TaylorMade RBZ Irons Review - Forum Testing

I have not hit any of the RBZ hybrids yet except for a swing or two at Dick's Sporting Goods. The 3H felt very hot in the store! I feel like the 4H will work very well for you and be a good bit longer than the 5 iron. I think some of our forum members have the combo set and can give you a better reply. Let us know how they work for you and congrats on your purchase!

Taking folks to the Woodshed using Tapatalk

I have not hit any of the RBZ hybrids yet except for a swing or two at Dick's Sporting Goods. The 3H felt very hot in the store! I feel like the 4H will work very well for you and be a good bit longer than the 5 iron. I think some of our forum members have the combo set and can give you a better reply. Let us know how they work for you and congrats on your purchase!

Taking folks to the Woodshed using Tapatalk

A kid at golfgalaxy with a 15 handicap crushed the RBZ hybrid 262 yards on the simulator while he was getting iron fitted. It was crazy. He was also CRUSHING irons, I lost all confidence in my game after watching that lol.

I just started reading this thread ....

Good videos there Mward ! wtg !

I guess I didn't know what to expect about these irons ... they are thicker than what I was thinking they were going to be ..... guess I didn't know what the tarted golfer was for the design

Looking forward to reading the rest of this thread. All Yall know what it's like to be behind on a BIG THREAD :D

I am skeptical of simulators. At my local GG I hit the RBZ 7, 145. That same day I went to the local super golf course/range with Doppler radar monitors. Same club, 165-170. I was hitting the 3h at GG 200?
Got me. No clue.

Cheers all

Gray. I can't wait to see this in person on Friday!

we need to hook up so I can see these too !!

I want to see that 4I put one in orbit !!

I have some pics to show different views of RBZ irons:

4 iron vs 7 iron top of club view

DSCF0482.jpg

7 iron vs 4 iron face views

DSCF0480.jpg

DSCF0479.jpg

Pics of Grips

DSCF0481.jpg

Full view of irons

DSCF0478.jpg

DSCF0477.jpg

Really nice looking set of irons that I believe TaylorMade has made themselves proud with the design and technology built in. I will begin finding out for myself and many of you just what these irons have under the hood. Testing begins tomorrow barring no rain in the forecast.

WOW, nice video there Cuzz !

I didn't know, but from your vid and pics I get the idea that the longer irons are almost built like hybrids, is that right ?

must be a lot easier to hit them than the old standard designs .... I don't have an iron in my bag longer than that 7I and this causes me some real problems .... I need to fix that !

Thanks for this Frank, the pictures give me a much greater appreciation for the club design factors

Thought I would post this up from the TaylorMade Website.

technology_face-thickness-progression-343x765.png

That variable face thickness design is quite a bit different from what I've seen in other irons.

WOW, nice video there Cuzz !

I didn't know, but from your vid and pics I get the idea that the longer irons are almost built like hybrids, is that right ?

must be a lot easier to hit them than the old standard designs .... I don't have an iron in my bag longer than that 7I and this causes me some real problems .... I need to fix that !

Thanks cuz! Yep the 4 & 5 irons are hybrid like irons and although they do take some time to get accustomed to, they are crazy long if you get them dialed in. If you are a true hybrid homer, you might want to consider a combo set which some have chosen to do. Either way, these dawgs will hunt!

I am skeptical of simulators. At my local GG I hit the RBZ 7, 145. That same day I went to the local super golf course/range with Doppler radar monitors. Same club, 165-170. I was hitting the 3h at GG 200?
Got me. No clue

I was hitting the 7 iron 150 at the outdoor range and that was obviously with poor balls so I'm expecting another 10 yards at least on to that with something decent

I was hitting the 7 iron 150 at the outdoor range and that was obviously with poor balls so I'm expecting another 10 yards at least on to that with something decent

I'm hoping the simulator is somewhat accurate, I had a huge carry on a 175yrd 6 iron...I'll take that all day

Man I look forward to trying out these irons! Rocketballz it's just funny to say!

I'm hoping the simulator is somewhat accurate, I had a huge carry on a 175yrd 6 iron...I'll take that all day

What do you hit your current 6?

I played today with forum members Chewie & T0AD. My best club of the day was my 4 - iron as I hit it solid off the tee the few times I got to use it. The wind was pretty rough today and the long iron stood it's ground well. My 5 - 8 irons were just ok and my scoring clubs in this set were having an off day. This was totally an operator error today and had nothing to do with the irons.

I've had carries of 195 with total well over 200 with my 6-iron. Honestly I take it with a grain of salt.

Time for an update on my progress bonding with the new RBZ irons. Thursday was a planned range day to work out some difficulties with the 4 and 5 iron, as well as the AW, but the range was closed due to rain Wednesday night. I did get in an extra half hour or so before my round on Friday and I'm very comfortable with the AW now. I hit the 4 and 5 a few times on the range and during the round, hit the 5 iron twice and the 4 once with good results. So, it really is just a matter of getting comfortable with them. The Friday round was good fun, but average as I shot another 85. This was no fault of the irons, my putting is just a little inconsistent right now.

Saturday we had a "pre-season" tournament sponsored by our pro. We had about 30 teams of four playing best 3 balls per hole with handicap. It's a fun tournament we do every year prior to the MGA season and they trick up the course a little with tough pins poslitions. I'm sure you guys no the drill. It was quite cold, but sunny and the wind was listed as 10 to 20 mph, with gusts to 40 mph or higher. It seemed worse. The wind was pretty brutal. Well, the RBZ's really shined today. I hit 15 out of 18 greens in regulation despite the tough wind conditions. Four 3-putts and two 1-putts had me coming to 17 two over par! I was really pumped! I promptly nuked an 8-iron over the short par 3 17th into the hazard and double bogied. :at-wits-end: Stepped up to the 18th and hit a majestic drive that hooked into the lake. Took another double bogie. :angry: I ended up shooting 78, but, I can't be too upset about it, especially under the conditions. My team ended up finishing second in the tournament, so it was a good day. I'm very encouraged at how well I controlled the ball flight with these irons today. With the exception of getting a little too excited on 17, I had great distance control, and as I've said in earlier posts, directionally, the ball is going where I'm trying to hit it. And, this was only my fifth round with them. More next week.

Time for an update on my progress bonding with the new RBZ irons. Thursday was a planned range day to work out some difficulties with the 4 and 5 iron, as well as the AW, but the range was closed due to rain Wednesday night. I did get in an extra half hour or so before my round on Friday and I'm very comfortable with the AW now. I hit the 4 and 5 a few times on the range and during the round, hit the 5 iron twice and the 4 once with good results. So, it really is just a matter of getting comfortable with them. The Friday round was good fun, but average as I shot another 85. This was no fault of the irons, my putting is just a little inconsistent right now.

Saturday we had a "pre-season" tournament sponsored by our pro. We had about 30 teams of four playing best 3 balls per hole with handicap. It's a fun tournament we do every year prior to the MGA season and they trick up the course a little with tough pins poslitions. I'm sure you guys no the drill. It was quite cold, but sunny and the wind was listed as 10 to 20 mph, with gusts to 40 mph or higher. It seemed worse. The wind was pretty brutal. Well, the RBZ's really shined today. I hit 15 out of 18 greens in regulation despite the tough wind conditions. Four 3-putts and two 1-putts had me coming to 17 two over par! I was really pumped! I promptly nuked an 8-iron over the short par 3 17th into the hazard and double bogied. :at-wits-end: Stepped up to the 18th and hit a majestic drive that hooked into the lake. Took another double bogie. :angry: I ended up shooting 78, but, I can't be too upset about it, especially under the conditions. My team ended up finishing second in the tournament, so it was a good day. I'm very encouraged at how well I controlled the ball flight with these irons today. With the exception of getting a little too excited on 17, I had great distance control, and as I've said in earlier posts, directionally, the ball is going where I'm trying to hit it. And, this was only my fifth round with them. More next week.

Man that is some great shooting vman! Especially the way the wind has been a factor lately. I enjoyed your review :clapp:.

I've had carries of 195 with total well over 200 with my 6-iron. Honestly I take it with a grain of salt.
???????? I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean.

You guys are doing a great job of the testing in this thread. You are really making me want to hit these irons, especially the longer irons.

I'd be pretty happy about that round myself v.man, and like you said, especially in those conditions. A big thanks for coming and posting in this thread also. We're glad to have you posting your thoughts here.

???????? I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean.

You guys are doing a great job of the testing in this thread. You are really making me want to hit these irons, especially the longer irons.

CB I think you'd really enjoy the long irons. These are the first set where I can pull the long irons out and not say "well, I wonder if this will end up where I want?" I have a lot of confidence with the long irons as far out as 230 with the 4. I'm playing Valeer Creek tomorrow (it's where the TX outing is going to be) and I'm hoping to get some vids and pics.

I'd be pretty happy about that round myself v.man, and like you said, especially in those conditions. A big thanks for coming and posting in this thread also. We're glad to have you posting your thoughts here.

CB I think you'd really enjoy the long irons. These are the first set where I can pull the long irons out and not say "well, I wonder if this will end up where I want?" I have a lot of confidence with the long irons as far out as 230 with the 4. I'm playing Valeer Creek tomorrow (it's where the TX outing is going to be) and I'm hoping to get some vids and pics.
Interesting, having confindence in a 4 iron is something I haven't had in a long time, however I also haven't played one in a long time.

Interesting, having confindence in a 4 iron is something I haven't had in a long time, however I also haven't played one in a long time.

It's fun. I definitely recommend giving them a swing when you get a chance. The 5-iron (which is really a traditional 4) is so automatic for me right now I'm finding that I can hit it anywhere from 195 to 215 with ease. I've never had that kind of range with just one club but it's there with these. The shafts have been holding up a little better for me on faster swings as long as I keep a smooth transition and a hard 5 right now is right at 215.

I know the testing is in good hands for the next few days while I'm home interviewing. I'll be checking in, but unfortunately will not have a chance to play.

Lots of great thoughts and reviews in here guys! These might have to get a tryout later in the year.

Whew it's a nice day. Time to go see if I can get 9 in with the RBZ's. Hope it goes well!

Back