Bridgestone J40 Wedges

I hit some really nice shots with these wedges yesterday. Playing in a 5 man scramble it seems like we were 100 and in all day. With some good players in my group I could fire at the pins and the J40's did not disapoint. I hit a couple of shots that led to tap in birdies and the round really gave me the confidence to attack even the tightest pin locations. Basically everything was hop and stop. I think I missed one green all day and was just short with a tough front pin location.

So got my J40 out for it's first round at Stonewall Golf Club, in Lake Manassas VA this morning. First time there for me so I got in a lot of work around the greens. Didn't have a whole lot of luck with it on the practice range, but it was early and I was pretty stiff. Luckily, the on course performance was much better.

As I said, it was my first time there so I was very considerate of my distances on my approach shots. I did my best to play to a distance, which for me is usually 100-120. That's a bit outside of my range with a 56˚ unless I really step on one maybe. Anyways, never had to take a full swing with it once today. Nothing further than 20 yards.

I found it to be easy to hit out of the fairway and the rough. Since it was my first time out, I didn't really try any cute stuff like flops or anything and just stuck to the basics. Performance was just what I had hoped for. On longer shots, it cuts through the rough very easily. Off the fairway, my results were also very much acceptable. As I get more familiar with it, I think I'll be able to get a little more aggressive with it and get more of a hop & stop kind of shot. I played for a bit of roll out today.. No skulls, no hosel rockets. Very admirable pitching performance.

Chipping was steady all day. Was concerned about gauging speed, but had no issues. Left a good number close to the hole. Greens were a bit devious today, so anything inside six feet was a gift. I was happy with it.

Sand. Good lord was there a lot of sand today. All the guys over in the ATV thread are raving about their sand performance. I'm not minimizing that, but I think that the J40 provides some serious competition out of the sand. I must have been in at least 8 green side bunkers (plus a couple of fairways, but who's counting :D). Let me say that Stonewall does a good job with the sand in their bunkers. It was nice to play out of maintained ones for a change. It did rain this morning, so the sand was wet. Especially in the bottom of the bunkers. Took me a while to get used to it on the front nine, however even with my mediocre attempts the J40 got me out and on the green. Not always in a prime spot, but on the dance floor. It all came together on the back nine though. Found my groove in the sand and put on a little show for my playing partners. Three sandy pars on the back. Two of which were tap ins. Missed a putt from ~8' for the fourth. Saw every bunker lie that's feasibly makable (for me) today. Uphill? Check. Downhill? Double Check. Fried Egg? Check. Took a square stance and hit it to the back of the green. :banghead:

Anyways if you can't tell, I'm a little excited about it. Sand performance alone justifies a spot in the bag. As long as I don't find any issues in my next few rounds, I think we're going to get along just fine.

Some pictures of the wear after our first round.

20120714_142754.jpg

20120714_142721.jpg

The practice range was actually quite sandy which contributed to the wear a bit. That toe shot is the second or third practice shot I took, but those do happen from time to time. Was a little surprised by the wear, but I actually like it. Looks like it gets used.

Nice info JonD. Glad you two are getting along. It is nice hitting the ball into the bunker knowing you should be able to get it out no matter what lie you find yourself with.

That is some pretty harsh wear. Not sure how I feel about how quick they wear...

That is some pretty harsh wear. Not sure how I feel about how quick they wear...

They do wear quick! I have some pics at home I'll have to share. I don't mind it at all. It does show my hosel wear a bit too quick though haha.

Other than the wear, easily the softest wedges I've hit and I'm really digging the turf interaction when the hosel doesn't come into play.

Jon, whats up witht hat lone ball mark way out on the ole toe? LOL, just kidding buddy!!!

Thank you for that writeup, for some strange reason I find really myself drawn to these and daydream of a rusty J40. I really need to find one to try out.

Nice info JonD. Glad you two are getting along. It is nice hitting the ball into the bunker knowing you should be able to get it out no matter what lie you find yourself with.

Thanks! I've always been a spotty bunker player. I hope that what I was able to do today continues. It was certainly a confidence builder.

I can certainly understand. I'm the opposite. I like the worn look and will dig the rust when it comes in. Don't think the satin finish will wear as bad. Definitely worth checking out.

Jon, whats up witht hat lone ball mark way out on the ole toe? LOL, just kidding buddy!!!

Thank you for that writeup, for some strange reason I find really myself drawn to these and daydream of a rusty J40. I really need to find one to try out.

What can I say man? Stuff happens. :alien:

I felt the same way. So far I'm happy with the choice. There are decent deals to be had on the bay if you're patient. I couldn't find anywhere to hit one, so I took a chance.

Jon: great writeup man! Glad to see solid performance out of the gate.

I will be honest, my home course does not have much sand at all so I have limited experience with that but your feedback makes me glad I have these in the bag.

Jon: great writeup man! Glad to see solid performance out of the gate.

I will be honest, my home course does not have much sand at all so I have limited experience with that but your feedback makes me glad I have these in the bag.

Thanks. Yeah, my home course has bunkers, but not so much sand. :bulgy-eyes: They're working on it, but it's made me used to having to pick a lot of shots. Didn't take me too long to adjust. Grab a spot in the practice bunker at the MC and put in some time. I'm sure you'll be good to go.

I just remembered that I keep telling you guys how sweet the black oxide wedges look with the PX 5.5 graphite shaft. I figured I show you. They are sessy!
46c200d2-e8fb-66d8.jpg
46c200d2-e933-38f2.jpg
46c200d2-e951-500e.jpg

Fear the Sober Frog!! Amphibians can Tapatalk

Man..those do look good bf

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

That does look good bullfrog, very good actually. Wouldn't mind giving them a go a time or two during thursdays round.

You fellas have me in a tight spot, I love my wedges but I want 2 of these wedges.

--
Tapatalk2

BF I think they look pretty sharp with those graphite shafts.

They look great frogger. Looking forward to seeing them in person.

the black one looks naice :)

They are like 50 cal with a scope on it. Man they throw the ball up in the air nicely! Nice high flight with the 54* going like 105 for me. The 58* gets me 90ish yards. Just perfect. I've said that I like taking half swings with my wedges. These are really easy to control and can get my distance pretty close with a little roll out. On full shots I seem. To get 2-4 ft of roll out. Bridgestone has winners in every category in these wedges!

I received permission from the boss and just ordered a 58* J40 to start. If I like it I want to get a flat black shaft for it from Vibrant and do the same to a 54* to complete the set. :)

I received permission from the boss and just ordered a 58* J40 to start. If I like it I want to get a flat black shaft for it from Vibrant and do the same to a 54* to complete the set. :)

Congrats. I bet paired with a black shaft it would look amazing.

Played a bit in the rain yesterday and didn't wipe the clubs off. A little rust is starting to show already and I am am pretty darn excited about it.

Played a bit in the rain yesterday and didn't wipe the clubs off. A little rust is starting to show already and I am am pretty darn excited about it.
I love a good rusted wedge. Had I been willing to be more patient, I would have had the Black Oxide myself, but I wanted them quicker and went with the satin/chrome.

I love a good rusted wedge. Had I been willing to be more patient, I would have had the Black Oxide myself, but I wanted them quicker and went with the satin/chrome.

You really can't go wrong with either finish. Heck I went with both.

You really can't go wrong with either finish. Heck I went with both.

Haha, that's right, you did. I've had rusted wedges for a while, so a change in finish want that big of deal.

Coke or CLR bath wouldn't have sped up the process? Heck, even a little dip in the Gulf of Mexico would have sped up the process

So got my J40 out for it's first round at Stonewall Golf Club, in Lake Manassas VA this morning. First time there for me so I got in a lot of work around the greens. Didn't have a whole lot of luck with it on the practice range, but it was early and I was pretty stiff. Luckily, the on course performance was much better.

As I said, it was my first time there so I was very considerate of my distances on my approach shots. I did my best to play to a distance, which for me is usually 100-120. That's a bit outside of my range with a 56˚ unless I really step on one maybe. Anyways, never had to take a full swing with it once today. Nothing further than 20 yards.

I found it to be easy to hit out of the fairway and the rough. Since it was my first time out, I didn't really try any cute stuff like flops or anything and just stuck to the basics. Performance was just what I had hoped for. On longer shots, it cuts through the rough very easily. Off the fairway, my results were also very much acceptable. As I get more familiar with it, I think I'll be able to get a little more aggressive with it and get more of a hop & stop kind of shot. I played for a bit of roll out today.. No skulls, no hosel rockets. Very admirable pitching performance.

Chipping was steady all day. Was concerned about gauging speed, but had no issues. Left a good number close to the hole. Greens were a bit devious today, so anything inside six feet was a gift. I was happy with it.

Sand. Good lord was there a lot of sand today. All the guys over in the ATV thread are raving about their sand performance. I'm not minimizing that, but I think that the J40 provides some serious competition out of the sand. I must have been in at least 8 green side bunkers (plus a couple of fairways, but who's counting :D). Let me say that Stonewall does a good job with the sand in their bunkers. It was nice to play out of maintained ones for a change. It did rain this morning, so the sand was wet. Especially in the bottom of the bunkers. Took me a while to get used to it on the front nine, however even with my mediocre attempts the J40 got me out and on the green. Not always in a prime spot, but on the dance floor. It all came together on the back nine though. Found my groove in the sand and put on a little show for my playing partners. Three sandy pars on the back. Two of which were tap ins. Missed a putt from ~8' for the fourth. Saw every bunker lie that's feasibly makable (for me) today. Uphill? Check. Downhill? Double Check. Fried Egg? Check. Took a square stance and hit it to the back of the green. :banghead:

Anyways if you can't tell, I'm a little excited about it. Sand performance alone justifies a spot in the bag. As long as I don't find any issues in my next few rounds, I think we're going to get along just fine.

Some pictures of the wear after our first round.

20120714_142754.jpg

20120714_142721.jpg

The practice range was actually quite sandy which contributed to the wear a bit. That toe shot is the second or third practice shot I took, but those do happen from time to time. Was a little surprised by the wear, but I actually like it. Looks like it gets used.

Bit off topic but do you know James Thompson? He is a friend mine that belongs to stonewall.

Coke or CLR bath wouldn't have sped up the process? Heck, even a little dip in the Gulf of Mexico would have sped up the process
You misread what I was saying. The Black Oxide would have taken longer to get to me (read; mid August), the Chrome/Satin will be here on Monday. So, I wasnt patient enough to wait on the black oxide.

Back