Cleveland Golf Fitting Studio

MarcH

1-900-Foley-Boys
Reaction score
Handicap
Work
Made a trip over to California to check out the Cleveland fitting studio this week. I had to make an appointment ahead of time as they are normally booked up for about two weeks out. Pulled up to find the huge Cleveland compound in a nice business park in Huntington Beach. After a quick cheesy pic in front of the main sign we (GF and I) parked and headed in for the fun.

The front lobby was nice with a good deal of memorabilia of past Cleveland Staff major winners, some new clubs as well as some of the older models and plenty of other cool little golf fixings to occupy your short wait.

Ruben was my fitter today. He was a super knowledgeable, professional and friendly guy. After a quick warm up we started off with irons. Decided on the CG 16 Tour Black Pearl's. When we got all the specs corrected, the irons felt super solid. Love the classic lines from above and the black pearl is something new to me, but I'm liking the look of them. Also went with the CG 16 Black Pearl wedges.

We then moved on to drivers. My current driver has a shaft that does the opposite of what I needed, so I was very eager to try out some new stuff! Ended up being most consistent with the Launcher Ultralite TL 310 9.5 w/ Miyazaki 59gram stiff shaft.

Stats with that driver:
Avg. Swing Speed: 112.0
Avg. Launch Angle: 13.8
Back Spin Range: 2580
Avg. Ball Speed: 163.5

I was skeptical about the ultralite concept but the club really felt great, held up nicely through the swing, and I couldn't really notice that it was lighter than normal. Also went with the Launcher Ultralite FL 3 wood with the same shaft.

Mashie time! I've been wanting to hit one of these since watching the infomercials late night on golf channel laying in bed. Went for the M3 20.5 Degree with the same shaft as my woods. Tried out the M3 TOUR but those only come in 89gram shafts and I just couldn't seem to make a good swing with the heavier shaft.

With all that on top of ball fitting and grip fitting, we moved on to the Never Compromise section to find me a putter. Went for the Dinero "EXEC" putter as it was the closest to what I like to see in a putter. Ruben had me hit some putts and he had a high speed camera to look at how far the ball skidded/bounced and all the gadgetry to tell ball speed, loft and if there was any side spin on my putts. It was pretty cool to analyze the roll of the ball that much. Looking forward to having a custom fitted putter, and a pretty good looking one at that.

The fitting was free, but I would've paid a decent amount if it wasn't - it was well worth it. If you're on the fence about getting fitted for anything, go ahead and get it done, you'll be glad you did.

Here's a few pics from today. Will update in a few weeks when I get all the goods.

The pics don't really do this place justice, didn't get a pic of the huge wall of clubs or the putting fitting center unfortunately.

Sounds like an awesome experience man. Enjoy the M3, best hybo ever!

This is very similar to the Kingdom from TaylorMade and the Oven from Nike. I've never really gotten into Cleveland clubs, but I wouldn't mind gaming an entire bag of their products right now. The lightweight drivers and fairway woods are so easy to hit and go a mile. The Mashie is probably the easiest club in the world to hit, especially from bad lies. The CG16 irons are really nice, as well as the wedges. Srixon products are really good too. Sounds like your bag is about to be simply amazing, can't wait to see some pics and get some updates in a couple weeks.

Great stuff Marc! I can't wait to see your new bag full of Cleveland gear. So glad your experience was everything you wanted and more.

Great report Marc, sounds like a great day. It blows my mind that the fitting is free, that would cost pretty good at most places. Congrats on the new sticks and hit 'em straight.

Nice write-up. Cleveland really seems to have a quality full line of products at the moment.

Great write-up! Was the fitting free because you bought product or is it always free?

Excellent write up Cleveland is really putting out some nice clubs lately.

Great write-up! Was the fitting free because you bought product or is it always free?

I was wondering the same thing.

Pretty sure its free regardless. Of course you can only hit Cleveland/Srixon/NeverCompromise products while in there. The woods are super hot, irons felt like butter in my hands...I think they just get the club in your hand and let the product do the selling.

Welcome to the Cleveland fan club Marc. Sounds like you had a great fitting session. Can't wait to see your game up close and personal when we visit you in Vegas in December.

Marc - I'm curious to know more about your putter fitting. What were your final specs and what did they do to determine what would work for you?

Marc - I'm curious to know more about your putter fitting. What were your final specs and what did they do to determine what would work for you?

Well for starters I picked the head that I like best out of the Dinero line up, went with the Exec. After making strokes with the 35" and the 34" I went with the 34.

Then he gave me a special ball with 3 dots on the side and a line on top. I would set it in a certain spot and the camera would record the ball leaving the club face and show much skid/forward rotation, loft at impact, side spin and a couple other things I cant remember. Since I putt with the ball forward in my stance I needed a stronger loft, so he bent it 1 degree strong and after that the ball was coming off the face perfect. I wasn't getting any sidespin with the standard lie angle so we stuck with that.

So 34", 1 degree strong, std lie angle. All of the NeverCompromise putters were nice, but the Exec fit my eye the best.

Nice. Sounds like an awesome experience.....

They fit all my wedges for free after I bought them from TGW. Pretty good experience and they adjusted the lie angles for free.

They also gave me some free Srixon Z-Star XV balls because I hit three balls in a row that lined right back at me, one hit me near the eye. I didn't complain or anything, but they were very courteous and sent people down to check on the cage and on me (I just kept hitting balls and had no idea he called people down). So if you are ever in Orange County and have Cleveland products, you should definitely schedule an appointment.

Pretty sure its free regardless. Of course you can only hit Cleveland/Srixon/NeverCompromise products while in there. The woods are super hot, irons felt like butter in my hands...I think they just get the club in your hand and let the product do the selling.

That's exactly what happened with me, it's the butter factor everytime!

Well for starters I picked the head that I like best out of the Dinero line up, went with the Exec. After making strokes with the 35" and the 34" I went with the 34.

Then he gave me a special ball with 3 dots on the side and a line on top. I would set it in a certain spot and the camera would record the ball leaving the club face and show much skid/forward rotation, loft at impact, side spin and a couple other things I cant remember. Since I putt with the ball forward in my stance I needed a stronger loft, so he bent it 1 degree strong and after that the ball was coming off the face perfect. I wasn't getting any sidespin with the standard lie angle so we stuck with that.

So 34", 1 degree strong, std lie angle. All of the NeverCompromise putters were nice, but the Exec fit my eye the best.

Interesting. I always wondered what they did in the fitting sessions. Thanks!

Sounds like a great experience. Maybe I need to move closer to civilization.

Marc -- This week will be a long one for you buddy. You are going to be excited like a kid waiting to see some goodies under the Christmas tree! I can see you looking out of your house window. If a UPS/Fedex truck comes near you and does not stop, you will be chasing it down the road trying to bite the tires off . Yea man, new equipment brings the pit bulldog out of ya :D. I am happy for ya :thumb:

P.S. You did an excellent review of your fitting process and I enjoyed your writeup!

Great write-up! I'll be in Anaheim a year from now for my friend's wedding and I'm seriously debating taking a day to do something like this. Cleveland's really bringing it with their clubs this year and getting fit is very important. I just may find myself there next year!

Im pretty intrigued by this fitting center, the more I ponder about the Morgan cup. Fitting will be really important to me this year and with this fitting studio and Callaway performance centers, I'm torn on ways to lean.

man I want to go there now!
Anybody want to donate a round trip plane ticket from NC?

I wanted to do this badly last year.

I looked into this a few days ago as well. Unlikely that a trip to CA is in my future unfortunately.

It would be awesome to see the coverage from a full bag fitting for the MC, someone bite the bullet!!!

Back