SCOR System Review - Forum Testing

I'm sorry and thanks:act-up:

No problemo. Its a good little writeup, and one I read before I got my Eidolon's. I really believe in the V-Sole.

I am also very intrigued in these. When I get more money I am going to do the 30 day trial, I'll probably love them so much I'll have to buy them! a 54 and a 58 would be perfect. I just wish they weren't so expensive.

I just received my first SCOR wedge on Tuesday and have some thoughts / observations so far.

My current Vokey 56* is my wedge for everything from 115 and in. That includes all pitch, chip and finesse shots.

The first thing I did Tuesday night was take it to the practice green. I proceeded to hit every shot I have in my repertoire. I was able to work this ball amazingly well. I saw spin on the greens that I never get with my current wedge. I thoroughly enjoyed practicing that evening.

Wednesday I took it to the course with me for 18 holes. Again, this wedge was simply amazing for touch shots around the green. I hit 3 full shots and the ball flew true. The trajectory seemed a little higher than my current wedge, but nothing that made me think it wouldn't be a gamer. One thing I did notice is that I was taking quite a divot on my full shots. I wasn't hitting fat, it just felt a little heavy going through the ball / turf. My normal full wedge shots take small thin divots if any at all.

Thursday evening I wanted to work on my pitching. By this I mean hitting at targets from 50-100 yards. Shots that are less than a full swing but still need to get up in the air. I took two clubs down to the range with me, my Vokey and my SCOR. I warmed up by hitting some 3/4 and 1/2 shots with my Vokey to make sure I was in my groove. Then I stepped up with my SCOR and took my first swing. I wound up digging a HUGE trench with my first shot. I'm thinking, "Ok, I just need to get used to the slightly different weight / sole". I hit three more balls all with the same result. HUGE divots. Just to clarify, the shots were not fat by any means. Not only was I taking large divots, but the same back swing produced a significantly shorter ball flight. Anywhere from 10-20 yards shorter.

Over the next hour I alternated between hitting 4 balls with my Vokey and 4 balls with the SCOR. The Vokey performed as expected while the SCOR continued to tear up the turf. It looked like I had intentionally vandalized the range when I finally decided to call it a night. I couldn't seem to get the desired contact and distance I was used to with the SCOR at all.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any suggestions for a cleaner shot?

I feel like the SCOR is well ahead of the Vokey around the greens but I can't for the life of me hit a 1/2 - 3/4 shot with it. This would be a huge deal breaker for me.

I will continue testing throughout the weekend to see if I can find something that works for me and report back.

what bounce did you get with the SCOR? what bounce does your vokey have?...

what bounce did you get with the SCOR? what bounce does your vokey have?...

SCOR's do not have specific bounces for each loft. There is no option to specify bounce with them, similar to the J40's and ATV's with the variable sole.

True...I had a little bit of that when I first started with mine. Not to your level I don't think by the sound of it. I moved the ball around in my stance a little until I found that a couple inches back worked best and I'm on the lowest marker on the grip. I will play that shot shot with both the 54 & 58 and it's a thing of beauty! Don't give up, they are my favorite two clubs in my bag!

Skim alert.

When did SCOR start using the same type grip as the atv's? Just got a new SCOR yesterday and may need to regrip my old ones now. Really love the longer non-tapered grip.

formerly butters35

I actually talked to my pro about what was going on this weekend.

He had nothing but good things to say about the SCOR wedge itself.

He did say that the leading edge may be a little too sharp for me and my swing which is leading to the very deep divots.

I don't feel confident hitting the ball like that. And as we all know, confidence is huge in golf.

After reading 151 pages of this thread, I'm happy to say I phoned Scor Golf and talked to the great people there and made a order for a 53 & 57* Wedges! I'm super pumped to get them :D

Thanks to all the great testers from THP, You all did a great job!

After reading 151 pages of this thread, I'm happy to say I phoned Scor Golf and talked to the great people there and made a order for a 53 & 57* Wedges! I'm super pumped to get them :D

Thanks to all the great testers from THP, You all did a great job!

Congrats DB...I think you'll really enjoy these.

I followed this thread from the very beginning and pulled the trigger a few months ago on the 50, 55, 60 with steel Genius 12 firm shafts. I play the r11 irons with the standard steel KBS stiff shaft. When I got the Scor's I did not have the r11 AW. After a few rounds, I realized I wanted my AW to match my irons (it was just a better fit for me). The 50 was a solid club but I use my AW primarily on full shots and felt more comfortable with the r11 AW. My 55 and 60 Scor's are still in the bag and are great from 100 yards in. I love the v sole on these wedges. I have a lot of confidence I can hit any shot and know I'm going to make solid contact. The 60 has become my go to club around the green in bunkers and for flop shots. My bunker play has never been good but with the v sole I feel more confident in making solid contact and getting it on the green with a chance at a sand save. Overall, I would say these are the best wedges I've ever hit and thanks to THP for introducing me to these clubs.

Well, with the three day loss on the boards my post here was wiped out, it was a heart felt one so let me see what I can recall in Jman non-novella form.

After the i20 testing going back to my SCOR's really have been like going home. Comfortable and I know what they can do and will do for me on the course in different situations. I'm enamored by the V-Sole just as much today as I was the day I got my Eidolon's. In fact, they do say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and that is what we seem to be seeing now on the wedge front. Out of curiosity I took a demo of one of those "big name" ones in particular out onto the course in a 58 head to head with my SCOR 47 and the V-Sole just flat out works better for me and where I play. I'll defend that fact forever. The other wedge was nice and it shows the concept has validity and works, just not like the SCOR's for me.

The real point of the post I had in here though was just about the company. I bought my Eidolon's in December of last year when they started closing them out to make way for SCOR, I fell for the V-Sole and with more about them on THP I emailed in asking about the SCOR 45* to replace my then 2.0 PW. The reply i got back was from Beau and I proceeded to pelt about 10 or so more emails off of him, he answered all of my questions and NOT as a salesman but just honestly about the product and becoming a better golfer. So, I nabbed the 45* a few days after. I managed to get it on course (yes, in January, it was great) and fell even more for the SCOR's than I had the Eidolon's. From there it was back to back-and-forth with Beau about lofts and what exactly I wanted out of my wedge game, soon after I bought the 49/53/57 to go with my 45.

Fast forward to this week, out of nowhere I got an email from Beau simply asking how life was and how my game was without focus on the wedges. Just honest care about an average golfer, this is the kind of CS that makes me want to rep a brand forever. Add to that I got to meet Shawn in Austin for the Texas outing and even though the i20 wedges were in the bag we had a nice little chat just about golf and equipment in general, the man even helped me fix why I was struggling with my hybrids! This all comes back to me that its a company of just flat out good people that just care. Yes, they have a product they rep and believe in, but they care about us average golfers as well. It just blows me away, and its another reason I shall not stray from my SCOR's, they flat out work for me AND the company that is behind them is first class.

Sorry for the long windedness, but once I get going...watch out.

Nice post Jman. I'm beginning to feel the same way about the Eidonons that you did. At first I thought I couldn't handle the 50* and carried both my Ci11 GW and the Eidolon but the past 4 rounds I've had all 3 in play. Some of my best shots are with the 50! It works so well and the 55 is money out of the sand. I may drop the 60 and carry 2 SW's as I really like the wide sole Wishon a lot especially out of the rough.

Pity the fool who Tapalks

Well, with the three day loss on the boards my post here was wiped out, it was a heart felt one so let me see what I can recall in Jman non-novella form.

Hard to believe, but I think you did better this time!

I am considering giving these ago after reading through this entire thread. I did the scorfit on their website and then almost immediately got an email from Beau saying to give him a call.

I haven't yet only cause I don't have the $$$ to purchase what I want. I am considering giving only 1 a go at this point.

Nice post jman. You hit the nail on the head about SCOR CS.
They def. know how to do business and they absolutely care about the player/customer.
I'm still gaming the 55*and 60* and feel very confident when I stand over the ball and attempt to put that sucker in the cup with the chip.

Just got home from my fishing trip down on Vancouver Island (15 Halibut, 14 Coho, 9 Spring, 1 Red Snapper & 4 Ling Cod) But got home and had a box from SCOR!! Super stoked to put these in play so hopefully tomorrow night i can see the performance of these bad boys. They look absolutely beautiful, one of the best looking wedges i have seen and at address they look just as good! But i was a little upset i had a 40$ charge for shipping as i was told i wouldn't get it and half my "5" on the 57 paint was off.. So that kinda bugged me that it wasn't due to play but thats how i got it :/

But overall I'm super excited to put these in play:) I'll report back on how i like them

Just got home from my fishing trip down on Vancouver Island (15 Halibut, 14 Coho, 9 Spring, 1 Red Snapper & 4 Ling Cod) But got home and had a box from SCOR!! Super stoked to put these in play so hopefully tomorrow night i can see the performance of these bad boys. They look absolutely beautiful, one of the best looking wedges i have seen and at address they look just as good! But i was a little upset i had a 40$ charge for shipping as i was told i wouldn't get it and half my "5" on the 57 paint was off.. So that kinda bugged me that it wasn't due to play but thats how i got it :/

But overall I'm super excited to put these in play:) I'll report back on how i like them

DB - If you're not satisfied, I would urge you to contact SCOR to discuss the issues. Everyone who has dealt with them has had a great experience, and they take customer service very seriously, but mistakes do happen. I'm sure they will fix any issues.

I was just poking around on the SCOR site trying to see if they were shipping the lefties yet (sadly, no). But the good news is they now have a GENIUS 10 lightweight steel shaft as an option. It matches up with players who are using the KBS Tour 90 shafts in their irons and want to continue the lighter weight steel shafts in their wedges. That's excellent news!

DB - If you're not satisfied, I would urge you to contact SCOR to discuss the issues. Everyone who has dealt with them has had a great experience, and they take customer service very seriously, but mistakes do happen. I'm sure they will fix any issues.

From reading this thread and personally talking to them I know they are great people, I was just expressing that little disappointment. Though! Overall I am a very happy camper.

Great article I got in an email

[h=1]Ballooning Short Iron and Wedge Shots[/h]
One of the most common “flaws” I see in amateur golfers is that they hit their high lofted scoring clubs – short irons and wedges – too high. This prevents consistent distance control and doesn’t do much for your accuracy, either. I spent Sunday afternoon watching the LPGA ladies play the Evian in France, and was wow’-ed by how accurate they hit their approach shots – at least those in the final few groups. But to a lady, none of them were trying to “pound” their approach shots with lots of power. All they did was knock flags down hole after hole.
This topic is inspired today by a question I received from a reader, who asked:
If I ever need a full wedge shot, it seems that the ball just balloons. I hit it further with a hold-off shot. Is this due to poor technique or the fact that the wedges are S-300s, when all my other clubs are X-flex?
Well, you hit the nail on the head when you realized that you hit the ball further with a “hold-off” shot. The fact is that we are fed a constant stream of drivel from the golf magazines, television announcers, etc. that pound us with the idea that the key is to hit it further. Well, I contend that they are completely wrong, at least when it comes to your irons, specifically your high loft scoring clubs – those from the 8-iron on down to the wedges. Please hear me out and think about this.
When you are in scoring range, it really doesn’t matter what iron you hit . . . only where you hit it. But because we are all being pounded with this distance talk, almost every golfer I meet is trying to hit their irons and wedges further than they should. Besides reducing your consistency of solid contact, a harder swing makes it more difficult to stay “ahead of the club” through impact, so the clubhead passes the hands, adding loft to the face. Even though it’s traveling faster, this launches the ball much higher and your distance consistency just isn’t there. Does that sound familiar?
But think about all those occasions when you’ve tried to “just hit it smooth” with a short iron or wedge? You will often find that you make very solid contact, the ball leaves the club on a great (re: lower) trajectory and possibly even flies longer than you expected. Well, that “easy” swing is really what your “full” swings should be like with your scoring clubs!
When you put a wedge or short iron in your hand, your singular goal is to hit the ball the very precise distance it needs to travel to get close to the flag. These four or five clubs are for accuracy and scoring – you have a whole bag full of clubs for distance. So, the real secret to a good short iron and wedge game is the ability to hit each of these clubs a certain distance reliably – every time! And a big part of that process is learning to hit the ball on the same trajectory each time with these scoring clubs. The more fluid and controlled swing you make, the easier it becomes to do just that.
Next time you go to the range or play a round of golf, try hitting “one more club” on all your approach shots. If you are 125 yards and you would normally reach for a 9-iron, pull the 8. Don’t think about distance, but focus on making a nice smooth move down and through impact, with the left side leading all the way. Because you are not trying to hit it hard, you will naturally lighten your grip, your muscles will be more relaxed, and your consistency of impact will be much improved. I’ll bet you a dollar to a donut that you’ll see a lower ball flight, and much more consistent distance control.
Once you see that better shotmaking with your scoring clubs comes from this controlled shorter swing, you can re-adjust your thinking about what a “full” swing is with the scoring clubs, and you will hit many more greens with your wedges and short irons . . . and your scores will improve dramatically.
Disagree... going to give this a try? Let me know what you think or how it works out for you.
Best regards,
tk-sig.jpg

Terry Koehler
Aka “The Wedge Guy”

Damnit OneT you beat me to it! That's an excellent article and I love that they sent it out.

after an absolutely fantastic discussion with Beau on the phone from SCOR, i have (on it's way, due to arrive friday!) a 55* wedge to try out for 30 days. I can't wait to hit it (got it with +.5" long, 2* up, 2 wraps of tape, KBS Genius S+) and see if i can't get a 3 or even a 4 wedge deal if these work for me...so stoked to see what all this talk is about...hey, try a wedge for 30 days for essentially 20 bucks? why not!?

Just used my Scor Wedges with the KBS Tour Wedge Shafts tonight, I did about 30 mins of practice before my 9 holes. And I was really struggling at first as my distance with my xFT's and Scors were way off. The biggest difference was my xFT's went really high and would hit then roll 4-8 feet. And the Scors go really low and hit and stick right away so that was really hard to get use to. But about the 3rd hole i realized i could hit the pin and it would back spin and stop right there. I have never had back spin on a wedge in my life and every single hole i had it today.

On the 4th hole i was around 77 yards out so i wanted to try my 53, I had a nice easy swing and connected very nice with the ball it has great hight on full shots and i hit 2 feet away from the hole. It had one bounce forward about half a foot then you could see the back spin and it just stopped, Tap in for birdie. On the next hole I chose to hit my 6 iron when i really should have used my 5i so i came up 9 feet short from the hole just behind a hill. My only shot was a flop, which i was pretty nervous about as i haven't practiced it more then 5 minutes of flops with this club. I hit my target 3 feet in-front of the hole and it hit and stopped with a little back spin to save Par. I'm starting to feel the most confident I have ever felt with a wedge in my hands and feel i can go after the pin every shot with these clubs. I just need to really get use of my short finesse shots going so low and i had a few of my wedge shots go a little right but thats all going to happen with new clubs and i think after another few rounds there going to become a part of me. :) I'm really happy right now, And if anyone is ever looking for any help with spin i would really suggest these clubs with the KBS Shafts

Thanks Scor

(sorry i rambled i had a few wobble pops and i'm pretty excited right now)

Back