Suggest a few putters

Kurt

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm buying a mate of mine a putter for his 30th birthday and need some suggestions. I'm not really tuned in with putters as I am with other clubs. My mate has just gotten into golf and is pretty hooked. He's assembling a pretty nice bag and a good putter will go a long way.

I'll take him along to get fitted (hopefully) but wouldn't mind a few ideas before we go down. The piece of crap that he is using now is actually offset and the poor guy has been compensating for it with his stroke (very weird I know).

He loves anything TaylorMade so I'm sure we'll have a look at those as well. They seem to cop a bit of abuse from TMag haters for reason.

Thanks heaps!

Lots of posts disappeared from this thread...

Metal X DART.

I say take him to a golf shop and guide him to the putter section. Have him try out lots of putters until he finds one he likes and then surprise him by telling him you are getting it for him for his birthday.

I say take him to a golf shop and guide him to the putter section. Have him try out lots of putters until he finds one he likes and then surprise him by telling him you are getting it for him for his birthday.

Agreed. Putters are very personal. I know he is pretty new, but if it looks right, feels right it will be pretty good.

Yeah lots of things to look at. Mostly head shape and then the face (insert, milled). All about trying a lot of them out.

We had lots of suggestions in here...LOL

Any of the Odyssey Metal X line would be great, they are really good putters and the price is very reasonable.

I'll second the Metal X line. Great putters at that price.

Is money a factor? If not, get a scotty. I love mine, and it could easily be the putter that lasts the rest of my life..(not saying money isnt a factor for me, it is.)

Is money a factor? If not, get a scotty. I love mine, and it could easily be the putter that lasts the rest of my life..(not saying money isnt a factor for me, it is.)

Or a SeeMore, I have a SC but I always use the SeeMore now.

Some of the new Never Compromise putters are quite nice. I've heard Cleveland Classic putters are among the best values in golf. I also hit a SeeMore putter for the first time yesterday at the store and really liked it.

Just remember a putter does not have to cost big bucks to be good and make putts. Lots of low price options out there.

SeeMore is where its at!

Lots of posts disappeared from this thread...

Metal X DART.

Yes very strange. I was just about to go back re-read some opinions.

That's what I intend to do......I agree that choosing a putter is very personnel and he really needs to try several to see the differences in feel etc. plus everyone has a different putting stroke which is a major factor in the selection process.

Well I would suggest the Taylormade Spider Ghost, I have one and I love to use it, the pure roll insert really helps the ball roll and it feels nice a soft off the face. I also bought a YES Marilyn putter as a back up but have yet switched the spider ghost back in since the YES is really nice

bY the way I got the YES for $49

Just remember a putter does not have to cost big bucks to be good and make putts. Lots of low price options out there.

I agree mate. We'll definitely consider everything.

Ping Anser Milled... If you are like me and can't afford a Scotty Cameron! :bulgy-eyes:

I was all set to by a Cameron Newport, but kept going back to the Cleveland Classic. They really are great putters at shockingly low cost for the quality. So for once I didn't buy the expensive option and months later I'm still in love with it.

Not telling you this to suggest a selection. Telling the story because it is easy to think your cheeping out on the gift. But you wouldn't be. If he actually likes one, don't feel that way. They are truly excellent putters.

Metal -X, Seemore, or a Scotty.

I personally have the Nike Method Core 1i and love it (after going from a weird, screwed up putter like your friend has). So maybe give one of them a try too. If you want more info let me know or PM me.

BDG

I second the recommendations for Metal-X and SeeMore options

How good of a pal is he?

For something like a 30th birthday, I'd say something like a Sunset Beach, 350Milled, or Tom Slighter (or similar) smaller production semi-custom putter. Find a head shape he likes (like a Ping Anser or Anser 2), and then order him a putter with custom stamping and paintfill.

Even if he ultimately decides he wants something different, you've given him a conversation piece that will stay with him forever, even if it's his living room putter.

I've done this for both my wife and my father for significant events or birthdays, and both of them have said it meant more than getting them one off the shelf (of course, they may be protecting my fragile ego. )

Is be remiss if I didn't suggest a Seemore, they can fit him over the phone and net with a video and lifetime service to help him be the best he can be at putting.

I can't say this enough....Taylormade Ghost Spider....Taylormade Ghost Spider....Taylormade Ghost Spider....Taylormade Ghost Spider....Taylormade Ghost Spider....Taylormade Ghost Spider....Taylormade Ghost Spider....Taylormade Ghost Spider....Taylormade Ghost Spider.

If you were to recieve a putter as a sentimental gift would you want just a putter off the rack like this or would you want a nice special botique putter like a bettinardi. Think about that. A botique putter would make such a nicer gift.
I can't say this enough....Taylormade Ghost Spider....Taylormade Ghost Spider....Taylormade Ghost Spider....Taylormade Ghost Spider....Taylormade Ghost Spider....Taylormade Ghost Spider....Taylormade Ghost Spider....Taylormade Ghost Spider....Taylormade Ghost Spider.

I bought a spider... wish I would of got the Manta right now though.

Back