Callaway UPRO MX+ GPS Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The in depth THP Review of the latest GPS offering from Callaway is now on the home page. Check it out here.

http://bit.ly/Ma0qxD

Nice thorough review by the THP staff! I had the original Upro, and all of the stories about bugs on the MX model that was released scared me away from buying it last year. Hopefully they have the bugs worked out and these units work well for a lot of people. Moving to a model of preloading the courses on the device is a huge step in the right direction.

That was a great write up, It's nice to see the funcionality of it is easy and that it's also accurate. I'm looking for something along
these lines now. Gonna take a look at it, I need easy!

great writeup, hoping they got all of the bugs worked out, as it could really be one of the better all around GPS's available, especially for the price

Great write-up JB. Def seems like Cally has a winner in the UPRO MX+. Love that it's preloaded with courses, and the Pro mode looks very cool.

Solid review on this device JB! I had a few questions regarding exactly what was installed on the device out of the box and they were addressed very quickly in your review.

I had the chance to see this in action in Austin and was quite impressed with the fly over video that I saw but that was my only experience with it.

It sounds like a very solid offering for the price point, also glad to hear that the previous issues that they had appear to have been resolved.

Nice review Josh! I have had no issues since the latest update came out and no battery issues at all. In fact we used it for all 4 of us in Austin, it went back in my bag and I went out of town for a week and forgot to charge it, came home went to the course and played 18 holes without any issues.

Great review JB !
Now that my SkyCaddie seems to be on it's last legs, I just may have to pull the trigger on one of these.
Thanks again!

This sounds pretty dang good from what I'm reading. The price isn't too bad either. I thought that the features looked great in print, but was worried that they wouldn't hold up to the hype. Glad that you could give us a good summary of what the MX+ has to offer.

Great review, been using my MX since the release of the new beta software, they quickly responded with UI changes, it works great now with perfect size for a pocket.

Sounds to me like UPRO is a top of the line GPS, I would think anyone considering purshasing a GPS would have to give this unit a long, hard look.

I think I'm ready to retire golfshot for this and they are already down to 189 free shipping on ebay

Great write-up JB. Def seems like Cally has a winner in the UPRO MX+. Love that it's preloaded with courses, and the Pro mode looks very cool.

+1 I love the preloaded courses. I have been using Golfshot Pro for a while on my iPhone but I am contemplating a switch to an actual GPS. This is high up on the list. Thanks JB for the review.

This sounds pretty dang good from what I'm reading. The price isn't too bad either. I thought that the features looked great in print, but was worried that they wouldn't hold up to the hype. Glad that you could give us a good summary of what the MX+ has to offer.

I have been using the same GPS for 3 years because I really felt as though it was still the best out there for me. This is the 1st one that has come along that has knocked it out of the bag. Its a solid device.

I have been using the same GPS for 3 years because I really felt as though it was still the best out there for me. This is the 1st one that has come along that has knocked it out of the bag. Its a solid device.

That's actually a huge statement, because you were pretty attached to that other one.

Sounds like a great device, But I would bet that almost everyone in here has a smart phone. So my question is what would make me buy this Calloway MX+ GPS over just downloading a $26.00 App on my phone? What Distinct feature does the Calloway provide?

Great review, JB!

From the little I know about you, you seem to be someone that doesnt always jump at the newest thing, but rather the thing that works the best for you. For someone with so many options at your disposal, seems that this is a tremendous endorsement.

What an awesome looking device, thanks for the review JB. Price is set at a decent point that I think a lot of people will give this one a try. I am a fan of the simplicity of a GPS device rather than a rangefinder, and this one looks to be the total package.

This is an excellent review, and the kudos from many users above speaks to the quality of the device. I'm surprised, however, that the review made no mention of shot tracking, nor did any of the followup comments. I had the original upro MX, and (unlike many) was willing to put up with its shortcomings and wait to see its potential fulfilled with the many promised features. However, when they "upgraded" the software by removing shot tracking, I was disgusted and dumped it. Last I heard, the mx+ still did not have have the shot tracking feature, and this was made well known in THP forums. Is that such an insignificant feature of a golf GPS that only high handicappers who love gadgets (like me) care about it?

This is an excellent review, and the kudos from many users above speaks to the quality of the device. I'm surprised, however, that the review made no mention of shot tracking, nor did any of the followup comments. I had the original upro MX, and (unlike many) was willing to put up with its shortcomings and wait to see its potential fulfilled with the many promised features. However, when they "upgraded" the software by removing shot tracking, I was disgusted and dumped it. Last I heard, the mx+ still did not have have the shot tracking feature, and this was made well known in THP forums. Is that such an insignificant feature of a golf GPS that only high handicappers who love gadgets (like me) care about it?

Personally, I did not know enough about the original UPRO to know that this functionality was removed. I use the Bushnell XGC+ which does offer some features that I never use. I just use the hole overview where you can see hazards, etc and get distances to everything. I think it would really slow me down if I was trying to track each shot but to each their own if they can/want to do that and it does not impact pace of play.

John, I would not call it insignificant, but I would call it time taking. I would also call it more gadget like and not something that at the truest sense helps too many golfers. Just my opinion of course, but with this thing in hand, I find it fast, accurate and full of features that make me crave to use it each time out. The video flyover is fantastic and it does it all without trying to charge me a yearly fee and threaten to brick the device if I stop paying it.

great info on this device JB.
i think the best thing about it is the no annual fees. i've never owned and actually rarely see these used around my area, but it just seems dated to charge fees for such a simple device. that and the video fly-over, as you mentioned, are definitely the best points.
i believe that a GPS device will be my next big golf purchase and i've always liked the looks of the Callway uPro's.

great review on the new device

but im upset they havent fixed the shot tracking yet
i still have my upro mx and have refused to upgrade the software due to the fact they removed the shot tracking
besides giving you distances to the pin... the one feature i wanted the most out of a gps is measuring distances off the tee
knowing how far your clubs go on the actual course helps me tremendously and actually speeds me up pace wise when i get some numbers in my head
it also gives me alot of perspective when guys on golf forums say "i drove one 700 yards into the wind uphill in the winter... all carry" (exaggeration)
i can brag with confirmation that i actually hit a drive as far as i say i did

Outstanding. Will be back in a few after reading

Edit: OK read the review. Looks like a nice product. And I thought Promode used to have a fee attached to it. Man I would love to give this a try to knock off my SGXw. Getting rid of an annual fee is a big bonus. Hey JB can you map something like a driving range?

Last edited:
John, I would not call it insignificant, but I would call it time taking. I would also call it more gadget like and not something that at the truest sense helps too many golfers. Just my opinion of course, but with this thing in hand, I find it fast, accurate and full of features that make me crave to use it each time out. The video flyover is fantastic and it does it all without trying to charge me a yearly fee and threaten to brick the device if I stop paying it.

Thanks for the response, JB. I can understand that if you already know your club distances well, shot tracking may not be that useful. I've been making changes to my swing that have improved distance on all my clubs, and I enjoy tracking that (used to be embarrassingly short, now just low end of average :smile-big:). Also, I was bothered that I just couldn't figure out why shot tracking was removed. Was it really taking up too much space on the device, adding too much weight (just kidding of course)? But even if not too many people were using it, why remove something that worked? Improve it in the future, sure, great, but keep what you've got.

Okay, enough of that rant. One thing I agree upon is the fantastic video flyover, and actual aerial photos. I have a Garmin G6, and I like it plenty, but the graphics don't compare to actual pictures. That is such a great feature that I could see myself getting the upro mx+ in the future if it gets all features working. But for at least the rest of this year, I have to give Callaway the cold shoulder, just to teach them a lesson!

Back