TaylorMade RBZ Irons Review - Forum Testing

Great updates the past two days guys, I have really enjoyed following this testing. Vman, interesting that you aren't liking the AW as much as others. When you say you "nuke it over the green", are you just hitting it much further than you expect or do you think there are distance control issues with this club?

Would you guys mind putting what ball you are using in your updates? It's not that big of deal but could affect the amount of spin/release you are seeing. Thanks and keep up the good work.

Jeff, as far as "nuking" the attack wedge, it's just that it goes further than I'm used to. I'll get dialed in eventually. I've also always had a problem with touch shots inside of 100 yards or so. My misses with almost all of these irons have been a tad long. To me, it feels as if I am just hitting the ball so much purer with this combination of shaft and head compared to my old CGB Max irons with soft tipped graphite shafts. And, my dispersion is much tighter as I mentioned in an earlier post. I just need to get some more swings in and when I get the distances dialed in, these irons I really believe are going to make a huge difference in my game.

BTW I have been using Pro V1's so far. Saving my Penta's for tournaments.

Thanks for the response Vman. You'll get those distances dialed in, like you said, in due time. Glad these are working so well for you and your game.

As far as ball, I have played wither the Rocketball or the E5.

One more question before I purchase my set, how are the 4i and 5i with grass contact, mainly the rough. Do they feel like hybrids dragging through thick grass or do they have the ability to cut through it like a normal blade iron

One more question before I purchase my set, how are the 4i and 5i with grass contact, mainly the rough. Do they feel like hybrids dragging through thick grass or do they have the ability to cut through it like a normal blade iron

I haven't hit them out of real thick rough yet. I've hit them out of a few cuts higher than fairway, but it still wasn't anything intense. They went right through the grass no problem, no questions asked. They are super easy to swing, so I'd almost say the feel is more like a hybrid, though it's not really a "dragging" feel. I can just almost feel the clubface tear through it.

I'm gonna let OG answer this right now because I've been hitting these clubs off the mats thus far and our fairways/rough is cut really low for the winter. But I would guess these clubs are probably very good out of the rough or thick grass. They are built for that.

I've had no problems with them out of the rough at all.

Sweeeeet, looks like its a green light. 4i-pw, aw, sw for $630, I'm excited!!

Heck yeah! Now it's time for the waiting game....:banghead:

Thanks for the response Vman. You'll get those distances dialed in, like you said, in due time. Glad these are working so well for you and your game.

Heck yeah! Now it's time for the waiting game....:banghead:

The waiting game is easy when you live in northwest NY in February. When I receive the clubs, THAT'S when te waiting game will begin ugggggh damn you winter

I pulled the trigger on a set today! Went to get fit and the guy was excellent, he said i was standard everything and looked at swing speeds etc etc and even said i'd be best just leaving the standard shaft in the set so i should get mine delivered on monday. Looking forward to gaming these bad boys but now i've just got to sell my other irons!

Congrats Barry!

Golds -- You asked a question about how do the longer irons hit out of the rough? This time of year, our rough is pretty much nonexistent. I will try and find some thick enough to give the 4 & 5 a test. They have worked well for me off tight fairways and I have a gut feeling ,they will whack a ball out of the rough even better.

I pulled the trigger on a set today! Went to get fit and the guy was excellent, he said i was standard everything and looked at swing speeds etc etc and even said i'd be best just leaving the standard shaft in the set so i should get mine delivered on monday. Looking forward to gaming these bad boys but now i've just got to sell my other irons!

Congrats to both of you guys on your decision and looking forward to your reviews! :clapp:

Love seeing all the purchases. Sounds like people are seeing great success!

First round out today with my RBZs' 3/4h 5-pw... I struck the hybrids excellent but had an off day with my intermediate irons. I am not going to write too much, my basic reason to hop on here and post is to say that my pw absolutely killed the course today. My short game has always been not so great but today it was amazing. I had probably 6-7 holes where I was between 20-60 yards from the green and I consistently nestled that ball within 6 feet of the hole. I have seen people posting about the AW and after my first time out with my PW I am really curious as to what the * is for the pw and the aw. I bought a 52* spin doctor years and years ago and as my skill has increased I don't feel the need for that cheater club anymore. I would love to lose the 52* cheater club but im unsure as to what the * of the aw is.

Wow I feel like an ass now... I didn't even think to look at the TM site, just did and see its 45* PW and 50* AW.. My old clubs were tour edge bazooka geomax.. obviously now I'm playing the RBZ's and I play the Calloway warbird plus ball. I am seeing insane spin/touch on the green now. I haven't done anything to my swing, is anyone else who plays these clubs seeing an increase in spin?

Barry, I knew you were going to do it! I could read into your postings that you were smitten by these bad boys! I think you will love them. What's not to love? Awersome distance with pinpoint accuracy. I'm not selling these clubs, but I'm loving them.

Barry, I knew you were going to do it! I could read into your postings that you were smitten by these bad boys! I think you will love them. What's not to love? Awersome distance with pinpoint accuracy. I'm not selling these clubs, but I'm loving them.

Cheers lads, i'm well excited and v.man i never knew i was that transparent haha I tried them against the R11's which were lovely clubs but i felt the head was slightly larger at address which was off putting but this may be down to more loft on the R11's and making the head look bigger. Your right in saying the distance is unreal, constantly hitting 150 mark with the 7 iron with a range ball!

Anyone have recommendations for very tacky (sticky) and durable club grips? I just saw a new grip from Winn, the Dri-Tac, at golf galaxy and it feels great but it's too new and the sales rep couldn't give me a review on it. The material reminds me of the official NCAA basketball I own, moisture aborbing material and literally sticks to your hand. I'm just not sure how long it lasts and I'm not too familiar with custom grips in general.

6dtw_large.jpg

Wow I feel like an ass now... I didn't even think to look at the TM site, just did and see its 45* PW and 50* AW.. My old clubs were tour edge bazooka geomax.. obviously now I'm playing the RBZ's and I play the Calloway warbird plus ball. I am seeing insane spin/touch on the green now. I haven't done anything to my swing, is anyone else who plays these clubs seeing an increase in spin?

RBZfan -- The GW & PW in this set offers really good spin from full wedge shots to punch shots around the green. Sounds like you have hit the Motherl Lode :D!

Anyone have recommendations for very tacky (sticky) and durable club grips? I just saw a new grip from Winn, the Dri-Tac, at golf galaxy and it feels great but it's too new and the sales rep couldn't give me a review on it. The material reminds me of the official NCAA basketball I own, moisture aborbing material and literally sticks to your hand. I'm just not sure how long it lasts and I'm not too familiar with custom grips in general.

6dtw_large.jpg

Those Winn grips look great! I would not have any hesitation putting those bad boys on my irons. I put mid size grips on mine and went with the Golf Pride Tour wrap grips. I played in really wet conditions and had no problems at all, with the Golf Pride grips.

Well this is my first post here at THP. I have really enjoyed reading everyone’s thoughts and opinions on the new RBZ irons. I have been fitted for a new RBZ set and I am waiting for them to arrive. I went with the 3h,4h,5-pw because it is the same set up I had on my Adams Idea irons. I am very curious about the yardage gapping between the 4h and the 5i. There is only 1 degree of loft difference between the two(22 and 23). The main difference is in the length, the 5i is 38.25" where the 4h is 40.5". Does anyone have or has anyone hit both of these clubs? What yardage gapping did you find between the two?

RBZfan -- The GW & PW in this set offers really good spin from full wedge shots to punch shots around the green. Sounds like you have hit the Motherl Lode :D!

Those Winn grips look great! I would not have any hesitation putting those bad boys on my irons. I put mid size grips on mine and went with the Golf Pride Tour wrap grips. I played in really wet conditions and had no problems at all, with the Golf Pride grips.

They had standard and mid-size of the Winn's at the store...I gotta say the midsize felt fantastic, very soft and almost like a soft leather.

They'll go through the rough just fine unless it's something like 5in long ryegrass. Nothing tends to get through that with any ease. It's been doing pretty well with Florida bermuda when nestled down. Sitting on top of the rough though has been giving me fits. I think it's more Indian than arrow though.

Back