Matt Every Interview on the Golf Channel

Mrs. SAM and I watched with our mouths hanging open. Kelly Tilghman decided she wanted to be Jim Gray (a horrid role model). I used to like her, but this low blow interview was totally unnecessary. Kelly, are you perfect? Ask the young guy to describe the zone he was in and stay there (with his golf) with your questions. I couldn't imagine her having the stones to ask Tiger or Phil about their past errors - why ambush this kid on the day he rose to the top.

I happen to agree that KT just ambushed the guy about something that happened quite some time ago. Yes, his answer was unbecoming of a professional, but the facts about that particular incident were that he was caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, and charges were eventually dropped. So he didn't do anything illegal (at least not when he was arrested), he was hanging with people who did. So bringing the skeleton out of the closet is really unnecessary IMO.

I watched this this morning. It was the first I had seen it. To be perfectly honest, I think he was genuine in his response. I would much prefer a guy be honest as opposed to half the canned crap we get from most of the guys in an interview.

I appreciate honesty as much as the next guy....but geez he acted like....I dunno...I got 3 months off....at least say "I made a mistake and it I paid the price"....something like that

I happen to agree that KT just ambushed the guy about something that happened quite some time ago. Yes, his answer was unbecoming of a professional, but the facts about that particular incident were that he was caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, and charges were eventually dropped. So he didn't do anything illegal (at least not when he was arrested), he was hanging with people who did. So bringing the skeleton out of the closet is really unnecessary IMO.

Even if he was just "hanging with the wrong crowd"....he should still own up to making a mistake and learning from it...then it's a non story....and maybe we get to hear about the coffee table he was putting with!

I appreciate honesty as much as the next guy....but geez he acted like....I dunno...I got 3 months off....at least say "I made a mistake and it I paid the price"....something like that

I agree Tim. But, how do you blindside a guy with a question like that? He clearly was uncomfortable. When you are caught SO off guard like that, anything can come out of your mouth.

Im with you on this one. There are enough cliches throughout sports that we have all heard, say one and move on.

Well, it's been 2 years, and he's served his time I reckon. And I kind of agree with him, he smoked a little pot, he wasn't drinking and driving like Dustin Johnson, or destroying his family like Tiger Woods.

I think first of all, we are assuming he was blindsided and we actually dont know that. I agree that it appears that way, and I dont like the idea of the questions, but what I cant put my finger on is how can Matt not know its coming. The ONLY reason anybody even knows the guys name is because of this issue. He had to know that if he ever performed on the golf course it could get asked. I dont care for how she did it in appearance, but sometimes with the media you are damned if you do and damned if you dont.

If you dont ask the hard question, you are considered throwing softballs (as in look at half KT's interviews with TW). If you do ask one, you are considered ambushing. Im not sticking up for her here, because I dont like how it was done overall, but its a tough spot to be in.

You get a guy leading a tournament that 99% of the golfing viewers have never heard of. Yet he has a redemption story so to speak coming back after this issue. You ask about the issue and it comes off the way it did. I can truly understand why it was asked.

Well, it's been 2 years, and he's served his time I reckon. And I kind of agree with him, he smoked a little pot, he wasn't drinking and driving like Dustin Johnson, or destroying his family like Tiger Woods.

Yes, time was served but he is leading the tourney and in the spotlight. It was bound to come up at some point.

A simple, it's water under the bridge, in the past, etc would have been sufficient. But the, I did nothing wrong, guys are doing worse, I have the same friends.

He was talking like a spaced out stoner....dude needs to get a clue.

Tappin' from CM's iPad!

I agree JB, I know why it was asked, and I think it's fair and valid. I just don't think his reaction was awful. As a parent and a human, drunk driver's are far scarier to me than a guy having a puff in a hotel room. That's all. Why is DJ not asked about his indiscretions in interviews? Is it b/c no one knows who Matt Every is? Does that help you see where I'm coming from?

pretty strange interview... looks like he was caught a little off guard but his answer was pretty dumb also... wonder if this will affect any of his sponsorships.

I think first of all, we are assuming he was blindsided and we actually dont know that. I agree that it appears that way, and I dont like the idea of the questions, but what I cant put my finger on is how can Matt not know its coming. The ONLY reason anybody even knows the guys name is because of this issue. He had to know that if he ever performed on the golf course it could get asked. I dont care for how she did it in appearance, but sometimes with the media you are damned if you do and damned if you dont.

If you dont ask the hard question, you are considered throwing softballs (as in look at half KT's interviews with TW). If you do ask one, you are considered ambushing. Im not sticking up for her here, because I dont like how it was done overall, but its a tough spot to be in.

You get a guy leading a tournament that 99% of the golfing viewers have never heard of. Yet he has a redemption story so to speak coming back after this issue. You ask about the issue and it comes off the way it did. I can truly understand why it was asked.

Oh, I agree with you JB, I understand WHY she asked it....but as someone who used to be in the media and has done an interview or 2 in my day....it was the WAY she asked it that I have a problem with.....she kind tried the misdirection approach..."the island reminds me of Lost your favorite TV show...but also describes how your last couple of years have been since the arrest 2 years ago for drug possesion" and I am paraphrasing here, but that's pretty close to how it went.

She could have asked the tough question..but been more direct about it and not come off like it was an ambush.... but he still should have had a "go to answer" for that question ready because as you said, he had to have known it was coming.

I agree JB, I know why it was asked, and I think it's fair and valid. I just don't think his reaction was awful. As a parent and a human, drunk driver's are far scarier to me than a guy having a puff in a hotel room. That's all. Why is DJ not asked about his indiscretions in interviews? Is it b/c no one knows who Matt Every is? Does that help you see where I'm coming from?

I think that is a fair question, however DJ was asked quite a bit after his DUI. And he always gave the cliche answer and it worked. Truthfully though, this will, like many issues, come down to what one's threshold is. If someone has no issues with the crime, they will most likely have no issues with him here. If someone's opinion is different than that, they might have issues with it. No different than TW here in that matter.

I am of the mindset that your a professional athlete and you are paid handsomely to play a game and follow a set of rules. One of those simple little rules is not to do drugs. You chose to violate that because you believe that it is more important than your career (generalization) and now you laugh it off? I think its disgusting personally, that your sponsor and the tour dont deserve a little more respect for making you a freaking millionaire.

I think its disgusting personally, that your sponsor and the tour dont deserve a little more respect for making you a freaking millionaire.

QFT!! This is what I am talking about....show some professionalism...that's all I ask.

The kid will shoot 76 today after that fiasco.

Calls from family, agent, sponsors, maybe the commissioner. Kid blows up today. Book it.

It honestly wouldn't suprise me if this happened.

You guys see that putter Every is using? Looks like a skateboard on a stick.

I still think Kelly was way off base. If she was doing an indepth personal interview and story on Every, well yea, ask him about it, ask him hard. But just getting a few lines from a guy that just came off the course from one of his best days - stay with the golf.

Did his awful interview carry on into the press trailer (or whatever)? Like he kept talking about still hanging out with the same guys and the event, largely unsolicited?

What about when he said "people out here (on tour) are doing a lot worst" or something to that effect. Is he trying to sell other golfers down the river?

Haven't seen this personally yet, but sounds like both parties were out of line. Sometimes the media goes out of bounds when they shouldn't.

Back