Morgan Cup 2.0 - Is Official

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. The Palmer had a great setup and was more fun. The course gave me more of a FL feel and some of the holes were very aesthetically pleasing. It wasn't just "let's throw some bunkers here and lets try and fit a hole there".

#15 on the Watson may be the worst golf hole I've ever seen/played.

I also thought that the Watson catered to the long knockers like belbs. He damn near drove 3 or 4 par 4's and what he did on #14 was just stupid. You should never be hitting driver/Gap wedge into a Par 5. I find holes like that to be very hokey. #4 was a tough golf hole for sure. I don't know, the Watson was more odd to me. The Palmer was wicked though. I could play that course over and over.

Like some of the other guys, I enjoyed the Palmer a bit more. Some fun risk/reward on that course. It played a little shorter than the yardage, and even I might have handled one tee back. The first several holes on the Watson were kind of parklandish, and imo were the best on that side. After those the holes did seem a bit the same, but the last two were good holes for match play I think. The conditions were good. I suggest a couple benches on the range. I don't mind taking a seat for a couple minutes when I take a break. Overall the resort was a good venue. I liked my suite, even with a half an inch of water in the hallway in front of the elevator for most of my stay.

I don't think holding 2.0 at Reunion again would minimize the event, that's for sure, but another venue would also be cool.

Kevin

I would also like to see some sort of shaded area during the range day/promo day. There needs to be some sort of relief from the heat.

I've been thinking about this all day. I was hitting wedge shots just thinking how they would put daggers into my competitors!

You're a funny little dude.

I would also like to see some sort of shaded area during the range day/promo day. There needs to be some sort of relief from the heat.

Yeah, this needs to happen as well, if the event is during the summertime in Florida.

To echo what the other guys said, the Palmer course was a better match play course because there was more risk/reward. The only big problems on the Watson course were the bunkers, and if you were a longer hitter, you could just fly it over all of the trouble off of the tee. We played from some shorter tees on Sunday, and I'm not a really long hitter, but even I was able to clear all of the bunkers off of the tee on some holes.

My only hunch is where ever, how ever, when ever and what ever, this will be another grand event! I can't wait to hear more about it!
No doubt about it.

#15 on the Watson may be the worst golf hole I've ever seen/played.

I also thought that the Watson catered to the long knockers like belbs. He damn near drove 3 or 4 par 4's and what he did on #14 was just stupid. You should never be hitting driver/Gap wedge into a Par 5. I find holes like that to be very hokey. #4 was a tough golf hole for sure. I don't know, the Watson was more odd to me. The Palmer was wicked though. I could play that course over and over.

#15 certainly sticks out. Short par 3 that is way uphill. I think Tom got shafted with land selection.

#15 certainly sticks out. Short par 3 that is way uphill. I think Tom got shafted with land selection.

Such a terrible golf hole. And it's always in the sun, so you can't see a damn thing. I thought 16, 17, and 18 were awesome finishing holes though. That course had it's ups and downs for sure.

I heard they ro sham bo'ed for the land and Nicklaus went first. He was mad at Watson that day for over cooking his eggs.

Such a terrible golf hole. And it's always in the sun, so you can't see a damn thing. I thought 16, 17, and 18 were awesome finishing holes though. That course had it's ups and downs for sure.

16 was a good hole, you're right. Three good finishers. Forgot about 15. Not a great par 3. Belbs owned 14, lol.

Kevin

16 was a good hole, you're right. Three good finishers. Forgot about 15. Not a great par 3. Belbs owned 14, lol.

Kevin

Yeah, 14 was a joke for that guy. I think I hit driver/7iron into it. He hit driver and had 108 yards left or something stupid. What a dumb Par 5.

If I have the holes right, I enjoyed 16 on the Palmer for a par 3, what the Watson 15th hoped to be, and 17 was a fun par 4 with bunkers and the option to hit it at the green. The par 5 over the swamp at the Palmer was good, too.

Kevin

I mainly agree with everything you guys have said concerning Reunion. I loved the Palmer course and liked it more than the Watson (which wasn't bad itself). I'll admit it wasn't the best for match play necessarily, but compared to all the other Florida courses I've played, I liked that the Watson wasn't non-stop water carries. Without seeing the Nicklaus course, I would gladly go back to Reunion and play any of those courses again. I'm not a long hitter, so I thought the distances were fun, and it's hard to balance the distance so that it's long enough for Belbs (if such a place exists) but short enough for those of us who can only poke driver 240.

Guys, lets keep this thread about the Morgan Cup. And while it was played at Reunion and its fine to discuss the future there, we have numerous threads on the courses if each hole would like to be discussed.

Here's a question that I'll throw out there to everyone: would you like to see it stay at teams of 8, or would you like to see the event expand to 12-person teams like in events such as the Ryder Cup and Solheim Cup.

One part of me feels like it would be great to involve more people in this event from the playing aspect of things, and having 12 singles matches going on Sunday of the tournament would be awesome. However, I also liked having 16 guys in the first event, because I really feel like I got to know all of them and it was a nice size for the first event. I haven't been on THP as long as some others, but it seems like every event that THP puts on is bigger and better than the last one, so expanding the teams for Morgan Cup 2.0 fits with that theme. I just wanted to see what others thought.

Mc 2.0 will be exciting for sure. I'll be trying to get in if I can make it work. That and i have to defend my undefeated record ;)

Can't wait to hear the rest if the details.

Tap, tap, tap. Just tap it in Happy

Hairy, I agree with you, I'd love to see it bigger and include a larger amount of participants. I assume a lot of that hinges on the sponsors though. It's going to be fun finding out more information from the powers that be, that's for sure.

Here's a question that I'll throw out there to everyone: would you like to see it stay at teams of 8, or would you like to see the event expand to 12-person teams like in events such as the Ryder Cup and Solheim Cup.

One part of me feels like it would be great to involve more people in this event from the playing aspect of things, and having 12 singles matches going on Sunday of the tournament would be awesome. However, I also liked having 16 guys in the first event, because I really feel like I got to know all of them and it was a nice size for the first event. I haven't been on THP as long as some others, but it seems like every event that THP puts on is bigger and better than the last one, so expanding the teams for Morgan Cup 2.0 fits with that theme. I just wanted to see what others thought.

The more participants, the better chance I have! :D

In all seriousness, from a competition perspective I think you can get just as much out of 8 person teams compared to 12 person teams. I would like seeing more sponsors involved and I think it would be cool to have all players on one team playing the same OEM. It was very tough trying to support a team and keeping track of whom was playing what. 4 OEM teams of 6 would be cool IMO.

Obviously, this is ALL dependent on what THP deems best for the intent of the event and what OEM's want to be involved and to what extent. Will be interesting for sure!!!

Just excited to be part of a community where an event like this is even possible....simply unreal!

Tappin' from my iPad!

cookie, you have to think about it from the perspective of the sponsoring company. Let's say that in the MC 1.0 it was Callaway vs. Taylormade. One of those companies would lose to the other and that's not good for one of them when it comes to marketing, especially coming at the hands of some average joe's. I don't think we'll see complete teams sponsored by one OEM for that reason.

Yeah I'd love to see more people in the MC. That would be great.

Tap, tap, tap. Just tap it in Happy

cookie, you have to think about it from the perspective of the sponsoring company. Let's say that in the MC 1.0 it was Callaway vs. Taylormade. One of those companies would lose to the other and that's not good for one of them when it comes to marketing, especially coming at the hands of some average joe's. I don't think we'll see complete teams sponsored by one OEM for that reason.

Makes sense....did not think of that.

Whatever happens, I want to see some alternate shot format. Pressure baby!! (more so than best ball IMO).

Tappin' from my iPad!

I think expanding the number of people on each team would be pretty cool or even adding another team or two all together. I don't know how the sponsors would feel about this, but I am expecting big things in the weeks to come. There is no telling what THP has up there sleeve right now. I just know that whoever is involved is in for an experience they will never forget.

Oh my gosh!! This is awesome, you guys seriously rock JB and GolferGal!

Whatever happens, I want to see some alternate shot format. Pressure baby!!

I agree, alternate shot really raises the level of excitement, that would be fun to watch.

I agree, alternate shot really raises the level of excitement, that would be fun to watch.

Forget watching, I want to be playing!! Ha

Tappin' from my iPad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back