Cleveland Black Driver Video Preview

Well tickle me excited. I know from conversations in the past that JB you weren't so sure if this driver would be a good fit for you. Now it looks like it is. It also helps that it's a bad looking mother effer! These need to hit shelves pronto!

I was very skeptical, for what reasons, I am unsure. But I liked it a lot. Now not sure if it will work for much faster swing speeds, but it did for mine today. Time will tell if it was a first excited thought, or the real deal.

Im sure this has been mentioned but is there a release date yet? It may not be the right driver for me but I sure want to touch one and take the awesome headcover off once.

November 15th.

Love the looks of that driver. I also like the headcover tab. My Ping headcover is a bear to get on and off. I'm glad Cleveland is not jumping on the White Whale bandwagon.

I'm not an expert here but is there a point of diminishing returns in lightness of the head? I remember from physics that Force = mass x acceleration. So if you decrease mass to a point and acceleration has a limit, are you not eventually decreasing force?

can you expand on that idea?

I had a bad swing path. That is what created a big push. The idea of a club I am not used to the weight of in my hands exaggerated that in my opinion. I dont believe the weight of the club in itself created the swing flaw, nor do I believe a heavier club would have corrected it.

Great to hear JB. Might of missed but what specs did you hit

tapatalk addict....

Great write up JB, this driver has had my interest since I saw the first pics and your review just made me want it even more! I cant wait to try this driver out and will def be heading to a store in November with my 910 in hand to compare it against it. I love the look of it just as much as my 910 and it sounds like its a monster off the tee

Im really looking forward to your thoughts on it come Wednesday.

Interested to see how the light weight works out, having been working on slowing my swing speed for a more controlled swing to keep from a vicious slice, it should be an interesting test.

The headcover is awesome. THe sole of the club is what looks awesome. Like a ninja, lurking in the dark, with his light weight samurai sword!

The whole thing looks...well..awesome. I am really digging the entire Black lineup Cleveland is putting out there.

Interested to see how the light weight works out, having been working on slowing my swing speed for a more controlled swing to keep from a vicious slice, it should be an interesting test.

The whole thing looks...well..awesome. I am really digging the entire Black lineup Cleveland is putting out there.

I'd like to hear your thoughts after you hit this. Wondering how easy you'll have to swing. I've seen JBs action up close and personal and he generates some controlled power through the hitting zone. From your videos you look like you get after it pretty good.

Kongfrontation

I'd like to hear your thoughts after you hit this. Wondering how easy you'll have to swing. I've seen JBs action up close and personal and he generates some controlled power through the hitting zone. From your videos you look like you get after it pretty good.

Kongfrontation

Key word here for me is control. Thinking the lighter weight of the club may allow me to swing with a much more controlled motion. We will see if that holds true for me or not.

Great initial thoughts JB. Glad you enjoyed it. 11-12/14 FW is wonderful and that added distance is flat out impressive. Did you have issues with backspin? Or can you comment on the backspin this driver creates? I know you haven't had it on the LM yet, but I am very curious. Such a beautiful driver, and if it fits my swing and helps me reduce backspin, I would consider this for sure. I look forward to more info and LM numbers.

Great initial thoughts JB. Glad you enjoyed it. 11-12/14 FW is wonderful and that added distance is flat out impressive. Did you have issues with backspin? Or can you comment on the backspin this driver creates? I know you haven't had it on the LM yet, but I am very curious. Such a beautiful driver, and if it fits my swing and helps me reduce backspin, I would consider this for sure. I look forward to more info and LM numbers.

That was something I really thought would be an issue for me. Was a super high launch due to back spin. I did not really have that issue today. Time will tell if it stays that way.

That was something I really thought would be an issue for me. Was a super high launch due to back spin. I did not really have that issue today. Time will tell if it stays that way.

I can't remember what is the weight of your RazrHawk shaft? The Cleveland is considerably lighter, correct. In order to get similar results but added length the two set ups have to be similar but the weights swings weight at different. Confused?

Kongfrontation

Great first impressions JB, can't wait to see launch monitor numbers on it and to hear war.eagles thoughts on it...definitely got me intrigued to say the least.

I can't remember what is the weight of your RazrHawk shaft? The Cleveland is considerably lighter, correct. In order to get similar results but added length the two set ups have to be similar but the weights swings weight at different. Confused?

Kongfrontation

The shaft of my RH is 61 grams. The RH feels heavier when picking it up, but I believe the swing weights are similar. I have not checked to be honest. I know that the balance of the Black, once you get used to it is very much there.

Great review JB. I have this on my short list for a new driver. When you have an off center hit are you losing a lot of distance or is it directional? My driver has been a struggle all year and I'm looking for something a little more forgiving. I have my sights on this or the G20 but I'm hoping to get fitted by next season.

Tapaway!

Great review JB. I have this on my short list for a new driver. When you have an off center hit are you losing a lot of distance or is it directional? My driver has been a struggle all year and I'm looking for something a little more forgiving. I have my sights on this or the G20 but I'm hoping to get fitted by next season.

Tapaway!

It will take more time to get those details, because I did not have a lot of them today. Not a bad problem to have, but something we always test for.

That is another great looking club. Im on the hunt for a new driver this winter and this one will deff be making the list. I am gonna do the smart thing this time and get the one I hit the best and not the one that looks the best. I am a huge Cleveland fan and I am going to focus on there driver line.

It will take more time to get those details, because I did not have a lot of them today. Not a bad problem to have, but something we always test for.

Can't wait to hear what's to come. With the way you're hitting it I don't known if there will be much directional mishits. Looking forward to it.

Tapaway!

Great thoughts... I can't wait till you get it on the launch monitor. I am curious to know how the black compares to the XL 270 in feel, distance and swing speed. What do you think is the biggest leap forward for Cleveland with this driver compared to the other ultralights?

Key word here for me is control. Thinking the lighter weight of the club may allow me to swing with a much more controlled motion. We will see if that holds true for me or not.

It seems to work that way for me with my XL270, a smooth controlled swing produced some ridiculous (for me) drives this summer. I can imagine the new black driver will do the same, if not better. Plus it's drop-dead gorgeous, should be lots of folks wanting to give this one a go.

Great write up JB! I don't think I missed a chance all summer to go on about how I love the XL270, how it has produced some really long (for me) and accurate drives, yada yada yada. I wonder if folks here thought I was full of...something, it's nice to see your results with the black driver are similar, if not even better.

Maybe the looks of this driver will get more attention? I got lots of compliments this season on drives that I hit with the XL. Then, of course, would come the question "what driver is that?", and the minute I mentioned that it was an ultralight model, and not a "TP" model, I could almost see the interest fade from their faces.

I'm very interested to see how this compares with the XL270! I put mine up against everything else out there this summer, and it won hands down. Easily 10yds longer on average than the others I tried.

Great thoughts... I can't wait till you get it on the launch monitor. I am curious to know how the black compares to the XL 270 in feel, distance and swing speed. What do you think is the biggest leap forward for Cleveland with this driver compared to the other ultralights?

^^^^ Same with me! Maybe this is the one that can knock the 270 out of my bag.

It might be a bit early still, but can you comment on how the backspin relates to the SuperTri? The ST is obviously a very high spin driver, would you say that the Black spins more or less or about the same?

Also, is the Black physically longer than the Ultralites or is it the same length?

Back