Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

Right on. I like to hear that.

Sent via Tapatalk

Just have to get the slice under control and this will be a beast for me. Just the added forgiveness over the R11 is worth it for me.

I also forgot to say: I love the sound of this driver. The sound is substantial without being deafening, full without sounding too muted. It's just right for me - my R11 was a loud driver, and this sounds just so satisfying. Especially when you hit in on the gold sweetspot.

Got to hit this yesterday at GS, tried the 10.5 in stiff and regular. Almost every hit felt solid and with the regular shaft my best was 277. Probably averaged 240 but it really felt good. My swing speed was all over from 89 to 98 so I say a 94mph average. Weird because it was averaging 98 about a year ago. Either way the Classic felt the best to me of the drivers I hit yesterday, everything was stock.

Well I was at the PGA Superstore in Denver and they had this driver paired with a Miyazaki Kusula White shaft!! Unfortunately all the bays were full and I didn't get to hit it but man it looks so FREAKING HOT with that shaft!!! I am in Denver for the weekend so I may have to sneak back over there and give this club a try. I am turning into a ho for this club.

Got to hit this yesterday at GS, tried the 10.5 in stiff and regular. Almost every hit felt solid and with the regular shaft my best was 277. Probably averaged 240 but it really felt good. My swing speed was all over from 89 to 98 so I say a 94mph average. Weird because it was averaging 98 about a year ago. Either way the Classic felt the best to me of the drivers I hit yesterday, everything was stock.

Solid numbers for that swing speed! Dispersion was nice too? How was your ball flight/spin (if applicable)?

Tap before talk.

Feel much better about my blind order of the 290 10.5 with stock stiff. Went to Edwin Watts yesterday and they happened to have a demo of the same set up. On their vector, was averaging 14 degree launch and 2400 spin. Carry distance was about 250 on average. Am thrilled when I get 250 total yards from my current stick! The guy at Edwin Watts said if I had come in and tried several different drivers that he doubted seriously that I would be able to achieve more ideal specs for me than I was getting with this club. Can't wait till mine arrives this week!

Last edited:
Feel much better about my blind order the the 290 10.5 with stock stiff. Went to Edwin Watts yesterday and they happened to have a demo of the same set up. On their vector, was averaging 14 degree launch and 2400 spin. Carry distance was about 250 on average. Am thrilled when I get 250 total yards from my current stick! The guy at Edwin Watts said if I had come in and tried several different drivers that he doubted seriously that I would be able to achieve more ideal specs for me than I was getting with this club. Can't wait till mine arrives this week!

Absolutely ideal #'s. Congrats on that kind of confirmation. That has to feel nice!

Had another range session with this today and again, this driver feels amazing. At first the dreaded slice was still apparent, however I tried to remind myself to firm up my arms and make a complete turn with my body, the drives started to straighten out and lengthen in distance. By the end of the session I was ripping them again with a slight controllable fade. My only issue with this driver so far is the grip - it just feels a bit rough on my hands. May regrip this, but after I get my Razr Fit in to compare the stock Lamkin to the Winn Dri-Tac I ordered with the Fit.

Solid numbers for that swing speed! Dispersion was nice too? How was your ball flight/spin (if applicable)?

Tap before talk.

Some pulls and a few fades, spin was around 2900 if I remember right. Ball flight I am not sure as it was on a simulator and I really didnt pay much attention as I was hitting a few different drivers.

I think I might have to have one of these. It's gonna happen this year too :thumb:

I think I might have to have one of these. It's gonna happen this year too :thumb:

I couldn't think of a better combo. A Classic for a Classic. :D

I couldn't think of a better combo. A Classic for a Classic. :D

haha now that is funny good buddy! There is a demo day at Idle Hour CC in Macon next month. I am going to hit the 290 & the Tour model and see how she works.

haha now that is funny good buddy! There is a demo day at Idle Hour CC in Macon next month. I am going to hit the 290 & the Tour model and see how she works.

You know you had better work that Black into the rotation too, you have hit some absolute bombs with that thing buddy.

You know you had better work that Black into the rotation too, you have hit some absolute bombs with that thing buddy.

Will do good buddy and I know the Black is the Bomber for sure! It will be cool to get both on the launch monitor and see what transpires.

Hey guys. Finally uploaded the video of the sound I was getting on the range today. Sorry for the motion at the beginning and end. Hit all of the range balls solidly except for the last ball, which was a weak slice:

Nice video nate.

That sounds quite nice JN. We're also getting quite the sound test from Keegan today. I like the sound of this driver.

That sounds quite nice JN. We're also getting quite the sound test from Keegan today. I like the sound of this driver.

As I said in a previous post, the sound is substantial without being too loud...love it!

Thanks for the video, JN. I thought it sounded real good on TV yesterday too.

Nate that is a sweet sounding driver. I am even thinking about testing the 12 degree version of this driver, at the local demo day next month.

Nate that is a sweet sounding driver. I am even thinking about testing the 12 degree version of this driver, at the local demo day next month.
That's the same one that I want to give a test drive to, OG.

That's the same one that I want to give a test drive to, OG.

Yep I am thinking the 12 degree version will produce long and straight tee shots. Less side spin and more accuracy with great carry.

Yep I am thinking the 12 degree version will produce long and straight tee shots. Less side spin and more accuracy with great carry.
Yes sir, I think you are right. I liked the 10.5*, but was hitting the ball just above line drives. I think the 12* may be where it's at for me with this one.

Has anyone compared the Classic to the CG Black? I am especially interested in the 270 version Classic as opposed to the Black. I had the XL270 and am trying to figure out which would be most like it between those two.

Back