Your take on cargo shorts

I like the cargos for all the pockets but forget to empty them...

Dude, you gave this legs this morning...hehehe do me favor a read a another thread at work...:bulgy-eyes:

Wow, I sleep for 6 hours and 4 more pages of this silly conversation!

So you wouldn't join me at the muni I live at? Even if I bought the hotdog at the turn and the cold Coors at the end?

If a club has a rule and I am going to play there then I will abide by the rules. I may not think the rule makes any sense but I would abide by it, nothing wrong with that.

If a club has a rule and I am going to play there then I will abide by the rules. I may not think the rule makes any sense but I would abide by it, nothing wrong with that.

Agreed! I'm all about following the rules.

Agreed! I'm all about following the rules.

Indeed. And if the club doesn't care or have the rules, I don't care.

Some of the most knowledgeable golfer's with the best etiquette I have ever played with were in jeans or cargo's.

Would you play at my local club that did not allow cargo shorts? Im sure the answer is yes because they would be required by rule. Some people prefer to play at places that are stricter about the rules because they view golf as a lifestyle and not just some game. Its a personal preference and while not for everybody, condemning people for their choices is exactly what so many are against (on the flip side) in this thread.

I know you mentioned that you had never seen that previously, but our old club did not allow them. They also required shirts tucked in too.

There is not a right or wrong thing here, but just different view points.

Sure I would because it is a coarse rule and I would know that ahead of time. Perhaps I better call Grand Cyprus and check to avoid any embarrasement. Or at least any additional embarrasement.

So, what day are we playing?

The lifestyle vs recreation point is what I made at 4 this morning. We finally agree on something.
:egyptian:

As for the 5.5 hour round behind the mannequins (thanks someone for the spelling). I was showing that the whole discussion could be turned the other way. I didn't mean to condemn anybody for how they dress.

FIFY...would hate for you to show up at the wrong course, sportn' your cargos with a dry tech shirt..:act-up: I kid of course..

Sure I would because it is a coarse rule and I would know that ahead of time. Perhaps I better call Grand Cypress and check to avoid any embarrasement. Or at least any additional embarrasement.

So, what day are we playing?

The lifestyle vs recreation point is what I made at 4 this morning. We finally agree on something.
:egyptian:

As for the 5.5 hour round behind the mannequins (thanks someone for the spelling). I was showing that the whole discussion could be turned the other way. I didn't mean to condemn anybody for how they dress.

Not at the muni. I live in the a big city and played munis as a kid that had no dress policy. I have seen plenty of guys in wife beaters, driving their carts ON the greens, dodging golf balls from guys playing in the wrong fairway without waiting for us to clear, and drunk guys getting into shoving matches. No thanks! I will play a course that has some basic golf/etiquette rules!

Well, the invitation is open if you wish to join us civilized people in Colorado.

That was my point. The dress/play perception works both ways. To me golf is a recreational game, not a lifestyle. I think that is where the divide is on this topic.

I will be sporting cargos at the outing, but all my golf shirts are the performance fabric as I can't stand swinging with a heavy shirt on.

Same outfit that I wear all summer--in fact after returning to golf last year bought my 2nd pair of slacks(vs jeans) in about 30yrs 'cause can't quit playing when the weather goes south! In fact my shirt purchases in the last year would probably equal a couple truck payments

As I said before, I have no problem with someone wearing what they want to wear as it pertains to their local rules. Some view golf as more than just a game and view it as a lifestyle. Just as some dont want to wear cargo shorts and a t-shirt out to dinner. They are not better or worse, but different.

Last week I played behind a foursome dressed like manikans from the PGA Superstore. They proceeded to spend the next 5 1/2 hours looking for their ball in the rough and hacking it up. But damn, they looked pretty. Perhaps they should've taken the money spent on overpriced golf attire and spent it on lessons.

However your earlier quote rang loud to me for a couple of reasons. The same side that keeps "debating" that cargo shorts and jeans are acceptable (and they are in many areas), seem to have these thoughts about people dressing well. That dressing well means you must play well. The preconceived judgement that are being condemned here by those that do not care for "non-golf attire" on the course are then making another judgement preconceived about someone that prefers to dress the part. Its part of life and that part is understandable, but I strongly disagree with anybody that will argue that "I dont care how someone dresses" and then turn around and say "If you dress like that you better have some game", because its absolutely the same thing.

Now this is not directed at you or anybody else in this thread, but its been in here for pages and its wrong on all levels. It cant be fixed, it is what it is though. People judge people that are not like them, just as you did in your previous post (generally speaking, not you in particular) You see someone wearing a bright pink shirt or full Sligo gear and has a staff bag and then tops the first tee ball. Thoughts are there. Just as around here if someone shows up in jeans (very few places would allow that), the thoughts will be there as well.

The idea that someone is wearing "overpriced golf attire" is just as absurd to me as someone playing "overpriced golf equipment". Neither is right or wrong and the term "overpriced" is different for every individual, so it really has no bearing here. Cost is fine as long as someone is fine spending their own money on it.

Would you play at my local club that did not allow cargo shorts? Im sure the answer is yes because they would be required by rule. Some people prefer to play at places that are stricter about the rules because they view golf as a lifestyle and not just some game. Its a personal preference and while not for everybody, condemning people for their choices is exactly what so many are against (on the flip side) in this thread.

I know you mentioned that you had never seen that previously, but our old club did not allow them. They also required shirts tucked in too.

There is not a right or wrong thing here, but just different view points.

I definitely feel this way, but I respect that not all courses feel that way about their members or those who opt to play their course.

Okay, I need to ask something stupid :shock:

What makes shorts "cargo" shorts?? I have 2 pair of shorts I wear on the course all the time that have the "extra pocket" in the front, and you really can't tell that they do unless your really look. I bought them as golf shorts, they are both "plaid" not demin or burlap looking.......so does the extra pocket make them "cargo Shorts?

Cargo shorts + untucked shirt = fairway bunker.

IMAG0005.jpg

Okay, I need to ask something stupid :shock:

What makes shorts "cargo" shorts?? I have 2 pair of shorts I wear on the course all the time that have the "extra pocket" in the front, and you really can't tell that they do unless your really look. I bought them as golf shorts, they are both "plaid" not demin or burlap looking.......so does the extra pocket make them "cargo Shorts?

Hmm.. Made me think for sure... For the record, I probably wouldn't have an issue with these (although I doubt I'd wear them):

Nike-Cargo-Mens-Golf-Shorts-392532_081_A.png

These are more the ones I am referring to..

cargo-shorts.jpg

As I said before, I have no problem with someone wearing what they want to wear as it pertains to their local rules. Some view golf as more than just a game and view it as a lifestyle. Just as some dont want to wear cargo shorts and a t-shirt out to dinner. They are not better or worse, but different.

However your earlier quote rang loud to me for a couple of reasons. The same side that keeps "debating" that cargo shorts and jeans are acceptable (and they are in many areas), seem to have these thoughts about people dressing well. That dressing well means you must play well. The preconceived judgement that are being condemned here by those that do not care for "non-golf attire" on the course are then making another judgement preconceived about someone that prefers to dress the part. Its part of life and that part is understandable, but I strongly disagree with anybody that will argue that "I dont care how someone dresses" and then turn around and say "If you dress like that you better have some game", because its absolutely the same thing.

Now this is not directed at you or anybody else in this thread, but its been in here for pages and its wrong on all levels. It cant be fixed, it is what it is though. People judge people that are not like them, just as you did in your previous post (generally speaking, not you in particular) You see someone wearing a bright pink shirt or full Sligo gear and has a staff bag and then tops the first tee ball. Thoughts are there. Just as around here if someone shows up in jeans (very few places would allow that), the thoughts will be there as well.

The idea that someone is wearing "overpriced golf attire" is just as absurd to me as someone playing "overpriced golf equipment". Neither is right or wrong and the term "overpriced" is different for every individual, so it really has no bearing here. Cost is fine as long as someone is fine spending their own money on it.

Hmmmmmmmmm... Well said as well JB.

I don't like how hard they are to iron.

I don't like how hard they are to iron.

What Iron are you using? I find the 4i works the best to get the wrinkles out

And using the rakes as alignment aids is a no-no.

I had it resting on my back to check my spine angle. I guess thats a no-no also. Pretty sure I hit it thin and caught the lip also. Damn Golf Gods and their prejudice of cargo shorts.

Well, the invitation is open if you wish to join us civilized people in Colorado.

Thanks for the invite - but Colorado is a bit far for a round of golf! I surely don't mean to come off disrespectful or snobbish, because I am not. I'm fine with people wearing cargo shorts on the golf course. I don't care to see people wearing jeans, but during the winter time I understand it. And I don't care about someone's playing ability. I don't like playing with folks who don't respect or appreciate the game. Sometimes it's the guy who is dressed like the PGA player, but more often than not its the guy who plays golf once a year and is out there to make a mockery of the game.

I had it resting on my back to check my spine angle. I guess thats a no-no also. Pretty sure I hit it thin and caught the lip also. Damn Golf Gods and their prejudice of cargo shorts.

So true!

Dang if I couldn't wear cargo shorts or blue jeans, I'd be shat out of luck!

I do dress up a bit when going to the nicer courses :eek:)

Ole Gray, we can captain Team Cargo and humble Team THP at the outing.

Back