Miyazaki B. Asha Review - Forum Testing

No rush man, enjoy your break while you have it. I look forward to it!

4 Man Scramble Charity Event
The Retreat, Cleburne, TX
Weather - Cloudy to party cloudy, 55-60 degrees, wind 10-15mph

Was invited to play in a scramble last week and was excited to put the Amp/B. Asha through a good driving workout in this formate. To sum up some previous outings with the B. Asha, I had started to draw the ball a bit more now with this setup and my misses were going left as well. A scramble is hard to really take the results that serious because I think I was trying to hit my driver harder than I've ever hit a golf ball off the tee. We were playing from the whites and most par 4's measured out about 300-330 yards from those tees. It was get close to the green or go home sort of golf. I was swinging for the fences. Well, started off poorly and snapped the 1st drive left. Great next drive with a slight draw. Snapped left again on the next 2 drives and finished the 9 our with a straight bomb or another snap left. Finished 2 of 6 in drives on the front.

Back was a little of the same. A pull hook here and a bomb on the next. Just real inconsistent as a whole. Finished 4 of 7 for a grand total of 6 of 13. Blahhh. The real issue I have now is that I can not longer pull out my cut shot when I need it. It's either straight, a slight draw or a pull on my drives. The good news is that the right side of the course is just about taken out of the equation on the tee box. The bad news the left side isn't and that is new to me.

I've talked about it some in my previous posts but I think for the most part this lies with my downswing and attach angle I take into my drives. In the past I've been use to a bit of "lag" in the driver heads which helps create that little cut shot. I really do think this is the main cause of what is going on. The frustrating part is that when I warm up on the range I hit them great! But then again, isn't that always the case when you take pressure out of the game of golf.

Not packing it up yet as I want to see what happens when I put the JDL shaft in but looks like it's back to the range for me coming up soon. Playing a round of golf with TexasHacker on Wednesday and will report those findings soon...........Hit 'em straight everyone!

Spoiler
Intro: Click Here
B. Asha Arrival: Click Here
Simulator Testing Part 1: Click Here
Simulator Testing part 2: Click Here
On Course Round 1: Click Here
Driving Range Session 1: Click Here
On Course Round 2: Click Here
On Course Round 3&4: Click Here
2 Man Scrabmle: Click Here

I spent some time on the range today before my round and focused on swinging the B. Asha. Earlier I had mentioned seeing a little higher ball flight, well I got that somewhat corrected today. It is still a little higher than my Black, as it should be, but not by much. Today I was seeing a much more penetrating flight, it wasn't rising as quick and I perceived more hang time. On the range everything was coming down around the 240 island, I was floating golf balls so take that yardage with a grain of salt.

Out on the course I wasn't able to hit driver as often as normal since the threesome I was with played the up tee. I didn't want to be the jerk that holds everyone by playing a different tee. 7 out 10 fairways and no major misses, the worst was a lower pull that screamed up the left side, plenty long and still left me with a good look at the green.

My preferred ball is an easy fade that starts left and falls back to the fairway, I'm seeing exactly that with this setup. It isn't a shot shape that's conducive to roll out but it is a fairway finder. I did catch one out on the toe but I can happily say I did feel that dreaded shudder of the shaft as the head twisted in my hands. Distance didn't suffer much and ended up just off the fairway.

So far so good, I love the feel of this shaft and I really feel it minimizes misses effectively.

SW: Nice to see that you experience the same additional height on the B.Asha from the Kusala black, as I did as well. Great to hear it's reducing misses as well!!

I've got some exciting changes and new plans for the B.Asha coming up in the next week. I believe I am going to be able to offer a new perspective after a couple changes, so stay tuned!

I spent some time on the range today before my round and focused on swinging the B. Asha. Earlier I had mentioned seeing a little higher ball flight, well I got that somewhat corrected today. It is still a little higher than my Black, as it should be, but not by much. Today I was seeing a much more penetrating flight, it wasn't rising as quick and I perceived more hang time. On the range everything was coming down around the 240 island, I was floating golf balls so take that yardage with a grain of salt.

Out on the course I wasn't able to hit driver as often as normal since the threesome I was with played the up tee. I didn't want to be the jerk that holds everyone by playing a different tee. 7 out 10 fairways and no major misses, the worst was a lower pull that screamed up the left side, plenty long and still left me with a good look at the green.

My preferred ball is an easy fade that starts left and falls back to the fairway, I'm seeing exactly that with this setup. It isn't a shot shape that's conducive to roll out but it is a fairway finder. I did catch one out on the toe but I can happily say I did feel that dreaded shudder of the shaft as the head twisted in my hands. Distance didn't suffer much and ended up just off the fairway.

So far so good, I love the feel of this shaft and I really feel it minimizes misses effectively.

Dude I love that you love the feel of this shaft. That is huge for me - maybe number 1

SW: Nice to see that you experience the same additional height on the B.Asha from the Kusala black, as I did as well. Great to hear it's reducing misses as well!!

I've got some exciting changes and new plans for the B.Asha coming up in the next week. I believe I am going to be able to offer a new perspective after a couple changes, so stay tuned!

I can't wait to hear what you're going to do dude!

So, with the White-Tie review on-going right now I've not been able to hit the B.Asha but a couple of times since that started and really haven't had anything to chime in with. I played a round with Jesse (JJMorris) yesterday though since he was down here in the Sooner state and brought the 11.5/4x along for the ride. I actually started hitting both drivers a little way into the round to see them against each-other and to just remember the B.Asha. So, thoughts...

I still stand by hoping people don't underestimate the 4x because its only 49g's, it is STOUT, not a "noodle" like so many seem to think lightweight shafts will be. I know its been talked about but Jesse and I even talked about it on course and I felt it worth mentioning again.

Second, its fascinating to me that a difference the 11.5 head makes for me with this shaft compared to the 10.5 (I should learn to listen to JB, he mentioned an 11.5 being great for me when I was gaming the 10.5/5x in Iowa on the course). With the 10.5 I was getting what I now know to be a TRUE mid ball flight, it was as penetrating as can be as discussed in here by many with a ton of roll-out here in Oklahoma, but a true mid flight for me. Cue me grabbing the 11.5 Fit head and its night and day, the ball flight is ideal, a true mid-high like the shaft describes but to me leaning more high than mid. Jesse can vouch that there were some beautiful BOMBS hit with this combo yesterday, not just by roll like I was seeing initially when I got the B.Asha in, but rather by actually carry. Its been a struggle for me to realize in my game I don't hit the ball as high as I thought I did but I'm coming around to it, the 11.5/4x combo is a fun one for me because of that.

I'd love to hit a 5s or 4s just for comparisons sakes because to me the 4x is a different beast than I've seen, particularly compared to the X-flex C.Kua I used to game in my driver. This ball flight just goes on a rope for me the entire way where as I would lose the X C.Kua when it was in my driver. In the X I don't see the comparison to the Kua's like Mr. Gillis mentioned them being an evolution of, that's why I'd like to eventually hit the S's to see if maybe they are more similar for what I saw. One thing I can say, I think this is an extremely diverse shaft line with something for everyone.

Anywho, just some thoughts from me after getting back out with this one. This combo is a special one for me I think, or could be.

I have two solid range sessions with the B. Asha R11s combo now and I am impressed with how these two mate as a combo. I had some getting used to again, but after 15 or so balls I knew where I needed to tee this driver up at. I am still hitting the ball high, but I'm seeing a more penetrating flight than I was seeing with the Classic head. I'm not sure what the distance is right now as its getting cooler and the balls are not flying that far. I will tell you one thing though, this shaft is still on a string for me. It just goes where you want it too!

I did get a chance to mess with the loft and I like this shaft a lot at the 7.5-8* range & it was also cool to see the results at the 10*+ range. It just got way up there and it did balloon a little bit. Next week it will be raining so it will be the perfect time to jump on the launch monitor!

Got out and played 18 today. Didn't get a chance to hit the driver prior to the round so first shot was on the 1st tee. For the front side I played with the Attas Elements. I had a very good driving game on the front. Hit most of the fairways(didn't keep stats) and my ball flight was midhigh/high. Hit a couple of absolute bombs(or so I thought) and was quite happy. Get to the back and I switch out the shaft to the B Asha. I have said previously that I have seen boring mid flight balls from this at the range. Well on the course today I was seeing more of a midhigh flight. And good god did I hit some long ones. Accuracy was poor but not because of the shaft. I am working on playing a cut and with this shaft, I was not getting much movement. So I was missing to the left side due to the ball not cutting. I was seeing a lot of carry distance today and also quite a bit of roll. Did not have my GPS to take distance measurements but I would say I hit my longer drives with the B Asha.

On Course Round 5
Eldorado Country Club, McKinney, TX
Weather: Sunny, 75 degrees, wind 5-10mph (perfect day!)

Got to play a round with TexasHacker on Wednesday and was looking forward to the whole day of golf with the guy! Warmed up on the range and was hitting the Amp/B. Asha pretty well but still a few misses to the left. Once again, I pretty much used the driver on every par 4 and 5....even when I probably shouldn't have. I started out pulling the first 3 drives of the day. Errrr!!! They would pretty much start straight and draw just a tad too much for my liking, which would put me into trouble on the left side. Had an opening on 1 and 3 but had to pitch out on 2. I was playing for a cut on all 3. Not good for me. Hit a decent drive for my 4th attempt but hit the top of the ball and it was a low screamer that went pretty straight. Get to the 5th hole, par 5 and hit a pretty decent drive that actually had a bit of a cut on it but over cooked it into the hazard on the right side. FINALLY.....a drive with a cut on it!!! Most other golf courses that would have been a darn good drive. Finished the 8th and 9th with a pretty straight drive that hugged the right side of the fairway. Front 9 - 3 of 7 in fairways with some inconsistent drives.

Back 9 started out a bit better. Hit a good drive on 10 but once again over drew a bit and found myself behind a tree. Next hole was the best drive of the day for me. Hit my drive with just a slight cut on it. A nice mid high flight that I was use to seeing earlier on in testing. I turned to TexasHacker and said, "That was the one! That's what I've been trying to do all day!" Just took me getting to the 11th hole to do it. Oh well....on we went. Good drive on 13th but pulled my drive again on the 14th. Another good drive on the 15th but then finished very poorly with 2 drives that I lost to the right. Back 9 - 4 of 7 in fairways with again some inconsistent drives. Finished the round 7 of 14 in fairways which is pretty poor results from what I'm use to. I'm going to chalk up my last 2 drives to some adjustments I tried to make on the fly in trying to get my cut to come back. Didn't work.

This was one of my worst driving days since using the Amp/B. Asha combo together. Some went right. Some went left. Very few went straight. Very frustrating to say the least. I think I ended with an 85 and it should have probably been worse. But I had a great time with TexasHacker and we made the best of the day....a perfect weather day at that!

The last few rounds my drives have been getting worse and worse. That was not going to fly with me. I was getting frustrated with the Amp and I was getting frustrated with the shaft. I knew I had to do something to change things up and get back to what I was doing before. I still want to love this shaft. But something was missing and I needed to get out to the range as soon as I could to get something worked out.

That range session happened this afternoon and I am so looking forward to making my next post about this progress............

Previous B. Asha Testing:
Spoiler
2 Man Scramble: Click Here
4 Man Scramble: Click Here

Very odd, especially with your prowess with the big dog! Maybe tried a bit too hard?lol

I am excited to get her back out to the course this week for some more marathon's. One of these days I will kick it low at GVR! Looking forward to what seemed to be a light on at the range...

I didn't read through all the post so this may have been answered. Is anyone seeing any roll with their drives? If so, how much. I am not seeing any roll with mine, not sense Atlanta.

Will pay attention this week on the course. I have seen a good amount of roll lately, but never really focused on it. However, only since repositioning the ball in my stance and tee height change.

I didn't read through all the post so this may have been answered. Is anyone seeing any roll with their drives? If so, how much. I am not seeing any roll with mine, not sense Atlanta.

I'm still seeing quite a bit with the 4x, not as much as I was with the 10.5 head but still a pretty solid amount with the 11.5 just with more carry in the mix.

I'm seeing more rollout with this shaft than any other shaft I've ever hit. I can't say exactly how much but it is more than I was getting with the RIP Phenom throughout the summer. I will pay attention to this in future rounds to see if I can get some numbers in terms of how much rollout I am getting.

I'm seeing more rollout with this shaft than any other shaft I've ever hit. I can't say exactly how much but it is more than I was getting with the RIP Phenom throughout the summer. I will pay attention to this in future rounds to see if I can get some numbers in terms of how much rollout I am getting.

I'm still seeing quite a bit with the 4x, not as much as I was with the 10.5 head but still a pretty solid amount with the 11.5 just with more carry in the mix.

Will pay attention this week on the course. I have seen a good amount of roll lately, but never really focused on it. However, only since repositioning the ball in my stance and tee height change.

Im assuming this roll is coming from a mid ball? Just wondering, cuz the VRS with the B asha typically gives me great carry with very little roll...lately.

Im assuming this roll is coming from a mid ball? Just wondering, cuz the VRS with the B asha typically gives me great carry with very little roll...lately.

With the 11.5 I'm seeing a ball flight that is definitely on the high side of mid-high, with the 10.5 they were true mid-flight bullets with a crap ton of roll out at the end. Its fascinating what 1* of loft has done for my drives with this combo.

Freddie, that is hard for me to tell as I just can't see that far down the fairway.........:laughing:

I don't think I'm getting as much as I use to but it's also cause I'm hitting it a bit higher than my R11.

With the 11.5 I'm seeing a ball flight that is definitely on the high side of mid-high, with the 10.5 they were true mid-flight bullets with a crap ton of roll out at the end. Its fascinating what 1* of loft has done for my drives with this combo.
That's for getting back to me JMAN
Freddie, that is hard for me to tell as I just can't see that far down the fairway.........:laughing:

I don't think I'm getting as much as I use to but it's also cause I'm hitting it a bit higher than my R11.
. I. Figured as much since you launch the ball off its axis.

I would say mid-high with my 10.5, carried a ravine a bit out there twice the week before last and had plenty of roll out. I know what you mean with the VRS, would have put the shaft in that head had I not found the deal on the AMP. I can get a "must have permission" ball flight if I tee it up half ball even with the AMP.

EDIT: I'll try and get a video or two.

Driving Range Session 2
Eldorado Country Club, McKinney, TX
Weather: Sunny, 70 degrees, wind 10-15 mph

As I left off from my previous write-up from my round with TexasHacker, I was itching for a driving range session to see if I could get something figured out. I showed up yesterday (Sunday) and had blocked out a good 2 hours to spend on a few things I wanted to work on, the main item being the driver. I put the RIP stock shaft back in the bag as I was planning on switching it in and out with the B. Asha to see if something stood out to me. After warming up with some wedge and 9 iron shots I as ready to go. I thought about going straight to the RIP shaft first to see what would happen but settled on hitting about 10 shots first with the B. Asha to see if I could duplicate what I was doing wrong on the course. However, there was one thing I was going to do first that I had been sleeping on for the past few days and finally decided to do to see if it would help.

I didn't put the tee behind my ear or switch the change from one pocket to another however, what I did do was take the setting on the Amp from the Neutral setting to the Open setting. I've always liked my drivers to be slightly open at address. I didn't change this setting before because in theory, when switching the Amp from the N to the O it would decrease the loft 2 degrees. I have the 10.5 degree Amp in the N setting so was worried that lowering my loft would cause other issues. But I did it anyways cause at this point, what's the harm?! It did look better to me at address once it was changed and I don't know if that was a mental thing or that it really did just look better to the eye. I had no expectations what was about to happen from doing this. None. 10 balls were lined up no matter what shots I was about to produce. Shot number 1.....here we go.

A CUT!!! A CUT!!! Holy Cow a CUT!!! I could not believe my eyes! It was a blast from the past. A long lost friend that I hadn't seen in a long time. Maybe it was a fluke.....so shot number 2 here we go. Another CUT! Just a slight cut from left to right that landed perfect to my target line. Unreal?! Ball 3.....more of a straighter drive but it did not go left! Finished out the 10 balls and most of them had my familiar baby cut on them. The even better news for me was that my ball flight didn't seem to get much lower in putting the Amp in the open setting. Actually, seemed to be a bit more penetrating ball flight that I really enjoyed hitting. I was overjoyed to say the least. I hit another 10 with the same results. I did lose a couple right due to some bad swings but that is my normal miss that I know exactly what I do when that happens. After 20 balls I put the driver back in the bag and felt great! Now that is what I've been looking for with this combo! I went on to another issue I was trying to figure out with my irons and actually got that done fairly quickly. I took another look at the driver/B. Asha and thought "do I dare see if I can do it again?" Why mess with it right?! I took it out again. Another 20 balls. Another 15 or so drives with just a slight cut on them. Missed a few right again and hardly missed any to the left! And I was cranking them on the last 10! What a great feeling! I had blocked out 2 hours but was done in an hour. Mission Accomplished and I was headed out!

Conclusion: I set the Amp driver to the open setting with the B. Asha. My ball flight was a tad lower but nothing like what I thought it was going to be like. I was able to produce multiple cut shots with this setting; a ball flight that I'm very comfortable in playing. Next step will be to take this out onto the course. I was very excited and encouraged after this range session.

Previous B. Asha Testing:
Spoiler
2 Man Scramble: Click Here
4 Man Scramble: Click Here
On Course Round 5: Click Here

So, with the White-Tie review on-going right now I've not been able to hit the B.Asha but a couple of times since that started and really haven't had anything to chime in with. I played a round with Jesse (JJMorris) yesterday though since he was down here in the Sooner state and brought the 11.5/4x along for the ride. I actually started hitting both drivers a little way into the round to see them against each-other and to just remember the B.Asha. So, thoughts...

I still stand by hoping people don't underestimate the 4x because its only 49g's, it is STOUT, not a "noodle" like so many seem to think lightweight shafts will be. I know its been talked about but Jesse and I even talked about it on course and I felt it worth mentioning again.

Second, its fascinating to me that a difference the 11.5 head makes for me with this shaft compared to the 10.5 (I should learn to listen to JB, he mentioned an 11.5 being great for me when I was gaming the 10.5/5x in Iowa on the course). With the 10.5 I was getting what I now know to be a TRUE mid ball flight, it was as penetrating as can be as discussed in here by many with a ton of roll-out here in Oklahoma, but a true mid flight for me. Cue me grabbing the 11.5 Fit head and its night and day, the ball flight is ideal, a true mid-high like the shaft describes but to me leaning more high than mid. Jesse can vouch that there were some beautiful BOMBS hit with this combo yesterday, not just by roll like I was seeing initially when I got the B.Asha in, but rather by actually carry. Its been a struggle for me to realize in my game I don't hit the ball as high as I thought I did but I'm coming around to it, the 11.5/4x combo is a fun one for me because of that.

I'd love to hit a 5s or 4s just for comparisons sakes because to me the 4x is a different beast than I've seen, particularly compared to the X-flex C.Kua I used to game in my driver. This ball flight just goes on a rope for me the entire way where as I would lose the X C.Kua when it was in my driver. In the X I don't see the comparison to the Kua's like Mr. Gillis mentioned them being an evolution of, that's why I'd like to eventually hit the S's to see if maybe they are more similar for what I saw. One thing I can say, I think this is an extremely diverse shaft line with something for everyone.

Anywho, just some thoughts from me after getting back out with this one. This combo is a special one for me I think, or could be.

Dude, you redefined Internet Golfer with some of those strikes. That was awesome to watch.

I sound like a broken record with all these testing threads but I don't have much to add since I had less than stellar driver swing and didn't connect with any hitting the B. Ahsa (Which I know part of it was me trying to swing it too hard :banghead:)

The only roll I see Freddie is the ball coming back at me. I produce a lot of spin and this shaft doesn't help with eliminating it. It either drops and stops or drops and checks back some. I hate spinning back a drive.

I'll pay more attention next time out, but I believe I'm seeing moderate roll. More than the drivers I've previously played, but still not what I'd call a ton.

Back