Forum Testing - Nike VR Pro Combo Irons

We believe that all skill levels should get to review equipment and that it should be open to all active forum members.

I was definitely joking around with that comment.

I hope you didnt take offense to that, I have read a lot of the reviews and I think THP is far and above the best golf forum on the web. The connections you build with these companies are second to none and they provide great opportunities for everyone!

Thanks for all you guys do

I was definitely joking around with that comment.

I understand what everybody is saying. It seems I must reiterate time and time again that THP chooses active posters for testing. We would never force someone to be active on the forum (obviously), but we also will make sure that testers are picked accordingly when handing out expensive golf equipment. It seems that many talk about how they will become active if they get to test, but unfortunately we do not work that way as we must insure our readers that reviews will take place. The only way to see that is based on activity.

I dont know about Nike Irons. I use the Bstone J38's and love em. Softer material.

I dont know about Nike Irons. I use the Bstone J38's and love em. Softer material.

Huh? Clearly did not read the first post.

Im going out on a limb and guessing that this is merely a post to get to 10, so you can enter a contest. :D

Im going out on a limb and guessing that this is merely a post to get to 10, so you can enter a contest. :D

ROFL maybe...

Or Bridgestones are formed out of clouds

I understand what everybody is saying. It seems I must reiterate time and time again that THP chooses active posters for testing. We would never force someone to be active on the forum (obviously), but we also will make sure that testers are picked accordingly when handing out expensive golf equipment. It seems that many talk about how they will become active if they get to test, but unfortunately we do not work that way as we must insure our readers that reviews will take place. The only way to see that is based on activity.

Sorry for making that joke. I totally understand, completely agree with, and think THPs testing process/selection of testers is the best way to ensure the quality of reviews that THP and the OEM deserve and expect.

That sentence has the word "and" in there a little much. Haha

Any one know when they are picking the 7 very lucky people?

That is hilarious!!

1. What irons do you currently play? Taylormade Burner Plus graphite stiff
2. What is your handicap index? 15.4
3. What do you look for in an iron set? In order, Accuracy, Forgiveness, Distance, Distance Gapping, Looks
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Well I haven't seen them in person but in the pictures they look pretty sleek. I like them, but they wouldn't be my favorite. I'd say 7.5 out of 10.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? Well I don't post a lot but I am on THP everyday. I am able to golf every week. Sometimes twice a week. I would definately keep the posts coming if I was chosen. I don't know much about these irons, but I would think they would be better suited to a lower HC player than myself.

Last edited:
Thank you again to THP & Nike for this great contest.

1. What irons do you currently play? Mizuno MX-300's, I was fitted for them and told by my fitter that I am a fairly good ball striker and can use the small amount of forgiveness the MX-300's offer. I would still like to try a blade though.

2. What is your handicap index? I only use oobgolf to track stats and handicap but right now oob has me as an 8.4, or course that is mostly from the senior tees as I am in my mid 60's. Although in the summer I am still long enough to move back a set of tees.

3. What do you look for in an iron set? I look for an iron that feels good to me, solid on good hits and provides feedback on the not so good shots. It must be pleasing to the eye in the bag, in my hands and at set up. I also like to be able to cut and draw a shot if the situation dictates that I must. I am not a fan of the larger GI irons at all.

4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? The VR Pro is a very clean looking iron in the photos I have seen. I have not had the pleasure of seeing them in person, but have seen many pictures on the web and I like the look.

5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? As a retiree, I am on the driving range either 1 or 2 days a week, I play golf 2 to 4 times a week. Last week, I was on the course 3 times, the week before 6 times. That is pretty typical of me year round, the only thing that stops that routine is rain or snow/ice, and I have only experienced the snow/ice about 8 times in my life. I would have no problem posting my thought at least twice weekly and probably more, I will have nothing to interfere with my testing and could post updates as long as deemed necessary. I am very active on THP, I read most posts made and have gone back and read many of the older ones, I have tested equipment before and have written what I believe to be very honest and helpful reviews, I support THP through THP store purchases and praise for this site to anyone who will listen to me, and have Facebook and Twitter accounts that I can update. I have also written reviews on items that I happen to own when questions have been posed on the forum. I am on this website for several hours a day except when I am traveling.

Last edited:
cant wait to see who the lucky 7 are for this awesome opportunity!

Thank you again to THP & Nike for this great testing opportunity.

1. What irons do you currently play? Mizuno MX-300's, I was fitted for them and told by my fitter that I am a fairly good ball striker and can use the small amount of forgiveness the MX-300's offer. I would still like to try a blade though.

2. What is your handicap index? I only use oobgolf to track stats and handicap but right now oob has me as an 8.4, or course that is mostly from the senior tees as I am in my mid 60's. Although in the summer I am still long enough to move back a set of tees.

3. What do you look for in an iron set? I look for an iron that feels good to me, solid on good hits and provides feedback on the not so good shots. It must be pleasing to the eye in the bag, in my hands and at set up. I also like to be able to cut and draw a shot if the situation dictates that I must. I am not a fan of the larger GI irons at all.

4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? The VR Pro is a very clean looking iron in the photos I have seen. I have not had the pleasure of seeing them in person, but have seen many pictures on the web and I like the look.

5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? As a retiree, I am on the driving range either 1 or 2 days a week, I play golf 2 to 4 times a week. Last week, I was on the course 3 times, the week before 6 times. That is pretty typical of me year round, the only thing that stops that routine is rain or snow/ice, and I have only experienced the snow/ice about 8 times in my life. I would have no problem posting my thought at least twice weekly and probably more, I will have nothing to interfere with my testing and could post updates as long as deemed necessary. I am very active on THP, I read most posts made and have gone back and read many of the older ones, I have tested equipment before and have written what I believe to be very honest and helpful reviews, I support THP through THP store purchases and praise for this site to anyone who will listen to me. I have also written reviews on items that I happen to own when questions have been posed on the forum. I am on this website for several hours a day except when I am traveling.

There i fixed the bolded for ya :D

I know how geeked I was when I received the Boccieri Heavy Driver PM - I'm excited for the people who get to experience that same joy!

1. What irons do you currently play? Currently I am gaming the Cleveland CG7 BP Tours.
2. What is your handicap index? While I dont have an USGA or GHIN handicap currently, I would approximate it to be about an 17 based on my rounds this spring.
3. What do you look for in an iron set? I look for an iron that both looks good at address, thin toplines inspire confidence for me. I also look for a club that has some forgiveness, but also has plenty of workability. Also a club that gives plenty of feedback on mishits, and a buttery feel on solid strikes.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? One word. SEXY! I have seen these in a local store and I feel they are some of the best looking irons available in '11.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? For testing I plan on taking these clubs to my local course. Hitting them both on the driving range, and in rounds of golf. I own two other sets of irons, the CG7 Tours and a set of Wilson Staff Di9's. I will bring all three sets to Austad's Golf in Fargo and hit them on a launch monitor to get my results for each set. I currently play about 4-5 rounds a week, and am on the driving range at least 6 times a week. My activity on THP has been down since my injury, but now that I am healthy and in good golfing form I have been back on the forums and active again. I will be able to post pictures, updates and answer any questions almost every night of the week.

Having been picked for the last driver testing, I'm sitting this one out. Good luck to all that have entered! These should be fun irons to review.

This is a great opportunity for some lucky testers. I have heard some great things about these irons and they look amazing. Thanks to Nike Golf and THP for making this possible. Good luck to those who are trying to run these irons through the gauntlet. I look forward to reading your reviews.

With summer happening I really just need something to keep myself busy besides playing golf. So why not just do reviews/write-ups while playing?

Certainly would be a neat opportunity but I can't wait to see how these things are for fellow THPers, I'm really interested in these things.

With summer happening I really just need something to keep myself busy besides playing golf. So why not just do reviews/write-ups while playing?

Certainly would be a neat opportunity but I can't wait to see how these things are for fellow THPers, I'm really interested in these things.

+1. I can't wait to see who is chosen, I am so excited!

1. What irons do you currently play? Currently play Srixon i-701 tours w/ dgs300
2. What is your handicap index? now 12.2, was 9.8 in march
3. What do you look for in an iron set? looks, got to be sexy and forged.......
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? very nice compact players irons w/ some forgiveness
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? go to the range once a week, and play in tourneies every other weekend. new to this board, will be posting much more in the future.

thanks forthe opportunity.

1. What irons do you currently play? TaylorMade Burner Plus
2. What is your handicap index? Unofficially 8
3. What do you look for in an iron set? I like an all around set. Mostly, I like workability. Usually I like a thinner sole and topline, but for some reason the irons I have now appealed to me, so I guess I have no preference there. Having a good feel to them is important, too.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Wow. These irons look so much better than mine, and definitely better than previous Nike irons like someone already said. I think these look like a winner.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? Well, everyday that it isn't raining, you can find me at the range hitting a few hundred shots, as I strive to improve. When I'm not hitting on the range, I'm out playing. I'm an excellent ball striker, and really like all different kinds of irons, so my reviews would be unbiased. I check this site multiple times a day, and would talk more if I knew what to say. I also have a Droid, so updating when I'm not around a computer isn't a problem. With the job of testing these irons, I would definitely give multiple updates as needed.

I definitely don't want this to seem that way, just stating that multiple updates would be provided. Don't know if you saw it that way, just making sure though.

Back