TaylorMade RBZ Irons Review - Forum Testing

So I just went to pick up my custom fit RBZ's today. First time I've hit anything besides the 6 iron, and I have to say I'm beyond impressed. The 4 and 5 irons are absolutely ridiculous as everyone else has stated. My first shot with the 5 carried about 200-205 and had the ball flight of my normal 7 iron, I was in awe. Then I hit another with the same result, and another. I can't say enough about these long irons already. I didn't hit many shots with the shorter irons, but am certainly looking forward to doing that this weekend. Great reviews guys, certainly led me to leaning towards these.

Congrats Griz! The long irons are a deal sealer for these I think. It's great that this is how the set comes when you go 4 and 5-iron and get something that's just so easy to hit.

Congrats Griz! The long irons are a deal sealer for these I think. It's great that this is how the set comes when you go 4 and 5-iron and get something that's just so easy to hit.

The cool thing about these long irons is you can play most par four holes with ease, reducing the need for trying to control the big stick. It sounds like Griz is a grizzly with these cannons :bulgy-eyes:

I'm hoping Frank and I can get together soon and do some side by side RBZ testing, maybe some video involved!

The cool thing about these long irons is you can play most par four holes with ease, reducing the need for trying to control the big stick. It sounds like Griz is a grizzly with these cannons :bulgy-eyes:

Easy for you to say. I'm still trying to get a handle on the 4 and 5. :confused2: I hit them good off a tee, but still haven't had any success of the turf (what there is of it). I'll figure this out, sooner or later.

Easy for you to say. I'm still trying to get a handle on the 4 and 5. :confused2: I hit them good off a tee, but still haven't had any success of the turf (what there is of it). I'll figure this out, sooner or later.

No doubt when the summer grass comes in it will be a whole lot easier for everyone off the deck.

No doubt when the summer grass comes in it will be a whole lot easier for everyone off the deck.

For some reason, I seem to swing harder with the 4 and 5. I know you've said the key is to swing smoother and not lean on it. Try as I might I just haven't been able to find that swing. No matter how smooth and slow I take it back, it's lunge-city when i pull the trigger. I think more range time will eventually fix it. But, we're still on mats and that isn't helping.

For some reason, I seem to swing harder with the 4 and 5. I know you've said the key is to swing smoother and not lean on it. Try as I might I just haven't been able to find that swing. No matter how smooth and slow I take it back, it's lunge-city when i pull the trigger. I think more range time will eventually fix it. But, we're still on mats and that isn't helping.

I understand your pain. When I swing for the fences I see ugly stuff with any of my clubs. I have a tempo band that I wear most days. to give me that extra reminder to swing within myself. We want to help the longer irons when in fact they will get the job done, if we just put a smooth swing on them.

I understand your pain. When I swing for the fences I see ugly stuff with any of my clubs. I have a tempo band that I wear most days. to give me that extra reminder to swing within myself. We want to help the longer irons when in fact they will get the job done, if we just put a smooth swing on them.

story of my life!!

Haha yes, definitely getting a little Grizzly. My average swing speed with a 6 iron was 94 so I've no got no issues with distance. I also picked up a 3 hybrid with the irons, and I was absolutely crushing that as well. I'm sure a 3 wood will be my next purchase, maybe part way through the season. I'm really looking forward to see how these perform on the course, I know I'm going to have a higher ball flight across the board so it should be interesting, hopefully holding more greens with the longer irons.

I'm back after a partial week away. Sorry for my absence from the thread. The first thing I did yesterday after returning home was stop off at the range. I've been making great contact with these irons and seeing some really nice ball flight. My wrists have been a little stiff in my swing and that's where I've been losing my yardage. I'm hoping to get a little back but in all honesty if I can just swing solid like I have been I will take it. I'm hoping to get out on Sunday and get another good round in.

I'm happy that everyone is having good results with these clubs. I'm still a huge fan. More of a write up after my round.

I'll be playing 18 tomorrow so if anybody has picture or video requests that hasn't been put in this thread yet shoot some requests at me.

I'll be playing 18 tomorrow so if anybody has picture or video requests that hasn't been put in this thread yet shoot some requests at me.

Enjoy!! Will be range for me again this weekend then 2 rounds back to back next weekend.

The day has come. RBZ's in the house..

Quick question on your new RBZ irons. A buddy of mine bought a set from golfdork36 on ebay and got them last week. I was checking them out and very jealous I must admit... My question for you is this, the grips on these clubs have a strong smell of rubber/chemical to them, do yours have any smell to them? I heard this can be a tell of knockoff clubs.

I will going out today and put these though the paces again. I'm going to focus on hitting some low punch type shots from varying distances starting with 7i up to the AW. I also had one person ask how the 4 & 5 hit out of the rough. We don't have any thick rough to test due to dormant grass. Maybe someone in Florida that actually has rough, can answer how they perform. I do know that they work pretty well out of the mud! We have received quite a bit of rain lately and the few times that I have been able to play, they have performed better that I would have expected.

Quick question on your new RBZ irons. A buddy of mine bought a set from golfdork36 on ebay and got them last week. I was checking them out and very jealous I must admit... My question for you is this, the grips on these clubs have a strong smell of rubber/chemical to them, do yours have any smell to them? I heard this can be a tell of knockoff clubs.

If he went with Golfdork he should have received a taylormade order number and tracking number as well as the taylormade invoice. Atleast that's what Tim has told me (the reason why I went with golfdork).

I will going out today and put these though the paces again. I'm going to focus on hitting some low punch type shots from varying distances starting with 7i up to the AW. I also had one person ask how the 4 & 5 hit out of the rough. We don't have any thick rough to test due to dormant grass. Maybe someone in Florida that actually has rough, can answer how they perform. I do know that they work pretty well out of the mud! We have received quite a bit of rain lately and the few times that I have been able to play, they have performed better that I would have expected.

Knowing Jonesco as I do, this made me lol. Enjoy your round today buddy.

I had a pretty good ball striking round with these yesterday. I didnt hit them great, but that wasn't the clubs fault, was my swing! I'll just restate this again, the AW in this set is tooooo goood. Best shot of the day was 120 yard downhill par 3. Just took a little half swing with the AW and let it fly. Hit 6 feet from the pin and stopped. Proceeded to miss the putt, but thats another story. I played with another guy yesterday who I normally don't play with. He's a very amateur golfer, but I let him hit quite a few of the RBZs and he loved them. He teed off with the 4i a couple times and was amazed at how easy they were to hit. I also teed off with the 4i on 3 holes and had 2 that I hit very well, about 220 yards or so, and 1 that I hit very fat that went about 20 yards. I'm finally starting to be able to put a good swing on these longer irons, and its showing. Easy swing = big results. Mr. OG has said it a bunch, and I finally took his advice and stopped trying to kill everything! Course was very wet and from 150 yards in the irons worked well out of soggy conditions. I have no school for the next week so I'm hoping to get a TON of golf in if the weather will cooperate.

Three of my friends and I just went out for a causal work on your game type session today. The course was not crowded so we could hit two or three shots from a particular location and didn't keep score. Just dodging mud puddles today. I was able to hit a few of the low punch shots with 7 - AW. To do this, I really had to cut my swing off and play the ball off the back foot. The higher lofted clubs, really want to send the ball up in the sky. Another interesting thing I am finding out about these clubs are, they are really hard for me to play a cut. I rarely fade the ball anyways but now and then you need to hit that shot. It's near impossible for me to do this. I would encourage any of you out there who have a problem with slicing the ball, to give these a demo. For those of you who already have that tendency and own these irons, speak out and let us know if they help you hit a straighter ball?

Three of my friends and I just went out for a causal work on your game type session today. The course was not crowded so we could hit two or three shots from a particular location and didn't keep score. Just dodging mud puddles today. I was able to hit a few of the low punch shots with 7 - AW. To do this, I really had to cut my swing off and play the ball off the back foot. The higher lofted clubs, really want to send the ball up in the sky. Another interesting thing I am finding out about these clubs are, they are really hard for me to play a cut. I rarely fade the ball anyways but now and then you need to hit that shot. It's near impossible for me to do this. I would encourage any of you out there who have a problem with slicing the ball, to give these a demo. For those of you who already have that tendency and own these irons, speak out and let us know if they help you hit a straighter ball?

Same here OG. I can draw them pretty much at will, but just cannot get them to go left to right. I can live with that though. My predominate ball flight has been dead straight and I'm loving that. Had a near ace today with a seven iron. The ball never left the hole and rolled up and nudged the pin. Tap in birdie. Sweet. Shot an 83 today. Poor first nine off the tee cost me, but the irons were stellar. And I'm finding the handle finally on the 4 and 5 iron. I was over thinking everything when I would try to hit them. The last couple of rounds I've just said the heck with it, stepped up to the ball, waggled and let it fly. And the 4-iron off the tee is just sick! Guys, picture this. Par 3 185 to a green surrounded on three sides by water with a trap and road to the right. The wind was hurting a little so I figured I'd give the 4-iron a try (normally would have hit a rescue). The ball was last seen flying right over the flag, bounced off the back of the green into the lake. I looked at my two playing partners and they were staring towards the green with their mouths open. Finally, one of them said wtf did you hit? I told them I just smoothed my 4-iron. They both then hit their 4 irons short of the green. :D

Same here OG. I can draw them pretty much at will, but just cannot get them to go left to right. I can live with that though. My predominate ball flight has been dead straight and I'm loving that. Had a near ace today with a seven iron. The ball never left the hole and rolled up and nudged the pin. Tap in birdie. Sweet. Shot an 83 today. Poor first nine off the tee cost me, but the irons were stellar. And I'm finding the handle finally on the 4 and 5 iron. I was over thinking everything when I would try to hit them. The last couple of rounds I've just said the heck with it, stepped up to the ball, waggled and let it fly. And the 4-iron off the tee is just sick! Guys, picture this. Par 3 185 to a green surrounded on three sides by water with a trap and road to the right. The wind was hurting a little so I figured I'd give the 4-iron a try (normally would have hit a rescue). The ball was last seen flying right over the flag, bounced off the back of the green into the lake. I looked at my two playing partners and they were staring towards the green with their mouths open. Finally, one of them said wtf did you hit? I told them I just smoothed my 4-iron. They both then hit their 4 irons short of the green. :D

How about the players that have a hook as their miss? Have you guys seen more hooks out of these? My miss is a hook and I seem to hook my Burner 2 long irons much more easily than the shorter clubs.

I had a pretty good ball striking round with these yesterday. I didnt hit them great, but that wasn't the clubs fault, was my swing! I'll just restate this again, the AW in this set is tooooo goood. Best shot of the day was 120 yard downhill par 3. Just took a little half swing with the AW and let it fly. Hit 6 feet from the pin and stopped. Proceeded to miss the putt, but thats another story. I played with another guy yesterday who I normally don't play with. He's a very amateur golfer, but I let him hit quite a few of the RBZs and he loved them. He teed off with the 4i a couple times and was amazed at how easy they were to hit. I also teed off with the 4i on 3 holes and had 2 that I hit very well, about 220 yards or so, and 1 that I hit very fat that went about 20 yards. I'm finally starting to be able to put a good swing on these longer irons, and its showing. Easy swing = big results. Mr. OG has said it a bunch, and I finally took his advice and stopped trying to kill everything! Course was very wet and from 150 yards in the irons worked well out of soggy conditions. I have no school for the next week so I'm hoping to get a TON of golf in if the weather will cooperate.

Hope the weather does cooperate, bro. I found that being able to put in a couple of rounds back to back really helped in "settling in" with these babies, if you know what I mean. The more reps you get in, the more comfortable you'll be. At least that's the way it is with me. It sounds like you have a good handle on the scoring irons, and like me, need some more work with the 4 and 5.

Playing a little catch up on the thread, sounds as though all the tester's are and some of the new user's are settling in with the swings and finding Gold. Hopefully the grass will wake up and give you guy's something lush to hit out of. Rock on!!

I just wanna touch on what OleGray was saying about slicing the ball. I do have a slice that has appeared in my game and i've worked really hard to get it out of my game however it does still show its ugly head from time to time especially in my longer irons. These clubs certainly do tame the slice in your game and do generally send the ball straight and long however if it is to slice it only seems to do it very slight. By nature I am a scooper and lately I've been trying to work on hitting down on the ball so tonight i went to the range and worked on 9-6 irons and when i really struck it properly I was shocked how far the ball flew. It was tougher with the 5 and 4 irons but when i'm next out I will work on these a little more and with a little more practice then i'm sure i will see the same results as the other irons.

How about the players that have a hook as their miss? Have you guys seen more hooks out of these? My miss is a hook and I seem to hook my Burner 2 long irons much more easily than the shorter clubs.

When I try to put too much into my swing with the 4 or 5 I do snap hook it. I also do that with my hybrids and driver so it's a swing flaw IMO. I do the same thing with my Cleveland 4 iron too. Swing smooth not hard and it will fix that problem :thumb:

I just wanna touch on what OleGray was saying about slicing the ball. I do have a slice that has appeared in my game and i've worked really hard to get it out of my game however it does still show its ugly head from time to time especially in my longer irons. These clubs certainly do tame the slice in your game and do generally send the ball straight and long however if it is to slice it only seems to do it very slight. By nature I am a scooper and lately I've been trying to work on hitting down on the ball so tonight i went to the range and worked on 9-6 irons and when i really struck it properly I was shocked how far the ball flew. It was tougher with the 5 and 4 irons but when i'm next out I will work on these a little more and with a little more practice then i'm sure i will see the same results as the other irons.

Good post barry :clapp: That is exactly what I was referring to with you that have a tendency to go left to right. With it being so hard for me to fade these irons, I thought they might be a tremendous help, for folks looking for irons that help to reduce the dreaded slice.

Back