How's Your Handicap

How's Your Handicap

• Total voters

TC

Keg Thrower
Reaction score
Handicap
I just finished logging some dated scorecards into my fairway files account and it got me to thinking.

1. How many of you guys use a service, whether it be online or in a club, to keep up with a handicap?

2. If you don't do this, have you thought about it?

3. What else do you like about the services that you use? (I like fairway files b/c we have a group that a few of us THP'ers belong to so we can see each others scores/stats/etc.)

4. Do you think that it's important?

5. Do you think keeping a handicap is important overall?

6. What is your actual handicap?

Anyway, I started using fairwayfiles last year and really like it. If the course I'm playing is in the database it takes just a few minutes to log everything and if it's not in there, it's really easy to add it.

I love the statistics that it provides. I deduced that I needed to convert gir's into birdies so that will be a goal of mine in 2011.

Anyway, just thinking out loud here.

I started using OOBgolf last year to track my stats and handicap.

I like it because you can track all of the relevant statistics and have a nice view of what your strengths and weaknesses are. Also they have an android app now so I can keep track while I'm out on the course.

I think it's important for me in that now that I'm trying to improve I can see what I need to work on, what is working well and have a place to track my improvement.

I also find it annoying when my swing feels good, then I log a round and my handicap goes up, hahaha.

I just logged 3 rounds, one of which was my all time low score (73), the other two were an 80 and a 78 and my handicap went up. Go figure.

I use a facebook application. But I am going to look into this fairway files thing and possibly make the switch.

I use a facebook application. But I am going to look into this fairway files thing and possibly make the switch.

That would be great. If you do and want in our group, shoot a pm to One-T, as he set it up.

I also find it annoying when my swing feels good, then I log a round and my handicap goes up, hahaha.

I just logged 3 rounds, one of which was my all time low score (73), the other two were an 80 and a 78 and my handicap went up. Go figure.

On the other side it's nice to put a few scores in for rounds that didn't feel very good and see the handicap go down anyway!

Excellent thread TC!

1. I use GHIN because of the club I'm a member at uses it so that pretty much settles it for me. They post all our scores that we shoot on Men's night and other times I play outside of that I'll go online and post my scores.
2. If I didn't belong here I would use something online or maybe even pay the $25 to stay with GHIN
3. I don't really use any of the other services GHIN has, in fact I don't even know what other services are available to me!
4. Yeah I think having a legit handicap is important, not so much if you're just playing with buddies, but any sort of official tournaments that I play in require one so it makes sense to have it accurate and up to date.
5. Yes I think keeping a handicap is important, like I said in #4 the tournament requirements is one part but for me to keep track of my handicap as it rises and hopefully drops.

On the other side it's nice to put a few scores in for rounds that didn't feel very good and see the handicap go down anyway!

That is another excellent point. Nothing like shooting a good score on a tough track to drop that sucker.

So this fairway files business, if I'm on GHIN is there good reason for me to get in on that as well or not really? I think it would be cool to be a part of that group you guys have setup.

I don't have one, but one of my goals this coming season is set one up. I'll send a PM to One-T as the time draws nearer. I want to keep track of my stats as well as my score. It will help me know what yo focus on. I don't think it's overly important to everyone. Some people I would think don't want the hassle of keeping track as it will then take away the fun from the game. Just my opinion, but these types of things are important to me.

I have never had (or tracked) a handicap officially. I think that this year I am going to record every round I play. One of my biggest problems is that I don't always take things seriously (ha ha). Which causes me not to really concentrate on how I should be managing my round.

I belive that recording my scores and actuallly monitoring stats hopefully will make me focus more on course management.

So this fairway files business, if I'm on GHIN is there good reason for me to get in on that as well or not really? I think it would be cool to be a part of that group you guys have setup.

Well, you could use it just to be in our group and keep up with some stats, the stats are one of my favorite features dude.

yeah, I would have to invite you! and.....ok, set it up and let me know when you have done it

I keep my handicap on GHIN. I play in a lot of tournaments and lady's play days so I have to keep a handicap to be eligible. I like having a history of my scores so I can keep up with my progress (or lack thereof). Last year my handicap was a 24 and it was fun to watch it drop on GHIN to a 12.9. Now it is slowly rising back up because my scores have not been so good lately. In fact, most of the 10 out of 20 scores it is counting, will drop off soon and my handicap will probably skyrocket if I don't get it together. It's motivational!

In Indiana we now use Blue Golf which is through the Indiana section of the PGA in place of the old GHIN program. I like having a HC because I play in a league and some tournaments so it is a must for me and I like that the new program allows us to track certain stats. It is a great, easy way to track area's that need work or to track progress.

Ive used the facebook one, cant remember the name right now though. It seemed like it did the job just fine. I have a new app on my android called golf tracks that I will be trying out when things thaw and dry out.

Well, you could use it just to be in our group and keep up with some stats, the stats are one of my favorite features dude.
That would be good, I don't track stats currently so I should do that anyway. I'll PM One-T.

So ghin kicks out certain amount of scores or certain scores?

So ghin kicks out certain amount of scores or certain scores?

Yes, it only counts the best 10 out of the last 20 scores.

Well it is based on the 10 best rounds of your last 20 rounds correct? so if something lower was kicked out of the 20 by 80 and 78 that would explain why it went up...

+1 I use OOB as well and love this capability
I started using OOBgolf last year to track my stats and handicap.

I like it because you can track all of the relevant statistics and have a nice view of what your strengths and weaknesses are. Also they have an android app now so I can keep track while I'm out on the course.

I think it's important for me in that now that I'm trying to improve I can see what I need to work on, what is working well and have a place to track my improvement.

Yes, it only counts the best 10 out of the last 20 scores.

Interesting. So you're only 1/2 as good as your handicap indicates? hahaha, just kidding.

The provider I use doesn't kick out anything.

I registered for an OOB account last year - and started tracking all my scores.

Its nice bc it has an app for my iphone - that i enter my stats for the previous hole when i finish. Tracks Driving accuracy, GIR, putts - etc.

I think its important to gauge progress for me

OOB has me at a 13.3

Which i think its kinda low - i know handicap is an average - but i rarely shoot 85's and certainly not consistantly especially on a course im not familiar with.

I had a talk with another THP member about course handicaps etc etc - ive never really played with my handicap - what i mean is - where you get strokes for holes and adjusted scores - ive never done any of that - since i dont really play competitive golf. Interesting to see how low i can get it this year!

I use the GHIN system. My handicap has moved up since I move to the Senior tees. You would think it would have come down, due to the shorter yardage however the slope rating is different. My average score would have to be a 75 for me to have a 10 handicap, from the Senior tees at our course.

Interesting. So you're only 1/2 as good as your handicap indicates? hahaha, just kidding.

The provider I use doesn't kick out anything.

This is wear the rub runs in. Most people that do not use an official handicap believe or get confused by what a handicap is. Many believe a handicap is or around your average score. That is not true.

Back