Sony Open in Hawaii Thread (Spoilers)

GrantD

Formerly Known as DMB012
Reaction score
Handicap
It was really hard trying to pick my group for this week. A lot of players in this one and some names I don't really know about. I don't want to play the same people each week, but some are hot right now. So tough making decisions.

Sony Open in Hawaii Thread (Spoilers)

Mark+Wilson+Sony+Open+Hawaii+Final+Round+1LZsMzieYqOl.jpg

The first full-field event of the PGA Tour season starts in 2 days. The action stays in Hawaii, but moves from Maui to Oahu. In last year's tournament, Mark Wilson (pictured above) won his first of 2 tournaments of the year by beating Tim Clark and Steve Marino by 2 shots. He did it in a 36-hole Sunday finish as last year's tournament was plagued by rain delays, hopefully this year's event doesn't have those problems.

The course is he Waialae Country Club, which is par 70 (35 front 9, 35 back 9) with a total yardage of 7,068 yards. This course only has 2 par 5's on it, and is known for being a course where accuracy is more important than distance. It's a large contrast to the wide fairways that were present at Kapalua last week.

Here is the link to the full field for this tournament: http://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/r006/field.html

Yes, Steve Stricker is also playing this tournament, and has to be the favorite going in. With this being a full-field event, we should have much more variation in the players that everyone picks for fantasy golf.

TV Times are listed below, it's the traditional Thursday-Sunday schedule this week:
Thu, 1/12:
GOLF 7p - 10:30p ET
Fri, 1/13:
Sat, 1/14:
Sun, 1/15:
GOLF 7p - 10p ET

Now the real fun with a full field event I will really have to pay attention and make sure I am changing it up so i dont leave people in that miss the cut! Good Luck everyone!!

I've played Yahoo's fantasy golf in the past. IMHO, it only really makes sense to swap out players that miss the cut and can't get you points for the final 2 rounds. It doesn't make a lot of sense to swap a guy in for only 1 round and burn that start, unless you've got a guy that is in contention for the win, because there are bonus points for finishing in the top 3.

I've already got my squad for this week, I'll list them here:
Group A: Steve Stricker to start, K.J. Choi on the bench
Group B: Ryan Palmer and Mark Wilson to start, David Toms and Steve Marino on the bench
Group C: Jonathan Byrd to start, Brian Gay on the bench

Stricker or Wilson. Cheeseheads on parade in Haviya.

Kevin

No Kim, Fowler, or kuchar? Bummer

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

I'm excited for this. I'm feeling a ZJ win this week.

I've played Yahoo's fantasy golf in the past. IMHO, it only really makes sense to swap out players that miss the cut and can't get you points for the final 2 rounds. It doesn't make a lot of sense to swap a guy in for only 1 round and burn that start, unless you've got a guy that is in contention for the win, because there are bonus points for finishing in the top 3.

I've already got my squad for this week, I'll list them here:
Group A: Steve Stricker to start, K.J. Choi on the bench
Group B: Ryan Palmer and Mark Wilson to start, David Toms and Steve Marino on the bench
Group C: Jonathan Byrd to start, Brian Gay on the bench

Very similar players that I picked. Good luck!

Strick is just on such a roll right now. With a course that demands accuracy all around, he's gotta be my pick.

Picks submitted let's hope for a better week and climb the rankings for Group 2!

I'm going to have to do MUCH better than last week. That was a pretty pathetic first effort for me :/

Picks submitted let's hope for a better week and climb the rankings for Group 2!
My picks are made too. I can't do much worse than I did this past week.

My picks are made too. I can't do much worse than I did this past week.

Sure you could! Now me? No. I don't think I could do much worse if I tried lol.

This week should be fun. First time with a full field, and I suspect a lot of random picks will take the prize.

Between the west coast swing (before a lot of the big names get involved) and the late season push (where everyone has used their 10 starts for the bigger names), this should get interesting.

I've got some Euros that even I'm not sure about this week!

It seems that Yahoo doesn't know what a Scottish flag looks like, or refuses to acknowledge our existence. Suits us! :D

I'm looking forward to see a couple of the new UK guys on the tour this week, Gary Christian and Russell Knox. I'll be cheering for Knox!

Thanks for posting the TV times Amol. Wish they would give us an earlier start like they did for the TOC. Oh well, better than nothing.

Like others, have to go with Strick. But, if he struggles for some strange reason then Zach will be there to save the day.

I'm excited for this. I'm feeling a ZJ win this week.

I'm probably going to jinx him now but I've got the same feeling. He was firing on all cylinders at Chevron.

I follow him on Twitter. He's been relaxed and talking about his 'off season' work on a few things. Plus he wants badly to play for his buddy, DLIII's Ryder Cup team and knows he has to get of the gate fast to move up the points list, where right now he's sitting way down at #36. So, yea, ZJ's going on my team for this week. Poor guy...just put the hinky on him for sure.

I'm probably going to jinx him now but I've got the same feeling. He was firing on all cylinders at Chevron.

I follow him on Twitter. He's been relaxed and talking about his 'off season' work on a few things. Plus he wants badly to play for his buddy, DLIII's Ryder Cup team and knows he has to get of the gate fast to move up the points list, where right now he's sitting way down at #36. So, yea, ZJ's going on my team for this week. Poor guy...just put the hinky on him for sure.

With that said, maybe I should replace him on my bench with someone else. Mary just put a GG level jinks on him!! LOL

I got my Team picked and looking forward to another weekend of golf in beautiful Hawaii!

Then of course don't forget about the rookies that will surely make an impact.

Line up has been set! BDJ FTW!

My lineup is set. There's a few guys in this field that I've never heard of. I didn't expect that for some reason.

I'm definitely putting ZJ on my roster based on his Chevron performance, with Strick on the bench. I'm actually feeling a nice round by the rookie Cauley, too.

Back