Cobra ZL Encore Driver

In retrospect I think I'm catching myself being a bit biased on this one as its a Cobra. Not real sure I like seeing that, but even though I love the look of this I keep looking at it for faults. I've never been a big fan, so guess this is one I really need to try down the road.

Limited use of this one today but I do have a fee thoughts.

Looks wise this thing is stunning. I mean throw rocks at the other white club stunning. If looks put the ball down the middle of the fairway we would all be playing this one. Great job here cobra.

Performance wise I was off today to put it gently. However I hit several drivers today and I saw the cobra consistently being a little shorter. My initial thoughts attribute this to the motore shaft not fitting me at all. I've never hit a club with that shaft well. Ball flight was very high, high launch that kept rising before plummeting out of the sky.

One shot in particular that I nailed dead perfect really surprised me. Ball was much higher than I normally hit and was well shorter than I thought it would be, fairways were wet so no roll either. The face didn't have a "hot" feeling although the sound was rather pleasant, a weird combo to me.

With only a few shots with this one I can't make a judgement, however I am certain getting a shaft that fits me better would make a huge difference in getting the flight down to appropriate levels.

Looks wise this thing is stunning. I mean throw rocks at the other white club stunning. If looks put the ball down the middle of the fairway we would all be playing this one. Great job here cobra.

Performance wise I was off today to put it gently. However I hit several drivers today and I saw the cobra consistently being a little shorter. My initial thoughts attribute this to the motore shaft not fitting me at all. I've never hit a club with that shaft well. Ball flight was very high, high launch that kept rising before plummeting out of the sky.

One shot in particular that I nailed dead perfect really surprised me. Ball was much higher than I normally hit and was well shorter than I thought it would be, fairways were wet so no roll either. The face didn't have a "hot" feeling although the sound was rather pleasant, a weird combo to me.

With only a few shots with this one I can't make a judgement, however I am certain getting a shaft that fits me better would make a huge difference in getting the flight down to appropriate levels.

Nice info, SW. It is a stunning driver, love that all white look. The only thing that turns me off about this driver is the shaft, just not a fan. I know it's hard to tell, but do you think with a more appropriate shaft that you wouldnt have seen such a distance loss?

Nice info, SW. It is a stunning driver, love that all white look. The only thing that turns me off about this driver is the shaft, just not a fan. I know it's hard to tell, but do you think with a more appropriate shaft that you wouldnt have seen such a distance loss?

A hesitant yes.

Just from bringing the ball down I would gain quite a bit. Hit everything a tad higher than normal today, but the zl was obviously higher.

It just didn't have that pop at contact to me today.

--
tapatalk

Thanks for the update! Did anyone catch the length of the shaft on this one?

That was the problem for me with the first ZL driver that came out. Too much ballooning with the stock shaft and I think the head had the high spin characteristic too. With this said I would still like to give this a test drive with a different shaft maybe.... I bet to custom order a shaft would be an economic disaster for the pocketbook.

Thanks for the update! Did anyone catch the length of the shaft on this one?

Depending on loft, anywhere from 45.25 to 46

That was the problem for me with the first ZL driver that came out. Too much ballooning with the stock shaft and I think the head had the high spin characteristic too. With this said I would still like to give this a test drive with a different shaft maybe.... I bet to custom order a shaft would be an economic disaster for the pocketbook.

Not so, Cobra has some of the best shaft upgrade prices in the business (Cobra, Ping, Titleist and Cleveland (with the Kusala's) really kick it here). I will warn you though that if you order something fancy that they don't stock it can take forever to get it in with Cobra. Maybe they've gotten better at that since last year though.

First post updated. Range test today and GolferGal and myself decided to give you guys a look (listen) into the impact sound of the ZL Encore. Also added some range pictures from today.

First post updated. Range test today and GolferGal and myself decided to give you guys a look (listen) into the impact sound of the ZL Encore. Also added some range pictures from today.

Thanks for the added pics and video. It didn't sound loud at all to me. Much different from one's in years past IMO.
Those pictures look awesome. I can't wait to see this thing in person.

Wow it actually sounded persimmon wood like to me!

Thanks for the range pictures, that is one awesome looking driver.

I also appreciate the pictures. Like I said, it's nice to see the full on embrace of white. How's the stock grip? It's white isn't it? Is it holding up well?

Wow it actually sounded persimmon wood like to me!

That was my thought too OG.

I also appreciate the pictures. Like I said, it's nice to see the full on embrace of white. How's the stock grip? It's white isn't it? Is it holding up well?

Its pretty good actually. Hard to tell yet since it has only seen 2 range sessions and half of one round. Time will tell.

That was my thought too OG.

Its pretty good actually. Hard to tell yet since it has only seen 2 range sessions and half of one round. Time will tell.

What kind of grip is it?

I really like the sound from what I could tell over the video. It sounds a little higher pitched than the typical low thud of a Cobra driver.

See above.

Saw that. I ask because it was solid white wasn't it? I didn't think GP made a solid white New Decade, just white and black.

Saw that. I ask because it was solid white wasn't it? I didn't think GP made a solid white New Decade, just white and black.

It is solid white. All I have is the company info sayings what it is.

I like the sound of that. Not terribly loud (at least it doesn't appear to be) and sounds nice a crisp. I can't wait to give this a few swings.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Has a very nice, deep sound to it.

Good comparison on the Persimmon woods, OG.

Thanks for the additional pics and video. It looks really nice against the green grass too. Yup, that sounds like a Cobra driver.

Thanks for the additional pics and video. It looks really nice against the green grass too. Yup, that sounds like a Cobra driver.

I actually don't think it sounds anything like past Cobra drivers and I think that's why I actually like the sound of this one. I have always found Cobra drivers to be super tinny and this one is far more muted, IMO.

Back