FootJoy XPS-1 with Boa Lacing System - THP Review

Interesting shoes and Im currently wearing some FJs, but I tried on some Lunar Controls the other day and I think Im picking some up soon, so comfortable.

I've got the XPS-1's with the BOA laces, had them for about a month and half. They are really great shoes. While at first the XPS-1s seems bulky, once you break them in they are as comfortable as can be. The BOA system is nice, what I like about it is that it seems to distribute pressure evening along the eyelets and therefore evenly across the top of your foot. That really stands out to me compared to standard laces where if you aren't totally diligent sometimes it ends up tighter around the top/ankle area.

The stability of these shoes is amazing as I had mentioned in a previous thread on them. It makes your footwork a no brainer. While I have been wearing my Lunar Ascends mostly for when I walk, I've had no problem walking 9 or 18 in the XPS's. They are really great.

Only downside I see to the BOA system is the potential for it to break down, but I understand that footjoy/boa has a pretty good warranty/replacement policy on the laces and knob should anything break.

How long of a break-in period was there for you, h0ss?

I grew up with FJ and for years I thought they were the only shoe to wear. I finally got a pair of Nikes and have never worn FJ again. I have to say that these look really nice though

How long of a break-in period was there for you, h0ss?

I'd say a couple of rounds and a couple of range sessions, which is about a week and a half for me. Admittedly they seemed stiff in the forefoot at first, but that went away very quickly. The memory foam in the heel section is amazing.

Pretty cool looking shoes. Cool to see the Cycling world cross over in to golf. My clip-in riding shoes have a similar design for the laces, and make them much easier to deal with than having the traditional laces. Interesting to hear your thoughts going forward on how this works for you on the golf course.

Pretty cool looking shoes. Cool to see the Cycling world cross over in to golf. My clip-in riding shoes have a similar design for the laces, and make them much easier to deal with than having the traditional laces. Interesting to hear your thoughts going forward on how this works for you on the golf course.

I am too. Just not sure that I am ever going to go for a traditional style shoe.

I used to be a big FK guy but their stop appealing to me. I'm not sure how I feel about that closure system. What happens when that track ball breaks? Do you get a new pair?
Snappy styling outside of that nub on the heel

I'd say a couple of rounds and a couple of range sessions, which is about a week and a half for me. Admittedly they seemed stiff in the forefoot at first, but that went away very quickly. The memory foam in the heel section is amazing.

Thanks for the info. They did seem a bit stiff out of the box, so I hope they loosen up quick! The last pair of FJ I had were good cart shoes, but I spent all day in them a couple times and they murdered my feet. Likely a sizing thing.

I used to be a big FK guy but their stop appealing to me. I'm not sure how I feel about that closure system. What happens when that track ball breaks? Do you get a new pair?
Snappy styling outside of that nub on the heel

The literature I received said the closure system was guaranteed for the life of the shoe.

The literature I received said the closure system was guaranteed for the life of the shoe.

Yea, and the entire BOA system is replaceable (I saw a video on youtube about it), so they would send you replacement parts, not new shoes.

I love the concept, but I hate that knob on the back. They could put that in the arch of the shoe with no problem. I think their designers need to get back to work.

The first time I saw this system I was very curious. One of Jakes family members at the 2011 outing had some FJ shoes with this feature. Looked so simple and he raved about it.

Still reminds me of the Reebok pumps.

--
Tapatalk2

I love the concept, but I hate that knob on the back. They could put that in the arch of the shoe with no problem. I think their designers need to get back to work.

I don't know about you but I don't care to have to reach to the bottom of my shoe when I want to tighten or loosen my shoes. I've never seen boa anything that had the knob anywhere but the heel.

Dang those are sweet! What's the price tag, $249?

MSRP is $270, but I'm assuming they will be less in stores/online.

I don't know about you but I don't care to have to reach to the bottom of my shoe when I want to tighten or loosen my shoes. I've never seen boa anything that had the knob anywhere but the heel.

That is a good point wake. It would not bother me on golf shoes as I am just on grass and not walking down nasty streets or anything. I still think they could make a more subtle tightening device.

It looks like a rocket nosel sticking out of the back of the shoe!

I've been intrigued by the Footjoys with the BOA laces since the first time I saw them. I definitely like the concept, but I'm not sold on the ginormous doorknob. I think if they could make it more sleek it would be much more popular.

I have had my eye on these for a while since they first were announced. They look great and I can't remember the last pair if FJ I owned its been years and years. I dunno if I'll spend the money on these but if they go on sale down the road I might snag a pair cheap. Looking forward to the reviews.

That is a good point wake. It would not bother me on golf shoes as I am just on grass and not walking down nasty streets or anything. I still think they could make a more subtle tightening device.

Its located on the heel because it needs to be there in order to cinch the laces around and within the ankle collar of the shoe.

Those look good except for that silly knob on the back. I've seen shoes with the Boa lacing system before and it really does work well. I wish they could make the knob a bit more discreet though.

The BOA system is a really nice system though the knob does tend to pop out on its own after awhile. I don't really know how much play I had in my FJs with the system before noticing the knob popping out as the majority of the time I owned them they spent in the Police Dept. evidence room (stupid thief, glad you went away for a long time). I don't remember the knob popping out before they were stolen but when I got them back I noticed it all the time. Also, I moved on to Adidas shoes while the FJs were in lock-up and liked the fit and feel of the Adidas much better than the FJ. The FJ shoes all seem too long to me (too much pointy toe I guess) and they also seem way to high off the ground compared to Adidas and now Nike.
I like that the BOA cinches around the ankle and I like the ease as you can tighten them really good for your swing and then loosen them up for the walk. I read that a lot of people who had problems with the system had a horrible time dealing with FJ to get them fixed though.

I look forward to reading this review to see how the system and shoes work for you.

That's good info, c_ault. Thanks for posting. I do agree that the pointier toe makes them look larger to me. I think the thing I'm most interested in aside from the Boa is the sole. It sort of protrudes on the outer portion of the foot. Curious if I'll notice any difference, good or bad, from that.

You can kind of see what I'm talking about in this picture where the writing is on the sole.

DSCN0909-L.jpg

Back