GrantD’s Golf Tec Fitting and Lesson Thread

GrantD

Formerly Known as DMB012
Reaction score
Handicap
I decided to throw a twist in to my game and sell my irons (R11) to see what players style irons were out there. I scheduled a Golf Tec fitting to let a professional give me their opinion on what clubs and shaft were best for me and my swing. I had this last Wednesday (6/6/2012), but have been waiting on numbers to come back. I will get to that more later.

I went in to the fitting a bit nervous about where it was going to go. I have had a formal driver fitting before with launch monitor, but not a formal iron fitting. I personally am very comfortable with my swing and its flaws too. HAHA

When I got there the instructor, Brad was outside and we headed in to check in. We went over my basic info and he asked some basic questions about my game. How long I have been playing? What tends to be my biggest miss? What do I want to do with my game in the long run? I then warmed up with a i20 he had there. He started to measure me after the warm up. I came up standard on the height part, but need a Mid-size grip due to my bigger hands. We then did some lie board testing to see how I was coming in to the ball. After about 5-10 shots off the board. He told me I needed to be between 1 - 2 degrees bend up. He continued to tell me this was because of my over the top swing. He showed me a few pro videos on how they come back flat on their swings. He also compared my swing to some pros. I can’t remember the pros names that he used.

We then moved on to some shaft testing. We used a Taylormade MC head for this testing in the beginning. We started with a Project X shaft. I am not sure which one at this point. I hit about 10-15 balls with this one. He then put a DG S300 shaft in. We saw a little bit better numbers with this one, but he wanted to try one more. We put the Project 5.5 Flighted shaft in. This one we really saw some great numbers. About a 23* launch with I think around 5500 backspin. I am not a 100% sure about these, but should have more numbers soon. Golf Tec is having trouble with their website and fittings being posted is the trouble. We did try two other heads after this with the Project X shaft. A Mizuno 53 and Mizuno 59. The 53 gave the best numbers, but did not beat out the MC head.

The conclusion to the shaft fitting was the Project X 5.5 Flighted in the Taylormade MC head was the best combo for me.

This moves us on to the next part the swing analyst. This was a pretty depressing part to my day. I was really comfortable with my swing going into the fitting and new I played a small fade. When I saw it on camera compared to perfect pro swings, it looked horrible. I most am struggling in two areas the most. I have a over the top swing, which I was averaging my side spin during my fitting around -1500. I also have almost no lag when I am hitting the ball. I release my hands way to early and I am loosing all my club head speed at impact. He said I could maybe increase my head speed by 10 mph. That would really increase my distances. It would take my 6 from about 160 to 175ish or more. This might even take me to a stiffer shaft.
In conclusion to the whole day, Brad said he really didn’t want to sell me a set of clubs at that time. He recommended doing a 10 lesson package to change my swing and increase head speed. After completing those, I would do another fitting for a shaft that would work for my swing. I have been debating on this for the past week and reading everybody’s Golf Tec stories on THP. I have decided to do the 10 lesson package starting in July-September. I hope this will help me get down on the ball more and get better contact. In September-October time, I am going to get fitted for a set through Golf Tec.

For now I found a set of irons off of Craigslist with Project X 5.5 Flighted shafts to get me by and to practice with. I will continue to update this tread as I go through the lessons as a journal and at the new fitting in September.

Really looking forward to reading about your swing improvement as you go through these lessons Grant. I bet you come out of this a lot better golfer than where you went in.

Good stuff Grant! Good luck with this process.

Don't let the video depress you dude. I wouldn't be surprised to see some big improvements come your way. Good luck!

Looking forward to hearing more Grant! Interesting that the MC head was the tops for you. Did you get to try them against those Cally's in your bag at all?

Don't let the video depress you dude. I wouldn't be surprised to see some big improvements come your way. Good luck!

It was pretty bad in slow mo. HAHA. I think this will help out a ton on the consistancy side of things.

Looking forward to hearing more Grant! Interesting that the MC head was the tops for you. Did you get to try them against those Cally's in your bag at all?

I didn't have them with me at that point. I hope to try those during my next fitting after lessons.

This is awesome Grant! I can't wait to see your progress even though it will mean beating me by an even wider margin on the course.

Good deal!! Spuds like they were interested in making sure everything was done right. Good luck with the lessons.

Great to read Grant.
I started with them back in March and no regret's.
Good Luck with your Lesson's.

Good luck! That's great he didn't just sell you clubs anyway.

Good read, I'm interested in finding out how this works out for you. It sounds like you're off to a good start.

Alright Grant! So the X Forged have the 5.5 Flighted? I think that's a good iron set for you dude.

Alright Grant! So the X Forged have the 5.5 Flighted? I think that's a good iron set for you dude.

They sure do. I just called today to set up my first 2 lessons. July 12 and July 23. I am stoked!

Sounds like you are making the right choice, good luck GrantD.

Thanks guys. I am really excited to learn how to create lag in my swing. I think it is going to help me out a ton.

This is good stuff Grant. Don't be so hard on yourself. From what I saw on our on Sunday at grand cypress, you have nothing to be ashamed of. We all make the same amateur mistakes. I can't wait to hear your progress.

Tappin' dat pad on tapatalk

Happy for ya Grant! You are on the right track for some awesome scores this summer :clapp:

Congrats Grant. It will be the best thing you've ever done for your game if you put the work in.

Great info. Will be fun to follow along with your progress.

Good luck Grant! I'm looking forward to reading your progress.

Good stuff Grant, at least they were honest with you. You'll be better off in the long run.

Congrats Grant, its a big investment but its worth it. I just finished with a 10 lesson package, and will probably do another package this fall.

I just had my first lesson with Golf Tec today. It was great. The pro Brad was very nice and really knew his stuff. I have been struggling with keeping lag in my swing. We worked on that today. Here are some before and after comparisons.

Before and After Top of Swing
1stBeforeAfterTopofSwing.jpg

Before and After Middle Lag
1stBeforeAfterMiddleLag.jpg

Before and After Back of Swing
1stBeforeAfterBackofSwing.jpg

Before and After At Impact
1stBeforeAfterImpact.jpg

I am going to work on some extended club drills for the next week to help keep lag. I also have a few other drills to help with lag in my swing. I think this is really going to help me get the correct loft out of my clubs. He compared me to both Tiger and Sergio. They had so much more lag than I do during my swing. As you can tell in my pictures, I almost waste all my energy before I even get to the ball. He said, because of that my 7 iron was like a PW in loft.

I have another lesson in two weeks after I get back from the beach. I am going to hit the range a few times while there to work on the lag drills.

Nice! While I haven't really been working on creating lag, I am working hard on a lot of the similar positions. Keep it up buddy!

Nice! While I haven't really been working on creating lag, I am working hard on a lot of the similar positions. Keep it up buddy!

Thanks dude. I think it is going to help me a ton.

Back