Trying To Break 90 Club

Can I join this thread??? I'm still trying to break 100, but 90 is a great goal!!!

Went sub 90 the last two rounds this past weekend. Shot 87 and 88. I think the key was NOT hitting the driver at all. However, in a round earlier this week, I was absolutely nailing the big stick and making great contact with the irons but the short game went to pot and I shot a 93. Going to see how many sub 90's I can get this year. Or, perhaps I should bump it up to sub 95's to increase my numbers. Oh, that would be another thread. haha

Good luck everyone!

My key to breaking 90 is not having any touchdowns

the 7's seem to be the crippler for me, and I either have none or 3 which makes it darn near impossible to break 90

So true Mike. It seems I always have that blow up hole somewhere. I honestly think I get ahead of myself or start to pay close attention to the score and what I "need" to shoot. I know my weaknesses, but understanding them and correcting them is the key. I guess some lessons and practice can always help. I would like to have a full month (minimum of 4 rounds) of sub 90 rounds some time this year.

"Where is my PGA Professional?" Michael Breed keeps telling me to go see them.

Played my best ever today. 40 for nine (+5).

So, what was different? First of all I was on my own with a foursome behind me, so had all the time in the world to contemplate my shots. Also on the way to the club I said to myself that now you do a 90 minute proper warm-up session. And once on the course you're gonna focus like it was the US open.

Voila! Best shortgame to date. Think I hit one bad shot today, but recovered nicely from the deep stuff. Not a single 3 putt, and a couple of ups and downs. Really the cliche about how golf 90% mental and 10% mental seems to holds true.

Pity I didn't have time for the back nine though.

So true Mike. It seems I always have that blow up hole somewhere. I honestly think I get ahead of myself or start to pay close attention to the score and what I "need" to shoot. I know my weaknesses, but understanding them and correcting them is the key. I guess some lessons and practice can always help. I would like to have a full month (minimum of 4 rounds) of sub 90 rounds some time this year.

"Where is my PGA Professional?" Michael Breed keeps telling me to go see them.

yeah I dont even look at thescorecard anymore to see where I stand, if I ever do, its usually on the last hole which does me no good lol

If the PGA could change the standard round to 27 holes, while only counting the last 18, the break 90 club would be easy. Two weeks ago 52-43, last week 54-44, 51-43. The first 3 or 4 holes kill me every time. And if i go to the range beforehand, i just shank everything i hit. The range is not my firend

Know exactly what you mean, front nine is usually 55+ and back 9 something closer to 45+. Quite happy to admit that my course management is not great

i hadnt broke 90 on 18 until last week. I flirted with some 91's but i think the biggest was eliminating penalties off the tee (by concentrating on driver accuracy not length) and those blowup holes. I know i dont hit good 5-6 irons; ill hit em off the toe or something and get 120 yards.. when i get stroke a nice 7-8 iron 150 yards consistanly.

Finally everythign started clicking the last 2 rounds. shot an 86 and a 81. The 81 was the biggest improvement in a round to date. After starting in the 100's again this year, then in the low 90's - ten strokes off in a 2 week span is a lot.

But i focused on the drives... aiming away from trouble... and getting it to the green... even chipping 10 yards off the green in 3 gives me par chances.. And after my short game lesson - im leaving my chips 2-3 feet from cup... which is a far cry from the beginning of the season -- 10-20 foot putts.

No 3 putts, no penalties, eliminate the blow up holes - you can save a lot of strokes. Ive learned. Even working on chipping for an extended time - since most of us in the 90's dont hit alot of GIR's - you have to get those chips close.

Now to break 80...putts under 30 per round... absolutely no penalties off the tee.... cant card anything worse than a double...

i hadnt broke 90 on 18 until last week. I flirted with some 91's but i think the biggest was eliminating penalties off the tee (by concentrating on driver accuracy not length) and those blowup holes. I know i dont hit good 5-6 irons; ill hit em off the toe or something and get 120 yards.. when i get stroke a nice 7-8 iron 150 yards consistanly.

Finally everythign started clicking the last 2 rounds. shot an 86 and a 81. The 81 was the biggest improvement in a round to date. After starting in the 100's again this year, then in the low 90's - ten strokes off in a 2 week span is a lot.

But i focused on the drives... aiming away from trouble... and getting it to the green... even chipping 10 yards off the green in 3 gives me par chances.. And after my short game lesson - im leaving my chips 2-3 feet from cup... which is a far cry from the beginning of the season -- 10-20 foot putts.

No 3 putts, no penalties, eliminate the blow up holes - you can save a lot of strokes. Ive learned. Even working on chipping for an extended time - since most of us in the 90's dont hit alot of GIR's - you have to get those chips close.

Now to break 80...putts under 30 per round... absolutely no penalties off the tee.... cant card anything worse than a double...

thats great man, yeah just keeping the driver in play is saving me strokes, no matter what the distance. Allthough I did take 7 penalty stokes last weekend at a tough course, I took only 1 yesterday after I slapped my ball straight right into the bushes

Way to go Matt. I finally broke 90 today, just by one. Had a great front 9, shooting a 42, the back was a different story, came home in 47. Now that I'm in the 80 (loved that decade), I'm gonna stay there and get lower.

Today I carded matching 44's for a nice balanced 88! Managed to keep my driver in play, that was the key.....if I can keep this up I'll be ready for the 2nd edition of the Morgan Cup!!!

Today I carded matching 44's for a nice balanced 88! Managed to keep my driver in play, that was the key.....if I can keep this up I'll be ready for the 2nd edition of the Morgan Cup!!!

Congratulations! I can usually guess the score I'll have on any hole based solely on the quality of the tee shot, ie, keeping the driver in play. Keep it up!

i managed to hit an 89 today was very happy with how i was hitting the ball even got 3 birdies but hit 2 treble bogey's which kinda killed it. but all in all was very happy with todays round

Great job guys, its a great feeling to hit your goals.

Man if I keep this up, I'm going to have to move myself to the trying to break 80 thread!!!!

Played early this morning with some work vendors ( nice to have a job where I can play golf and still be "at work" ever now and then :)

I wasn't even paying attention and when we finished up the guy keeping the scorecard told me I shot 85! 42 on the front and 43 on the back, my best round in about 2 years!

Early this season I had two rounds of 90 and several more in the low 90s, then struggled to break 100, today I finally broke through for an 85. :clapp:
It has been years since I shot in the 80s.

Nice job, Don!!

Posted via Tapatalk.

Congrats all! I really hope to join the celebration as I have been getting a little closer lately with 91s and 93s. However, I just moved back a tee box due to league night so I may have to wait a bit longer.

Well, I have been hanging in the Breaking 100 thread, but my last 10 games have all been in the 90's so I'm moving in here. Hiya Roomies

I just broke 90 for the first time ever (86). This year is the first year I have gotten serious into playing golf. Most of the time I would play maybe 1-2 times per year. Went out and got new clubs, spent money on a lesson, and many days at the range. I have played about 20 rounds this year so far. It is great when you finally get to see the work pay off

In the club. Best so far this year is 97. Best last year was 92, so there is hope.

Its been a crazy year, both life & weather-wise. I played just the 3rd round of the year last Sunday and surprise, surprise carded an 88. Was playing with two usual partners, f-i-l & his friend. We were joined by the friend's b-i-l, a very solid golfer. I trailed him by 5 at the turn, 40-45, but I managed a 43 on the more difficult back nine to his 50 (he struggled off the tee), to beat him 88-90. I had a legit eagle putt, 25 feet, on the signature 15th hole and tapped in for a birdie. The rough was US Open-like, 6 inches everywhere and it became a focused effort just to get out of it each time. My f-i-l's friend began refering to it as an "automatic penalty stroke". He & I are normally very competitive and he took a 103. He's really trying to find his driver & was losing balls all day.

Hopefully they'll get the shaggy rough trimmed soon, maybe I'll make an eagle putt, and start thinking about breaking 80!

It was the first real day all season that the course was totally dry so I was already excited. Plus, I've been playing my last 6 or 7 rounds in the 90's which was something i'd never done before. So, I go out today and have my best day of golf ever...matching 41's on a par 70 course. If only my ball didn't hit a rocky cart path and take an abrupt right turn into a pond it had no business taking and I made one or two 6 footers I had it could have been in the 70s! Oh well, i'll just have to try for 70's next time

It's going to happen for me this summer- It has too!!! I've hit 90 several times this past year playing only once every two months, but now that I live on a GC and can play more often I can't wait for a magical 88. That's my goal.

Back