It's unfortunate as someone's breach of rules has resulted in the stigmatization of someone else who is playing by them.
Rules are rules after all.

This is the crux of the issue for me. For a game that prides itself so strongly on it's rules and the adherence to them, it's surprising to me that the person being made out to be the demon is the one following the rules, instead of the one... not following them. Furthermore, I've heard it said that Lee had been warned twice previously in the round for picking up early.

Anyway, the media backlash seems to have forced Pettersen to issue an apology, despite having done nothing wrong (other than refuse to ignore a rules breach :rolleyes:).
https://instagram.com/p/74r3eQOVA4/

Long live Laura Davies. Brilliant woman.

Petterson's apology is ironic given her attempt to benefit the team ultimately cost them the cup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is Suzanne's public announcement, I think this is a class act.

suzannpettersen:
I've never felt more gutted and truly sad about what went down Sunday on the 17th at the Solheim Cup.
I am so sorry for not thinking about the bigger picture in the heat of the battle and competition. I was trying my hardest for my team and put the single match and the point that could be earned ahead of sportsmanship and the game of golf itself! I feel like I let my team down and I am sorry.
To the U.S. team, you guys have a great leader in Juli , who I've always looked up to and respect so much. Knowing I need to make things "right," I had a face to face chat with her before leaving Germany this morning to tell her in person how I really feel about all of this. I wanted her also to know that I am sorry.
I hope in time the U.S. team will forgive me and know that I have learned a valuable lesson about what is truly important in this great game of golf which has given me so much in my life.
To the fans of golf who watched the competition on TV, I am sorry for the way I carried myself. I can be so much better and being an ambassador for this great game means a lot to me.
The Solheim Cup has been a huge part of my career. I wish I could change Sunday for many reasons. Unfortunately I can't.
This week I want to push forward toward another opportunity to earn the Solheim Cup back for Europe in the right way. And I want to work hard to earn back your belief in me as someone who plays hard, plays fair and plays the great game of golf the right way.

Watching highlights - this may have been one of my favorite golf events to watch ever. At least in years.

It was nice to see her apologize. Saw a post from Michelle Wie and sounds like she accepts the apology and is ready to move on

Watching highlights - this may have been one of my favorite golf events to watch ever. At least in years.

It's a shame that women's golf is so under rated. Some of the golf played is mind boggling.

Hull & Pettersen treated the situation on the green in a way that I have never seen even in my Monday night match play league. You either stay on the green and wait for your opponent to putt out or you clearly concede the putt. Simple courtesy. Maybe it was just poor sportsmanship or maybe it was premeditated gamesmanship but it wasn't right and they deserve criticism.

For the euros to have said that it was clear that they wanted to "see the putt" is pure fiction and complete spin doctoring. Listening to Carin Koch being interviewed by Jerry Foltz before the start of singles was painful too and it sure felt like she didn't believe even half of what she was saying.

FWIW Alison Lee deserves tons of criticism too and I think is getting a bit of a pass because of her age and inexperience. I also believe her statement that she thought she heard a concession prior to raking up the ball is pure fiction as well.

Good to see the apology from SP. Sure, Lee was foolish to pick up but the rest looked like gamesmanship and taking advantage of the situation.

So she knew she was wrong... Finally. Good for her.

It's a shame that women's golf is so under rated. Some of the golf played is mind boggling.
Agreed. It was exciting to see one player just go straight at the hole, and the next matching, or even getting inside, the previous shot. They were all certainly attacking the pins.

I think thats unfair towards SP. Many have missed these short pressure putts and if its not conceeded then its not conceeded. Its a mistake from the american team. The US player is at fault for getting into this situation and not SP. No way putts are given when the match is so close and so few holes left. Shame on you all for giving SP the blame.

Geezer said:
This is the crux of the issue for me. For a game that prides itself so strongly on it's rules and the adherence to them, it's surprising to me that the person being made out to be the demon is the one following the rules, instead of the one... not following them. Furthermore, I've heard it said that Lee had been warned twice previously in the round for picking up early.

The issue is SP had the chance to say "That was good" and the referee wouldn't have argued.

Nobody would have an issue with her actions had she just stood there and watched while Allison Lee putted. However, according to reports, when the putt was missed, both SP and Hull had started walking to the next green. You don't do that if you're not giving the putt.

The ruling was correct, but there was a lot of suspicion that SP only decided on her "I wanted to see her putt it" stance once she realized what had happened and by taking that stance, would win the hole. The fact that she later apologized may lend credence to that being exactly what happened, or it may have simply been a reaction to the backlash.

I'll gave Suzann credit that sounds like a sincere apology.

It takes a strong person to stand up and basically say I was an asshole and completely in the wrong.

I'll gave Suzann credit that sounds like a sincere apology.

It takes a strong person to stand up and basically say I was an asshole and completely in the wrong.

I agree with this as she could have held firm in her conviction although I believe it would have had a Tiger like affect on the rest of her career if she did. I think the apology will go a long way towards moving forward and it will be interesting to see how things shake out at her next state side tournament.

Its easy to apologize after the fact, but sometimes its your actions at a particular moment that can define your character.

Its easy to apologize after the fact, but sometimes its your actions at a particular moment that can define your character.

Listen man I thought it was a coward move too but we all make mistakes. She didn't deflect any of the blame other than saying she let her competitiveness get the best of her. I give her credit .

We're not talking about one of the felons in the NFL . She made a mistake and apparently is owning it. I bet she got more flack from her own team than anything.

Live and let live. While a little bit low if this is the worst thing she ever does in her life she will be just fine.

Bubba likes to apologize after the fact as well. I am pleased to see the response, although I saw it coming a mile away.

I agree but I personally like the way she said it. Just pretty much said I was wrong and I apologize . Didn't seem to be spinning the facts, but maybe I am gullible .

I agree but I personally like the way she said it. Just pretty much said I was wrong and I apologize . Didn't seem to be spinning the facts, but maybe I am gullible .

Maybe.... But a good PR team is a good PR team. If I was getting slaughtered by some of the more storied Solheim Cup participants I'd probably apologize too --- Although I'd never be that kind of jerk on the course so I'm not sure I'm a good sample comparison.

Props to her for her apology, BUT she did not seem that sad and/or gutted Saturday when she defended her actions.

I think thats unfair towards SP. Many have missed these short pressure putts and if its not conceeded then its not conceeded. Its a mistake from the american team. The US player is at fault for getting into this situation and not SP. No way putts are given when the match is so close and so few holes left. Shame on you all for giving SP the blame.

hahaha! Shame on us? I've been in this situation before, repeatedly when just playing for a beer or something bigger. The putt that is mistakenly raked is ALWAYS conceded. In fact the only time it hasn't been conceded was an unofficial THP gathering way back in 2012 and it stands as one of the more entertaining yet ugly stories I tell about someone blowing a gasket. No one is saying the US player shouldn't have raked it, but almost everyone is saying that SP is a huuuuuuuuge ***** for what she did and how she did it.

Shame on SP for trying to win like that.

that was definitely a well-crafted apology from sp. i like that there were no "i'm sorry if i offended anybody" or "while it was within the rules of golf" because that would have cheapened the statement. but it reeks of pr.

Can we talk about how awful the uniforms for these events always are? So, so bad.

Duval and Chamblee are spot on in their assessment. http://www.golfchannel.com/media/controversy-will-mark-14th-solheim-cup/

Lee made a rookie mistake. On the 17th hole of a match play event, a 1.5 or 2' foot putt is not good. They may be good on the front nine. But, on the last 3-4 holes, that putt is not good. Is Pettersson a hardcore competitor? Yes. Is she a b****? I don't know. But, now, she is being made the scapegoat because the Captains did not do their jobs with the Ref and control the situation.

I think SP's apology today was sincere. But, I would also like to see something from Inkster. Her calling that ruling "BS" is BS. But, that is what happens when competitors get interviewed in the heat of the moment.
In match play, concessions are about eye contact and hearing "That's good". None of that happened in this situation. Lee made a rookie mistake. She paid for it. Fortunately for the US, they used it as a rallying cry and made a historic comeback.

The fans that give SP grief at future US events are probably the same kind of fans the would yell at Garcia to "hit the ball" when he was going through his swing issues. SP will probably get some jeers. But, I think true fans of golf will just enjoy watching her play.

I'm glad that the US won and I can't wait for the next Solheim Cup.

USA! USA! USA!

I loved watching this. I am so excited for next year with the Olympics and Ryder Cup.

Back