Best tip I ever got from watching Golf Channel Academy

CMedina84

Reaction score
Handicap
8-12
I was watching the Golf Channel Academy and one of the tips I picked up from them was drag your knuckles. They were saying when you swing, in order to help you square the club face and trap the ball, pretend you are trying to drag your lead hand (my right because i'm a lefty)knuckles on the ground. I took a bunch of slow practice swings trying to see how this felt and when i took my first swing with my 9 iron i never saw such a beautiful ball flight before. I'm a slicer and after working with this piece of advice i'm not hitting them straighter and with a slight draw. So I tell you its worth a try if you are like me and tend to slice or leave the club face open. Finally this week in the northeast I was able to get out on a nice 65 degree day and for the first time this season I shot an 87, usually i'm an 90-95 consistent shooter with the occasional 85-89 game. I was overshooting greens because the club i was using I usually ended up short based on the distance I was reading. I also didn't use my driver once because i was hitting my 3-wood so well that I didn't need the driver because I was so confident in my 3-wood.

My last driving range sesssion with my driver I was applying the same concept along with the backwards "k" body position and i was hitting great slight draws.

Get out there and just practice as if you are trying to drag your knuckles on the ground, it will help you tremendously if you're having a problem with closing the club face or slicing. Let me know if anyone tries it and it works out! I just wanted to share this with others.

That is a really great tip! I should think about that one more often.

Great! I'm glad this works for you. I'll have to try it also! Plus, I'm envious of you because between work and weather I have only been able to go to the range ONCE and haven't played at all!!!!:alien:

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.

Thanks for sharing that! Now I'm gonna be snap hooking everything! Ha!

Nice tip, I will have to give it a try

Interesting swing thought, I was just doing some pretend swings in the office. I can see how that might work. I often push the ball because I block through impact too much and don't have a good release. I think this tip will also help with that as I can really feel my hands working through impact when I do that.

gonna have to give this a try, great tip

Good tip.
It's the same basic thought I use when practicing with my Tour Striker.
I think, "Left knuckles down at impact" which gives you a bow in the left wrist and eliminates scooping.
I'm right handed by the way. Reverse if you are a lefty...

I had never heard that one, I need to see how it works with my swing. Thanks for sharing.

Interesting to see if this helps with my slice, especially with the big stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a good tip I just started using this from my GolfTec lessons and has helped me swing on plane and hold my hinge better.

By far, the best tip I ever got was on alignment, by Dean Reinmuth.

The guy in the video is not Reinmuth, but he's explaining the technique:

[video=youtube;ipJI-ZnpeMs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipJI-ZnpeMs[/video]

Worth a shot after yesterday's round.

Ill have to give it a try...thanks

Smallie, the alignment tip was good too...I tend to aim too far right, I really need to work on this one.

It seems like i really have to try this. Thanks.

This is a good tip. +1 with Buck on this one, the idea is to hold the hinge longer thus keeping the club face more square at impact and not flipping your wrist before contact with the ball.

If anyone watches the golf fix, I got mine this week. He was talking about the way your shoulders should move during your putting stroke. Put an alignment rod under your arms/ across your chest and as you make your putting stroke the rod should move up and down, and in no other direction. This means your using your shoulders properly with you putting stroke.

Tapaway!

Interesting tip, it's early in the year so I'll try it. By the end of the year I am so messed up in the head as I have a hundreds of different thoughts on every swing, one is usually counteracting the other. No wonder I'm not improving.

I just watched Sean Foley on the GC video archives when he was on the 12 Nights at the Academy. I consider myself a "feel" player, especially with my short game, but some of his more technical tips and tricks really hit home for me. I'd reccomend it checking it out.

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/12-nights-academy-sean-foley/

I tried the dragging you knuckle tip yesterday and it really helped me get through the ball better. Great tip.

I gotta try this one out, especially if it helps avoid scooping as indicated...thanks

Sounds like a good idea for keeping the shaft lean through the ball thus trapping it. I will give the drag your knuckles a try next time out.

The best tip I always remember while playing now was from Breed on the Fix and he talked about picturing hitting a long box and trying to hit the back of it so it slides straight on the ground. Now I picture that box in front of the ball and when I swing I'm trying to push the box, it really helps me swing down and through the ball in a more sweeping motion that coming over the top of it.

Back