To chip or putt that is the question.

theninja

Reaction score
Handicap
slice
You are on the fringe 15 feet from the pin, do you chip or do you putt? I prefer to use a 7i off the fringe, but I am starting to try putting with mixed results. What works best for you?

I would generally putt from the fringe, but chip if I'm just off the fringe into the next cut.

Just depends on the amount of grass. If it's shaved I like to putt these days, but from 15 feet I'm guessing there's some heavy grass I won't want to putt through.

Edit: I re-read its from the fringe. Yea, I'd putt.

Texas wedge

depends on the condition. If it's nice close cut...putt...unless there's a big mound or something in front of me.

I use the alternate sweetspot wedge so I won't shank it like JB

Do to the fact that I can never shank again, I have no problems with shanking it over the green and thus I chip more

Unless there is a sprinkler head or something in the line, I'll putt it every time.

depends on lie, pin locale, and break but I could use a hybrid, 7i, or putter

This is an interesting question. I think it depends on the fringe. If it is Bermuda with the grain into you, you should chip that ish.

I actually got advice on this from Kris (LPGA player) when I played wit her at the Outing. I had a kind of an inbetweener on the edge of the green and I putted it. I asked her how she would have played it and she told me that she would have chipped it without question. She even said that she brought her 50º because, at the cart, she thought it was her ball and she was going to bump it up to the green.

I try to putt whenever possible.

Depends on the fringe. If there's a lot of it, or it's pretty shaggy, I'd likely chip over it. If it's pretty well trimmed up and not too rough, or if I don't have much green to work with, I'd much rather putt it. I try to convince myself to putt those more often than chip them. If you can reasonably putt it, you usually have a much better chance of getting it close to the hole.

From 15 feet, I'd putt. If it's 30 plus, I'll go 8i or 3hy, that way i can get the ball onto the surface and rolling. Entire goal is to guarantee at worst 1 more putt.

Depends on how closely mown the fringe is, is there a big slope in the way, how fast are the greens.

Most of the time I will chip with an 8 or 9 iron....if there is a big mound or hill I might go with PW or GW....if the lie is really good and the fringe is really nice then I misht putt it.

I prefer to putt when ever the option is available. Think about this, what do you consider a good putt from 15 feet? A foot or closer to the hole? What would you consider a good chip? 4 Feet or closer?

I'd putt it.....with my 9 iron. :)

Short chips absolutely kill me. Gotta go with a putter.

Assuming the fringe was in good shape, I'd putt from that distance. I'm really trying to stop chipping greenside. It's so freaking tempting, but usually not the best play for me.

Putting is always the first choice for me from the fringe. If it is more of a fairway running up to the green/false front situation there are other factors that might make me choose to chip.

Sometimes I might make a putting stroke with a hybrid, but as a general rule of thumb I like to get the ball rolling as soon as possible.

quick question. does any other grass have grain besides bermuda? I know Bent doesn't really, but I don't know about any other grass types that the fringe might be made of.

quick question. does any other grass have grain besides bermuda? I know Bent doesn't really, but I don't know about any other grass types that the fringe might be made of.

The grain is the direction the grass is growing (which way it is leaning). I don't think it is a condition of any particular kind of grass, since it's all going to lean one way or the other.

I'd usually chip it. If there's more than a foot of fringe between my ball and the green I have trouble feeling for how hard to hit it through the fringe I also practice my chipping religiously and I know how it's gonna roll out and have a chance to chip in. I know most people putt but I just feel more comfortable chipping it up there.

Chip

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on a few things: situation, difference between fringe and green, and the break. I usually end up putting it, but sometimes I chip.

Considering the accuracy of my wedges, I would get much better results putting. Its not a tough call for me as its either putt and get it close-ish, or chip and "hope for the best"!

Back