2012 THP Golf Outing & Demo Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a lot more putting for 2 rather than going after the hole eh? I love and hate that haha!

Wow GG with monster drives!! Out of curiosity, what's the distance from the tees you play on that course? (maybe I'll start working on the wife for Outing 2013 now haha!)

I don't really hit it 240 that was an exaggeration. I hit my drives about 175-200 yards. I am incredibly inconsistent. But with the roll on the new course I can get an extra 15-20 yards at times.

For the ladies it plays to about 5300 yards. Here are the score cards http://www.grandcypress.com/i/downloads/golfFactspdf.pdf. The guys played from the blue tees today and the ladies from the red.

I don't really hit it 240 that was an exaggeration. I hit my drives about 175-200 yards. I am incredibly inconsistent. But with the roll on the new course I can get an extra 15-20 yards at times.

For the ladies it plays to about 5300 yards. Here are the score cards http://www.grandcypress.com/i/downloads/golfFactspdf.pdf. The guys played from the blue tees today and the ladies from the red.
That's very good yardages GG. The average male hits his drives around 200 yards.

Canadan,
The yardages on the score card dont tell the whole story unfortunately. The course has sneaky distance based on bunkers and other strategically placed things throughout the holes. Plus there are a couple of really short holes such as 1 and 2 on the North course and then there are some holes that play 30 yards longer.

Course management is so important here and it can make or break a round. Driving is key, laying up when you should is key even if the distance does not dictate that.

Canadan,
The yardages on the score card dont tell the whole story unfortunately. The course has sneaky distance based on bunkers and other strategically placed things throughout the holes. Plus there are a couple of really short holes such as 1 and 2 on the North course and then there are some holes that play 30 yards longer.

Course management is so important here and it can make or break a round. Driving is key, laying up when you should is key even if the distance does not dictate that.

I suspected as much. I was just thinking about how my course has two 450+ par 4s yet only plays to 6550 yards from the tournament tees.. That said, there are a handful of holes that are easy to take 200-220 to a certain point for a relatively easy 100-150 approach.

I'm excited to see it. The only things that annoy me about courses are doglegs that force you to lay-up and blind shots.

That's very good yardages GG. The average male hits his drives around 200 yards.

That is surprising to me Sean. I would have thought it closer to 225-250.

Canadan,

So you and GG are going to be providing yardage books and caddy-like advice before our rounds correct? I'm gonna need all the help I can get :D:

So you and GG are going to be providing yardage books and caddy-like advice before our rounds correct? I'm gonna need all the help I can get :D:

They have incredible GPS units in each cart. Provides fly overs before the hole and yardage to every hazard.

They have incredible GPS units in each cart. Provides fly overs before the hole and yardage to every hazard.

That is incredible. I have played many courses with GPS in the cart but the flyover is awesome!

Tap tap taparoo

Took a look at the 2010 and 2011 outing threads and pics today with my girlfriend. They look absolutely amazing! Seems to be a great time all around. We discussed going, but this year is completely out of the question since we are starting new jobs and have a wedding the same weekend. We are considering going the next year though, providing there is another outing. I really want to go and meet all of the amazing folks I have had contact with on here so far.

We figure it will be about $3000 for us to go, but looks like it will be well worth the money! Maybe you could consider going north of the boarder for 2013 lol.

hmm driving is a key and course management....uh oh for mikedean441 lol

I'm gonna get in on this outing next year, I've wanted to play those courses for a while and the outing seems like a great time to do it with some great people.

I'm gonna get in on this outing next year, I've wanted to play those courses for a while and the outing seems like a great time to do it with some great people.

awesome, assuming ur signed up already, looking forward to meeting you

Took a look at the 2010 and 2011 outing threads and pics today with my girlfriend. They look absolutely amazing! Seems to be a great time all around. We discussed going, but this year is completely out of the question since we are starting new jobs and have a wedding the same weekend. We are considering going the next year though, providing there is another outing. I really want to go and meet all of the amazing folks I have had contact with on here so far.

We figure it will be about $3000 for us to go, but looks like it will be well worth the money! Maybe you could consider going north of the boarder for 2013 lol.

We will have another one...Each year of course.
And it will cost you far less than that when all is said and done.

You won't regret it man, I went to the 2011 outing and won't be missing another, baring something bad happening, and it will be considerably less than $3000

Saving my pennies now for the 2012 outing....so far I got 74 cents and some lint :D

JB or GG, is 2012 filled up? Thank you.

not speaking on thier behalf, btu I do know JB said a few days back the last 2 spots were filled up

No MD, according to Frank Thomas, former research director of the USGA, it's still around 200.

Those tests have been disputed for years based on how they are conducted. And yes the average is somewhere around there. However that average is not the average for avid golfers. The sampling includes every male they encountered on the local courses sampling was done. Once again, this is something where geography and course would play a major role in this.

JB or GG, is 2012 filled up? Thank you.

At this time yes it is.

sounds like that if you're not familiar with the term 'playing to a number' you will be after playing a round or two on this course.....

Canadan,

We will have another one...Each year of course.
And it will cost you far less than that when all is said and done.

You won't regret it man, I went to the 2011 outing and won't be missing another, baring something bad happening, and it will be considerably less than $3000

It all depends on where we are living. It would be at least $3000 from the community we are going to. It is an isolated community in Northern Manitoba where a 1 hour flight, return to Winnipeg is $600 each! If we are elsewhere it will definitely be considerably lower. I am planning on starting a savings fund this fall in anticipation for 2013!

New course was playing hard today. We, unfortunately, got stuck behind a 64 man shotgun and everyone was a true hacker out there so it was SLOW! We still had a great time, but the course seemed harder than usual. I personally played so bad that I tried to quit 3 times but JB, Gray and Kelly wouldn't let me. The only good thing that happened for me today was my graduation to a 'big girl' shaft. Looks like I have outgrown a ladies driver shaft. I will be experimenting with senior and regular shafts in the coming weeks.

New course was playing hard today. We, unfortunately, got stuck behind a 64 man shotgun and everyone was a true hacker out there so it was SLOW! We still had a great time, but the course seemed harder than usual. I personally played so bad that I tried to quit 3 times but JB, Gray and Kelly wouldn't let me. The only good thing that happened for me today was my graduation to a 'big girl' shaft. Looks like I have outgrown a ladies driver shaft. I will be experimenting with senior and regular shafts in the coming weeks.

Congrats on both fronts GG, first for not quitting and second for moving up to the 'big girl' shaft!!

Congrats on both fronts GG, first for not quitting and second for moving up to the 'big girl' shaft!!

Honestly, I should have quit and I wish I did. It was embarrassing out there. I need to go back for another lesson ASAP. My game is so bad it makes me never want to pick up a club again, but I just keep telling myself it is going to get worse before it gets better. And I did have some really good shots yesterday so I have to hold onto that.

And I did have some really good shots yesterday so I have to hold onto that.

Ill say. Parring 3 out of 4 holes and winning the match for us is pretty good.
It was rough out there today. Slow as all heck and none of us played well. You will get it back and be in great form for the 2012 outing.

Honestly, I should have quit and I wish I did. It was embarrassing out there. I need to go back for another lesson ASAP. My game is so bad it makes me never want to pick up a club again, but I just keep telling myself it is going to get worse before it gets better. And I did have some really good shots yesterday so I have to hold onto that.

Ill say. Parring 3 out of 4 holes and winning the match for us is pretty good.
It was rough out there today. Slow as all heck and none of us played well. You will get it back and be in great form for the 2012 outing.

It sounds to me like your back was just very sore from carrying the team yesterday. You can't be expected to do it all. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back