Red Bull Stratos Event

Impressive landing as well

He couldn't have fallen another 20 seconds? Come on, man.

Kevin

I think his chutes were designed to deploy automatically.

I think his chutes were designed to deploy automatically.

They said if he was in a tumble, they would. Otherwise, I thought it was up to him.

That was crazy! Congrats to Felix on a successful jump and safe landing!

Balls of steel. No question.

I do believe he broke the sound barrier.

That was too fricking cool!

And back to our everyday lives....

729 mph? Good Lord that's quick.

Wow. That was crazy. Totally awesome though.

that was absolutely incredible to watch live! Can't wait to see the documentary the BBC is producing.

he did in fact break the sound barrier, at that altitude the barrier is ~690ish, so at the 730 or so that they showed him, he'd have done it.

729 mph is about 40 mph short of the sound barrier iirc.

729 mph is about 40 mph short of the sound barrier iirc.

Speed of sound varies with altitude and temperature.

Look at me sounding all expert.

I need to watch a replay of this.

That was freaking awesome. I'm glad I caught it. I woke up thinking I'd missed it and he was still climbing. Dude's got some serious balls that's for sure. I was tripping when you could see him in a spin there for a bit. Can't imagine the nerve he had to have to pull out of that. Glad he pulled it off safely.

They said if he was in a tumble, they would. Otherwise, I thought it was up to him.

i thought for the first 30 seconds or so he was.. he was spinning in circles like crazy that was sketchy for a while till he got stablized.

I think the shot where he stands outside the capsule, he says his stuff, and then jumps, all while we see the earth from space, will be ingrained in my mind forever. It was pretty spectacular.

I think the shot where he stands outside the capsule, he says his stuff, and then jumps, all while we see the earth from space, will be ingrained in my mind forever. It was pretty spectacular.

This^^^^^^^^^ Heck I was as nervous or more so than he probably was :bulgy-eyes:

He actually went a "little" faster than 743mph according to the post conference. The camera feed cut out and the audio went and all we saw was mission control right before Felix started spinning. Felix actually went 373 m/s, or 1,342.8 KPH, or 833.9 MPH.

This video took forever to track down but I'm so glad I could find it. It was pretty awesome to hear him describe some feelings and what he was going through. I especially like the quote right before he jumped. It's pretty powerful.

This was amazing to watch.

There was a breaking news tweet reporting this (knew he's been trying to get off the ground for a while), and just as I clicked it he was standing up and jumped within 10 seconds. It was very fun to watch. I love that he stuck the landing.

Back