Bridgestone J40 Pay It Forward Review Thread

War Eagle is on the course now and according to a text I got, he is not going to want to send these on. I think he will be pondering the full set when he gets home today.

Looking forward to his full write up post round!

Tappin' from CM's iPad!

Cookie, you do know saying things like that basically makes me pee down one leg in excitement waiting on my set.... hahaha

Just got off the course and I am heading home.

Due to a frost delay I did not get any range time, but apparently I did not need it with the J40s. I will have a full write up when I get home, but I was blown away by these.

I'll leave it with this for now; I have a feeling it will be a sad day in my life when I box these up to send them to the next person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Due to a frost delay I did not get any range time, but apparently I did not need it with the J40s. I will have a full write up when I get home, but I was blown away by these.

I'll leave it with this for now; I have a feeling it will be a sad day in my life when I box these up to send them to the next person.

Now you know how I felt! We had a nice good bye though.!! They told me they would treat you good!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

First off, war eagle to War eagle! Next, I am jonesing for some J40 pocket cavities so bad. I love my MX200s but these 40s have to be my next set, even if its next year.

I updated every club in the bag last season but the irons and 3hybrid (including the bag (love the SM four 5)) and I know my wife won't be down with another $500+ purchase right now....with a 7month old in the house.

I am going to keep living vicariously through yall so please keep me drooling!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

It's gonna be amazing repping these for the MC! SOLID GEAR BY BRIDGESTONE GOLF!

WE I'm liking the clean crisp look too. Man no range session, but didn't need it. Can't wait to read your full write up. I'm interested in the flighted shafts as well as the graphite.

Now thats intriguing WE. Hurry home :D

It's gonna be amazing repping these for the MC! SOLID GEAR BY BRIDGESTONE GOLF!

WE I'm liking the clean crisp look too. Man no range session, but didn't need it. Can't wait to read your full write up. I'm interested in the flighted shafts as well as the graphite.

The second I hit the J38 at the first THP outing, I was sold on Bridgestone! the cavity back j38 actually turned me into a Bridgestone Golf fan!
Can't wait to read more on the J40's, but everything is pointing in the right direction.

1/15/11 Rosedale Golf Club; Sarasota, FL
Full round, testing the 3,6,9 Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Irons
Weather; 36* at first tee, warming up to 67*

Tee time this morning was supposed to be 7:07am, so I arrived at the course at 6:15am to get some range time in with the J40s as well as a few other new items in the bag. Well, there's a first time for everything, and I couldnt get to the range as there was a frost delay. I live in Sarasota, FL, a rocks throw from the beach, and I think this may be the first I have ever heard of a frost delay down here. So, took a seat in the clubhouse and waited. Finally at 7:20am, they told us we would be the first group off at 7:30am, meaning no range time, no time to warm up...great...

Hole #2, Par 4; I was driver/wedge in to the green on the first hole so the 2nd hole was my first time to ever put a swing on the J40s. Hit 3W off the tee and was left with 171 yards to the pin. No time like the present to start the testing, I grabbed the J40 6iron and absolutely hit it perfect. Ball flight was high, and dead straight at the flag. It hit the green, bounced forward and stopped, left it about 2 feet from the hole, and made the easy birdie putt. Snapped two pictures, as I was ecstatic with the shot, especially with it being my first ever swing with the J40 6iron.
Spoiler
Hole2.jpg

Hole2b.jpg

Hole #5, Par 4; After my tee shot, I am left with 182 yards to the flag. Wanted to put the J40 6iron to the test. I swung a bit harder to try to squeeze a bit more distance out of the 6iron, but pulled it slightly left of the green in to the greenside bunker. Slight wind behind me, gps’d the distance to 176 yards. I really liked the fact that I was able to get after it a bit with the J40, in past experiences with a forged iron similar to this, when I tried to swing a bit harder to squeeze out some distance, the results were a deep dig in to the turf from being too steep. Didnt feel that was the case here.

Hole #6, Par 5; Short par 5, and was left 221 yards to the pin after my tee shot. J40 3iron was put in to play here. I saw a nice straight flight, just above line drive height. It was a shot that I knew was going to give me some good roll out. I gps’d the distance at 209 yards, just off the front of the green. Was glad to see a well hit show with the 3iron, especially since I have struggled greatly with similar style long irons in the past.

Hole #7, Par 3; 141 yards. Hitting the J40 9i from the tee, put a nice smooth swing on it, not trying to kill the ball and it was a beauty of a shot, a very high ball flight, dead straight at the flag. Didnt seem to be any movement left or right on this one, just straight. It was a beauty of a shot. Checked the distance at 136 yards, sitting on the front of the green,

Hole #8, Par 5; After my tee shot, I was left with 227 yards to the pin. Hit the J40 3iron again, and saw similar results as I had before. A piercing flight, just above line drive, well hit. I left it just short of the green (about 10 yards), gps’d the distance to be 213 yards. Snapped a picture, although it’s tough to see the flag which is on the front edge of the green.
Spoiler
Hole8.jpg

Hole #9, Par 4; Hit 3W from the tee and was sitting 139 yards out from the green. Hit the J40 9iron, and hit it absolutely perfect. It landed on the green, bounced and stopped. Again, a towering shot with the 9iron that had a great trajectory down to the green and checked up perfectly. Snapped two pictures of the results;
Spoiler
Hole9.jpg

Hole9b.jpg

Hole #11, Par 4; 138 yards to the pin, again with the 9iron. Nice easy swing here, landed on the front edge of the green and rolled on. Gps’d the distance at 131 yards. Really liked the fact that with this shot, I just took a smooth swing, not trying to kill the ball, just a smooth swing to let the club to the work and the results were great! Picture of the shot;
Spoiler
Hole11.jpg

Hole #12, Par 5; My tee shot left me in the trees to the right of the fairway. Did not have a shot at the green and had to keep it low. Grabbed the J40 6iron, ball slightly in front of my stance and pressed the club forward for a low punch. Hit it great, kept it low line drive under the tree limbs, and rolled right down the center of the fairway about 150 yards. Left me with an easy 3rd shot with my 60*.

Hole #14, Par 4; This is a short 304 yard dogleg left. I usually just hit a mid iron here and give myself about 140-150 in to the green. I had confidence in the J40 3iron, so thats where I went. First time tee’ing the 3iron up, and I caught it slightly thin, but the results were still quite good. It was a low line drive shot, dead straight, with a distance measured to 202 yards. Not the best shot, but had 102 yards in to the green with my 55* wedge. Hit the wedge dead on, and was left for a tap in for birdie. Loved the way I was able to play this hole; 3iron, 55* wedge, putter. Picture of the wedge shot results;
Spoiler
Hole14.jpg

Hole #15, Par 4; Hit my 3W from the tee and didnt get near the distance I wanted, and was left with 203 to the pin. Went 3iron again, and hit another piercing mid-line drive with a tight fade. This landed on the green, but was absolutely moving, and rolled off the back of the green. If I would have had a bit higher ball flight on this one, it would have had a change to hit the green and stay on.

Hole #16, Par 4; 144 yards to the pin, went with the J40 9iron. This was my first real “miss” with the J40s. I hit this one a bit fat, but still saw decent results. Even with the fat shot, there was a nice high ball flight and decent enough distance (measured to 121 yards).

Hole #17, Par 3; This is a longer Par 3, 187 yards. There was a good wind at my back, and I decided to go with the J40 6iron. I put a good strong swing on it, and got some great distance out of it. I pulled it just left of the green in to the greenside bunker, and measured it to 171 yards (wind was at my back). When I got to my ball, I was actually not to disappointed with my shot, here’s the results.
Spoiler
Hole17.jpg

Hole #18, Par 5; After my tee shot, I was left with 259 to the green. I decided to play it safe, as I wanted to prevent a big number. Played the J40 6iron, and decided to lay up. Put a nice solid swing on the 6iron, again with a high ball flight and some good distance, was able to get some good roll out and with the roll it measured to a total distance of 184 yards, leaving me an easy 60* wedge in to the green.

Today was one of the best played rounds I have had in a while. I focused today on keeping myself in the fairway off the tee, and used my 3 wood quite a bit more to prevent myself from having to hit from the rough all day. Funny thing I noticed when I was hitting from the fairway more; I was hitting more greens. I went 36/42, 78 today. One of the best played rounds I have had in a while. I had two bogeys and two birdies on the front, and 4 bogeys and a double on the back. I was keeping myself in the fairways, and because of that was hitting more greens. The J40s flat out preformed for me today. I was hitting some nice high shots that were dead straight, every once in a while I would see a tight fade. 29 putts was helpful during the round as well. Anyway, enough about the round, here’s my thoughts on the J40’s!

1/15/11 Rosedale Golf Club; Sarasota, FL
Full round, testing the 3,6,9 Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Irons
Weather; 36* at first tee, warming up to 67*

My thoughts;

Short (9) Iron- With other sets of similar irons, I have found success with the short irons, and that trend definitely continued with the J40s. The J40s can throw out some nice divots, I found that the reaction of the J40s with the turf were nice. Leading edge of the short irons really cut through the ground effortlessly, without getting too steep or “digging” in. The results were there for me today with the short iron. A nice high ball flight, dead straight. I felt that with the short iron I could add a bit more to my swing to squeeze out a bit more distance, but at the same time was comfortable with hitting an “easy” shot with the 9iron. Found the J40 9iron to be very accuracte, and had some amazing shots with it today. I did have a significant miss hit with the 9 today, and it was quite fat. However, even with hitting it fat, it was still on line where I was aiming, and only about 20 yards shorter than normal. That kind of forgiveness is a nice thing to have.

Mid (6) Iron-
I became quite fond of the 6 iron on the second hole, when my first ever swing with the J40 left me with a tap in birdie. I used the 6 iron a good bit today, and for many different shots. Whether it was from the fairway hitting in to the green, laying up on a Par 5, or having to hit a punch shot from the rough under the trees, the J40 did what I needed it to. The shot I was most impressed with was my punch shot from the trees. The J40 cut through the rough effortlessly, and put a good club face on the ball and got me out of trouble and down the fairway.

Long (3) Iron-
When playing the V2s (a similar forged GE iron), this is where my struggles really showed. When I first saw this long iron of the J40, the cavity back just looked like it was going to offer me some forgiveness. I use the 3iron a number of times today rather than hitting my hybrid, and used it off the tee some as well. From the fairway it was a workhorse. Not a high ball flight by any means, but just above line drive with a piercing flight that when you see it, you know it could roll for a mile, and that’s exactly what it did from me. Hitting it off the tee led to success as well. Although I caught it a bit thin, my shot was on target, and measure out just short of what I had been hitting it previously (202 yards, thinned tee shot).

Shaft; Project X 6, Flighted;
I have not in the past gamed a set of shafts that were flighted, so today was a new experience for me. The shafts in the J40s worked well for me. I really liked what I saw out of them, offering me a high ball flight with the mid and short irons and a nice, just above line drive flight on the long irons. These shafts are quite stout, and felt that with them in the J40s, I was able to add a bit to my swing and get after it.
Misses; Besides one fat shot and one thin shot, my miss with the J40s was a slight miss to the left. This miss seemed to show up when I swung a bit harder. I contribute that to my swing and trying to swing faster, not the J40 irons. Even though it was slight miss left, the results were still decent. I think this is something that can be easily corrected with some range time and as I get more adjusted to the J40s.

Forgiveness;
Forgiveness is a word that gets thrown around in golf, and everyone has their idea of what it is. For me, it relates to my misses. When I have a miss hit or a poor swing, can I still “get away” with the shot. When I first looked at the J40s, the cavity seemed like it would provide a good feel with some forgiveness packed in there. From my experience with them today, I would say they offered just that. I was able to get away with misses that were out on the toe, as well as fat or thin shots. The misses werent perfect shots, but they were still on line with where I was aimed, but just came up short of the distance I was looking for.

Feel;
The J40s have a great feel in hand, and when swing have a nice balance to them. When hitting a forged iron such as these, when you hit a good shot, you instantly know it by the smooth feel of the club coming in contact with the ball then the ground. Great feeling. On the other side of things, the feel of misses with forged irons can, in my experiences, be quite harsh. With the V2s, a thinned shot will sting the hands, and when I hit a similar thin shot today, it was near as bad (perhaps that's the cavity back coming in to play?)

Turf Interaction;
The J40s can throw out some good sized divots. I found that the leading edge of the J40s cut through the turf with relative ease, and minimal resistance. With forged Irons, I have had problems with getting to steep with my swing and really digging in to the ground. I didn't have that problem with the J40s today, whether it was from fairway lie, or from the rough, was able to swing through without noticing resistance from the turf.

Distance;
The J40s were slightly longer than the FG Tour V2s that I had in the bag as well today. With the V2s, my 9iron distance was in the 130-135 yard range, but with the J40s I was hitting it between 135-145 yards. This held true for the 6 iron as well, slightly longer than my V2s. While the distances are tough to compare to my Burner 2.0s, I would say that when comparing loft to loft the distances were similar. The J40 6iron is 30*, and the Burner 2.0 7iron is 31*. The distances I used the 6iron J40 for today, are usually shots I would use my 2.0 7iron for, so the distance loft/loft in quite comparable, even with having a higher ball flight out of the J40s than the 2.0s. In terms of distance, one aspect of the J40s I was extremely impressed by was that I felt that I could swing harder to gain some distance, without losing control of my shot.

Overall;
Well, I was impressed with what I saw in the J40s today. Could it be that love at first swing / honeymoon phase? Sure, it could be. But, I dont get the feeling it is. Like I said yesterday, the J40s arent flashy and fancy in the looks department. They have a strong, clean look that give the appearance that they are ready to get to work on the course. I liked that I hit the J40s well from my first swing to my last with them during my round. More than anything, I loved the fact that I had confidence in the 3iron whether it was from the tee or from the fairway. It just worked. When playing similar iron sets, I really struggled with the long irons and at times with the mid irons, the J40s I was seeing success from top to bottom. I found myself playing to distances that would allow me to hit a 3,6, or 9iron, just so I could play these more. After playing a similar set the past 7 or so months, I had my worries about playing this style of irons in the future. The J40s calmed those worries, and left no doubt that I, an 11ish Handicap, can have great success with this style of iron. A few more rounds and some dedicated range sessions should tell me more...

Last edited:
Great stuff WE! Now imagine if they were fitted to you! haha

Major thank you for the detailed write up, its just upped my anticipation that much more.

What did you think of the feel of the PX's?

Wow we. Way to bring it!! Put my reviews to shame lol.

Terrific write up as always WE! Congrats on the 78.

These irons just sound incredibly solid from the strong reviews I have seen in this thread. Keep up the great work guys!

Great stuff WE! Now imagine if they were fitted to you! haha

Major thank you for the detailed write up, its just upped my anticipation that much more.

What did you think of the feel of the PX's?
I really liked them. I really need to learn more about shafts in general though. Having never played a set of flighted irons before, I wasnt sure what to expect, but was seeing a nice high ball flight out of the mid/short irons, higher than what I see out of my V2s with the KBS Tour 90 shafts. I figured that the 3iron would be a similar in the line drive flight that the V2 3/4irons gave me, but it was a bit higher there as well.

Wow we. Way to bring it!! Put my reviews to shame lol.

Thanks Matty. Had fun playing the J40s today, tried to get everything I could down in the review.

I really liked them. I really need to learn more about shafts in general though. Having never played a set of flighted irons before, I wasnt sure what to expect, but was seeing a nice high ball flight out of the mid/short irons, higher than what I see out of my V2s with the KBS Tour 90 shafts. I figured that the 3iron would be a similar in the line drive flight that the V2 3/4irons gave me, but it was a bit higher there as well.

Thanks Matty. Had fun playing the J40s today, tried to get everything I could down in the review.

You can send them back now! Everyone reading this GO HIT THESE!!

Terrific write up as always WE! Congrats on the 78.
Howzat, during & after my round today, I thought back to a lot of what we saw in the V2 testing. The J40s seemed to improve upon the V2s, which is saying a lot, as I am quite fond of my V2s. I was pleased that I was able to hit the long iron well. Are you gaming the J40s in the MC 2.0? If so, I know you will be VERY pleased with them, and think you will like them a bit more than the V2s, the added forgiveness was nice to have.

Last edited:

Thanks WE.

Hmmmmm, really makes me think about just going straight to the C-Taper's when I get mine.

Great write-up, War Eagle. Lots of great pics as well.

great write up. looks like these irons work well for you as well.

What a great write up WE. And correct me if i'm wrong - these testers are "off-the-rack," nothing fitted?

Howzat, during & after my round today, I thought back to a lot of what we saw in the V2 testing. The J40s seemed to improve upon the V2s, which is saying a lot, as I am quite fond of my V2s. I was pleased that I was able to hit the long iron well. Are you gaming the V2s in the MC 2.0? If so, I know you will be VERY pleased with them, and think you will like them a bit more than the V2s, the added forgiveness was nice to have.

I think you mean am I planning on playing the J40 DPC's for the MC 2.0 and the answer is yes. I am thrilled you think these are an improvement on the V2's as we both like them a lot, especially the short irons.

Thanks WE.

Hmmmmm, really makes me think about just going straight to the C-Taper's when I get mine.

This is my thought exactly. I think these will be a great fit with the C-Tapers and I hope this is an option for me.

This is my thought exactly. I think these will be a great fit with the C-Tapers and I hope this is an option for me.

When I had Dennis @ Blind9 order mine I asked him to find out if they could do C-Tapers and he said B'Stone directly did not. Maybe that will be different for you big time staffers! haha

What a great write up WE. And correct me if i'm wrong - these testers are "off-the-rack," nothing fitted?
Yes, these are stock.

I think you mean am I planning on playing the J40 DPC's for the MC 2.0 and the answer is yes. I am thrilled you think these are an improvement on the V2's as we both like them a lot, especially the short irons.

Yep, typos, meant to say the J40s. Going to spend some more time with them this week and see if the initial thoughts hold true as far as being an improvement. I fell that they will, I just feel the cavity on the DPC's add a bit of forgiveness that the V2s did not have.

Very good writeup WE. I love the sound of that 6i. I use mine all the time right now, and if I could get one like that, watch out! Glad you found success your first time with them dude! Keep it up!

Back