good but I would never try to force advice on someone like that. I can't believe it happened twice in the same week. In fact, about a month ago, someone asked me for advice at the range because I'm lefty and his buddy (who is also a lefty) just starting playing. I politely told them that I just started playing last year and didn't feel comfortable telling him to do something that might be wrong and mess up his swing.

Anyone else ever run into nonsense like this?

I dont disagree with your thoughts on him. Crazy how some people act. But the closed/open is not always the main reason for slicing/hooking. Coming over the top is one of the most common issues with the swing and technically would be coming in closed (face angle) and yet still producing slice spin. Its because the ball is being spun sideways at the angle it is being hit. Most with OTT, either slice or pull the ball depending on the spin they are imparting.

I dont disagree with your thoughts on him. Crazy how some people act. But the closed/open is not always the main reason for slicing/hooking. Coming over the top is one of the most common issues with the swing and technically would be coming in closed (face angle) and yet still producing slice spin. Its because the ball is being spun sideways at the angle it is being hit. Most with OTT, either slice or pull the ball depending on the spin they are imparting.

Thanks for the info JB. I figured there are other reasons to slice. I'm fairly certain my problem is an open face though. The new instructor I have seems to be very respected and when I do what he told me I actually end up with a baby draw sometimes which i never thought i'd see. I didnt disagree with him about it being possible to slice with a closed face just that I didnt think it was my problem.

This happens to me all the time and it's the most frustrating thing in the world! I used to wear headphones at the range just so people would stop coming up to me and trying to tell me what I was doing wrong. Clearly, I know I am doing something wrong, and that I am not a good golfer, I don't need strangers coming up to me and reminding me of that. I always explain to people that I am taking lessons and this is what my instructor has asked me to do. I appreciate your help but I was given strict orders to not take advice from anyone else. They usually get pissed and storm off but I don't care. I understand that people are just trying to be nice, but it's annoying and really starts to become bothersome after a while.

This happens to me all the time and it's the most frustrating thing in the world! I used to wear headphones at the range just so people would stop coming up to me and trying to tell me what I was doing wrong. Clearly, I know I am doing something wrong, and that I am not a good golfer, I don't need strangers coming up to me and reminding me of that. I always explain to people that I am taking lessons and this is what my instructor has asked me to do. I appreciate your help but I was given strict orders to not take advice from anyone else. They usually get pissed and storm off but I don't care. I understand that people are just trying to be nice, but it's annoying and really starts to become bothersome after a while.

Ya the 2nd guy didnt really bother me that much... the first guy had me irate though because i was being so polite with him but he refused to leave me alone.

I agree with this approach.

Most "helpful" people are really trying help but they don't always realize how awkward that can make others feel, so don't get mad at them.

I generally don't like unsolicited advice either but there are exceptions. I learned the most valuable putting tip in my life from a guy I'd just met on the first tee who had the world's lousiest tee-to-green game but the man could putt like a pro! So when he saw me struggling with three-footers for several holes and said to me, "would you mind a little advice?" I told him that if he could help me fix this problem I'd wash his car for a year. He did indeed help me fix the problem (and he declined the car wash).

So not all unsolicited advice is bad.
You just have to be careful who you take it from. :D

I will try the things the range advisors offer if i am in the mood but i feel if you decline the assistance once that should be enough for someone to get the point

I'm sure I'll run into someone with helpful advice at some point and I completely understand that they're trying to be nice which is why i was so polite with both of them but I feel you have to draw the line somewhere if they won't leave you alone.

You showed a lot more patience than I would have. Why do some people think they're qualified to give golf advice?

Good luck in finding your swing.

What was the putting tip? :giggle:

I'm always surprised hearing these types of stories. I've never had anyone come up and try and help me out. I could use some

There is always somebody on the range trying to be an instructor, it can get aggravating!

I'm always surprised hearing these types of stories. I've never had anyone come up and try and help me out. I could use some

I've never had anyone try and help me at the range either, I guess they just think its hopeless.

I've never had anyone try and help me at the range either, I guess they just think its hopeless.

It could be the Ehhhhhhhhhdooooooooooookk also.

Either have I. I do think that one time of saying you dont need help should suffice though. That is so childish. Some people think if they can hit the ball a little they are qualified to give instruction.

I agree with JB. I tend to get steep at times with the driver and my pro has me really dragging the club on the ground during the take a way and it works well for me. JAT.

When I'm on the range, I want nothing from anyone. If I want swing advice, I'll find our pro. Women seem to attract a lot of unwanted attention also on the range. My wife refuses to go to the range unless I'm right there with her.

I'm sure I'll run into someone with helpful advice at some point and I completely understand that they're trying to be nice which is why i was so polite with both of them but I feel you have to draw the line somewhere if they won't leave you alone.

There is nothing worse than advise from an unknown when you're hitting bad. I'm like GG, headphones while I practice. Some ranges are more like social hour.
But I want to know how you let some stranger call you an a-hole and not have words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I want to know how you let some stranger call you an a-hole and not have words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haha... when i was younger i would have been in his face in a second... as i've gotten older (i'm 29 now), I've found that's it's easier to just laugh that kind of stuff off.. It's not my fault he doesnt realize that he's the a-hole. not worth my time for something like that.

Never once ha someone do it, I don't think I could ever walk up to someone and say something at the range. But on the course I would
Mention it once after a shot if they ask. Other than that I don't help
Cause I know it can be annoying

I haven't had anyone come up to me yet either. I agree though, when you say thanks but no thanks, they should leave. If they don't, then I think the volume of my voice would increase as I try to get the guy to leave me alone. Maybe, like I said it hasn't happened. I hear of it happening to ladies a lot more than guys though

I haven't had anyone come up to me yet either. I agree though, when you say thanks but no thanks, they should leave. If they don't, then I think the volume of my voice would increase as I try to get the guy to leave me alone. Maybe, like I said it hasn't happened. I hear of it happening to ladies a lot more than guys though

yep. exactly. If i hadnt run into the first guy over the weekend I wouldnt have thought anything of the 2nd guy since it was like a 30 second conversation even though he got pissed at me. I'm convinced the first guy was there trying to illicit new students. After our encounter, he just sat down and was scoping out what everyone at the range was doing and only hitting a ball every 10 minutes or so..

Yep, I have this problem plenty. Just the other day I had "the guy who makes you squirm" pull up in his cart and start watching OG and me on the range. He was giving OG a lot of lessons, even got out and started helping him. Then he hollered over to me that I needed to watch my left arm because I was bending it at the top. I've told him before that I take lessons and already have a coach but he just can't seem to help it. He doesn't try to coach me as bad as he tries to coach OG because I'm sure he feels my resistance. He really likes OG and is on a mission to make him a scratch golfer, bless his heart.

Yep, I have this problem plenty. Just the other day I had "the guy who makes you squirm" pull up in his cart and start watching OG and me on the range. He was giving OG a lot of lessons, even got out and started helping him. Then he hollered over to me that I needed to watch my left arm because I was bending it at the top. I've told him before that I take lessons and already have a coach but he just can't seem to help it. He doesn't try to coach me as bad as he tries to coach OG because I'm sure he feels my resistance. He really likes OG and is on a mission to make him a scratch golfer, bless his heart.

I bet I know "that guy". :D

We have some actual pros at our range...mini-tour players, who play in Florida in the winter. They just go about their business. Those are the guys you want advice from. Not those "other" guys. :)

Back