Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
According Reuters, the US Open trophy has been impounded by the Chinese:

[h=1]McIlroy's management locked in U.S. Open trophy battle[/h]

By Bernie McGuire
HONG KONG | Fri Dec 2, 2011 11:30pm EST

(Reuters) - World number two Rory McIlroy's management team are locked in a battle with Chinese customs officials to release the U.S. Open trophy the Northern Irishman won earlier this year so it can be taken to the season-ending Dubai World Championship next week.

McIlroy had been intending to showcase the trophy that he won at the Congressional Country Club in Maryland in June during his final six tournaments of the year, starting at the Shanghai Masters in late October.
Chinese customs officials, however, impounded the trophy when no-one was at the course to receive it.

"The trophy was shipped out in its special protective box to Shanghai ...but there was no one present at the course to receive it so it was taken back to the shipping agents' depot," said Conor Ridge of Horizon Sports, who represent McIlroy.

"So I then got in contact with (sports management company) IMG in order we could at least have the trophy on hand for the following week's HSBC Champions event ...but I was informed that China customs said they were now not releasing the trophy, and they still won't give it to us."

Ridge said they had been forced to get the United States Golf Association, who administer the U.S. Open, involved in an effort to get the trophy released.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/03/us-golf-european-mcilroy-trophy-idUSTRE7B206R20111203

that sucks. bet they would never do that to the morgan cup! have about 100 angry THPers heading to china to steal it back!

Wow that sucks. I can't believe they did that.

That's a bummer. You'd think there would be some flexibility to their rules with this one.

Read this earlier, sad to see, but doubt it takes much longer.

Now the Chinese have gone t0o far. We should counter by closing all the Walmarts so the Chinese don't have an outlet for their crappy products. And boycott fried rice, dumplings, and egg rolls.

Kevin

wtf!!!

the mind boggles.....

I find it just as shocking that no one from Rory's camp was there to recieve the trophy when it arrived, to me that's just as mind boggleing. I like the close walmart idea though lol.

Last edited:
You'll no doubt be able to buy knock off versions on E-bay very soon!

I find it just as shocking that no one from Rory's camp was there to recieve the trophy when it arrived, to me that's just as mind boggleing. I like the close walmart idea though lol.

Considering they won't give it back, I'm not sure I believe there was a legitimate reason for impounding it in the first place.

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Couldn't they have "returned to sender?" haha

Wow that is pretty shady, I can't believe they would do that. They obviously know who it belongs to and it is very valuable so its not like they don't know who it should go to.

Back