Callaway Sells Top-Flite

Just curious here, but is Topflight one of, if not the top in name brand awareness?

It's certainly up there, I have had more than one person say "isn't top flight one of the best brands". I wouldn't be surprised if was in the top 5 among casual golfers.

Interesting. I think it's a good pick-up for Dick's.

I'm worried about my beloved Gamer v2. Hopefully, they will keep it around.

It's certainly up there, I have had more than one person say "isn't top flight one of the best brands". I wouldn't be surprised if was in the top 5 among casual golfers.

Yea, I would think name brand awareness would have a lot of "Blue Sky" attached.

Well this can only be a good thing for Top Flite right? I mean yes the gamer v2 is a good ball, but the rest of the stuff could use a facelift. Maybe dicks can provide that

Tapa Slice

Intersting new CEO for Cally and a sale like this. It is Dicks that has the Mcgreggor line as well correct? Maybe Dick's can throw some life into the Top Flight name a lot of great players once used the clubs. I wonder if Callaway is going to sell the Ben Hogan name the only thing I can think that Cally has done with it is use the Edge name on the Diablo product and I don't think too many people make the connection.

Macgregor is owned by Golfsmith.

Just curious here, but is Topflight one of, if not the top in name brand awareness?

It's probably pretty high on the brand awareness list....especially among non-golfers because in every Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart or any other department store you can count on a couple of brands of balls and gloves being sold....and Titliest and TopFlite are always in that group, so to the casual person who doesnt frequent "golf shops" or read golf only magazines or websites it definately has to be very high on the brand awareness list.

I hope it was a good deal for everyone. Top-Flite has been in the forefront for many many years, so Dicks should be able to generate revenue shortly.

The way I remember it Top Flite was purchased for the Hogan name and the golf ball Tech.The Gamer V2 will either be renamed as a Callaway ball or disappear.Generally speaking a transaction like this is for the name only not the products and Technology.

The way I remember it Top Flite was purchased for the Hogan name and the golf ball Tech.The Gamer V2 will either be renamed as a Callaway ball or disappear.Generally speaking a transaction like this is for the name only not the products and Technology.

You're probably right, they sold the Hogan brand earlier this year as well.

Meh, Top Flite hasn't meant anything to me in golfing terms for about 15 years now. I don't even think we get the balls over here since Callaway bought them.

If Ben Hogan Golf was included in the sale of Top-Flite to Callaway, will Dick's/Golf Galaxy be gaining that brand as well? I'm still hopeful that somebody will revive one of the best names irons.

I had just bought a ton of the gamer v2 and actually love them. I think this will be a really good thing for top flight. I was in a Dick's last night and they're really pushing the Maxfli line of theirs. You walk in the area and there's large marketing signs explaining the different types, conditions etc. of each ball. To the casual golfer, that explanation and price point is everything.

without knowing any insider details, I would say this is nothing more than taking .25 on the 1.00 rather than getting 0 on the 1.00. Using co. resources I pulled up their financials and they're worse than I thought..here's some boring financial details that support your worries

Growth5-year annual revenue growth > 15%(0.4%)Fail
1-year revenue growth > 12%3.4%Fail
MarginsGross margin > 35%39.4%Pass
Net margin > 15%(0.2%)Fail
Balance sheetDebt to equity < 50%0%Pass
Current ratio > 1.33.37Pass
OpportunitiesReturn on equity > 15%(0.3%)Fail
ValuationNormalized P/E < 20NMNM
DividendsCurrent yield > 2%0.5%Fail
5-year dividend growth > 10%(32.2%)Fail
Total Score 3 out of 9

im really worried about Callaway. i heard they are struggling and are in some serious debt. not sure if thats true or not but they make a solid product and i hope this wasn't cause they had to sell more that they wanted to sell.

Im not sure what all that means but it doesnt look good with all those "fails"

basically they have more debt than cash, they have no ROI, and the stock makes no money. Like Jim Kramer says....SELL SELL SELL

If they were any other co besides a golf co. they'd be prime for a buyout orr takeover. thing is the golf industry is in a real downturn financially speaking so no one would want to take a big chance like that now. Well, adidas or Nike could actually but that's for another topic....
Im not sure what all that means but it doesnt look good with all those "fails"

basically they have more debt than cash, they have no ROI, and the stock makes no money. Like Jim Kramer says....SELL SELL SELL

If they were any other co besides a golf co. they'd be prime for a buyout orr takeover. thing is the golf industry is in a real downturn financially speaking so no one would want to take a big chance like that now. Well, adidas or Nike could actually but that's for another topic....

One could argue that a value investor like Warren Buffett would look at buying their stock in this downturn. Problem is there isn't a catalyst (or hopeful one) that I can see that would lead to some growth. I think there is a good deal of value left in the name, just nothing to trigger the growth that Wall Street needs. Hopefully the new leadership can turn it around without liquidating too many assets.

I still use Top-Flite balls a lot for scramble tournaments. You can hit them a mile and then switch to a premium ball to stick the green, lol.

Well that makes two things I've learned. One, Callaway sold Top-Flite. Two, Callaway owned Top-Flite. Somehow, the Callaway balls in my bag feel a little cheaper knowing they were somehow associated with Top-Flite. JK, I actually hit a lot of top-flite balls I find lying around. While they perform as expected for a cheap ball, they feel soft to hit, and that's about all I look for in a cheap ball.

But it gets me thinking, do you remember when Top-Flite was one of the top balls in golf? I mean, the Magna???.....Anybody?:confused2:

~Rock

But it gets me thinking, do you remember when Top-Flite was one of the top balls in golf? I mean, the Magna???.....Anybody?

~Rock

I remember Top Flite being one of the first to come out with the angle that a ball will fly at different trajectories. The XL 2000 high trajectory seemed to be everywhere.

Back