Taking Your Medicine?

I saw this on #18 at Pipestone Sunday, playing to a number at its finest
Well, that's the shot that made me rethink what I do on the course. Try to get it through a tight spot? Oops, theres a tree and now I am 100 yards backwards.

Well, that's the shot that made me rethink what I do on the course. Try to get it through a tight spot? Oops, theres a tree and now I am 100 yards backwards.

My problem on these punch out shots is that it somes is the only time I make crisp solid contact on the center of the club face and all of a sudden my 5I shoots up like a 9I and I always hit some sort of branch

I know one thing.. Sharkwrestler would go for it!!!

64E0060A-0DAE-4149-B255-9AA4A40CE784-1854-000001C95BA49C5E.jpg

For me, it depends on the day. I'll say one thing though; I am more inclined to go for it from behind a tree than I am from 250 out on a par 5.

I have to say pitch and take the 150...but I do risk it some times, I'd rather risk under the trees than over them.

But..pw + 150.

I often find the two options above to be in direct conflict with each other.

Meaning that if i can go one way or the other and that's a 100% chance of getting out, that's not an aggressive play. But of i can advance the ball 40yards up the fairway and i have 65-75% chance of pulling off that shoot that's a more aggressive play but a safer play than trying to get all the way to the green.

If I feel comfortable with the gap and the shot, then I try and get it as close as I can to the green and save par. Yes, it might bring bogey into play but it's worth it if I'm playing well.

This is right up my alley!! I ALWAYS try and split the trees (usually with good result since I'm so used to it!), I grab my hybrid, choke down, think "head down," practice swing, and run it right up there!

I take my medicine and punch out, it's the safest play.

I'll shoot the gap, though not with the intention of hitting the green. I'd be happy with pitching it on from wherever it ends up.

Depends on the gap and if I have to worry about keeping it low. If it's a small gap and I have to keep low, I'm better off punching out. If it's just a matter of there's something in the way but I can make a full swing, I'll go for it. Also determining factor: how close I am to the object that has the gap. Hitting a tree dead on and having the ball fly back at you is terrifying. It's more terrifying when you use a longer iron that has more speed on it than say a wedge.

I play pretty aggressively so almost always I'll try to get it through the gap. I like to take a hybrid or low lofted iron and punch it through.

I'd rather punch it out and then hit my 7 iron confidently into the green. It's the easiest thing for me.

I don't have woods in my area though

Pitch out. Would hate to get hit where it hurts most from the ball bouncing off a tree straight back and then not in condition to finish playing.

I want to say that I would punch out every time, but that's not exactly true . . .

Shots like this is why i shoot 85 instead of 80 , I have learned my lesson toooo many times , so in my NEW ways I would have to chip it out and hope for par .

If the low burner shot involves a draw or hook, I would be much more likely to attempt it. I can hit a burner cut or slice, but it is much harder to keep low and therefore far less reliable. If water is a possibilty the chip/punch out is far more likely, but I would prefer to be in a greenside bunker most times to a 150 iron shot from the fairway, if bunkers are the only hazard in play. OB in reach also makes the chip out much more likely.

I am known for taking my medicine..if it is potentially the best round ever...I go balls to the wall. But if its just a good round, I will take my medicine...hope for a bogey

This would be my exact response.

For me, it depends on the day. I'll say one thing though; I am more inclined to go for it from behind a tree than I am from 250 out on a par 5.
This is a no brainer...if a full swing you go around with a big hook or slice (hook easier for me)

I'll shoot the gap, though not with the intention of hitting the green. I'd be happy with pitching it on from wherever it ends up.

If I have no chance at the green, I'll always go sideways; it's just not worth the risk if there's no big reward.

Pitch out for sure. It's one of the tougher decisions to mentally commit to buy it is the smart play.

Tapatalking on my iPhone!

Pitch the ball out to a good distance and take it to the house. I like the percentage better with the sure shot.

Go for it. Then curse myself for being stupid when I am hitting number 3 from the trees.

I wound up with a double on #9. I didn't have a lights out round going finished with a 88.
Now if I had something closer to a PB the best shot is to get out of trouble and get close to the pin to save par.

Pitch out. I hit a ton of 150 yard easy 7 irons at the range per week. I would feel comfortable trying to get it up and down and I know that I would make bogey at worse

Back