Why wife (fiance) hold the key...

Me and my wife inform each other when we are going to do something. Very rarely do we ask unless it's a weekend away and even then it's usually I'm going (her quilting,scrap booking or girls trip) (me hunting, fishing). I do not golf on weekends unless it's a charity outing as I only get every other one off from work and we usually have something going on. I generally play during the week by myself or with one of a few buddies my brother or a family friend and have never been told that I couldn't go. The only time I have missed anything golf related was dinner at the Ohio event and that was do to a family function.

I think every relationship needs some apart time from each other. So that each half can do things on they enjoy with friends or family or by themselves. I also think that you shouldn't have to ask permission to do every little thing.

Hi Jules Verne here and wanted to say that my time machine really does work. I just saw a women barefoot and prego in the kitchen while her man chased wild game with a sharp stick...time travel is great

LOL. That's right folks he's wise and funny! I'd rep you if I wasn't already out for the day...

On topic, I agree with those that say it's a two way street. My wife isn't a lesser partner in our relationship, she's got half of it just like I do. I always ask, but it's more to make sure that I'm not missing something important. She actually encourages me to have hobbies like golf, and a life of my own for that matter. In return I try to do the same for her.

I know. Ole Gray was gone all day today and I was so sad and lonesome.

I really need to stay out of this thread. LOL

It's awesome, isn't it?

It's awesome, isn't it?

Haha
Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus! That will never change. I've read the book and it was a big help to me years ago.

Haha
Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus! That will never change. I've read the book and it was a big help to me years ago.

You're right, that was a good book. Boy, that was a long time ago that I read that one...

I don't view it as my wife having control. I view it as respecting the relationship and just running it up the tower. I can play when ever I want. But leaving her with both kids every weekend just makes me a bad husband and father. So out of respect to her and our relationship, I ask. It goes a long way plus it's the right thing to do, in my house anyway.
Exactly !!

Lynne and I have been married so long that both of us are retired, she just tells me when she wants me to set aside time so she is sure I have not planned any golf. As retirees she just assumes that I am playing golf that day if the weather permits. Works pretty well for us. I am heading to the links in a few minutes, see ya.

That is where we are now. In the early years it was a matter of obligations, I worked long hard hours and took care of home duties, kids events, and all the stuff a husband/father needs to do. So when I had the (rare) opportunity to play golf it was never a problem. Fishing was another story, leaving before daybreak and getting home after dark, I think she was glad I quit fishing and only played golf.

That is what retirement if for, to make up for all the golf you missed in the earlier years.

That is where we are now. In the early years it was a matter of obligations, I worked long hard hours and took care of home duties, kids events, and all the stuff a husband/father needs to do. So when I had the (rare) opportunity to play golf it was never a problem. Fishing was another story, leaving before daybreak and getting home after dark, I think she was glad I quit fishing and only played golf.

That is what retirement if for, to make up for all the golf you missed in the earlier years.

Sometimes us retired people have to tell ourselves to put the game on the shelf for a couple of days. The old bones just get wore out. One of the reasons KellyBo and I moved to this part of Georgia, is the abundance of nice golf courses in the area. It's something we both enjoy as a team and we play pretty much the same game score wise, so it really makes it interesting to say the least :D We eventually want to live on a nice golf course but that's still in the dream stage. We are pretty much living out our dream now, doing what we love to do and the weather is the determining factor these days.

Haha

Haven't read that book in over ten years. Might need to peer through it again and remember a pointer or two hehe

I don't view it as my wife having control. I view it as respecting the relationship and just running it up the tower. I can play when ever I want. But leaving her with both kids every weekend just makes me a bad husband and father. So out of respect to her and our relationship, I ask. It goes a long way plus it's the right thing to do, in my house anyway.

Agreed!!! I always ask and she always says yes. I never just on the spur of the moment decide to go play without giving her some notice. I consider myself to be a lucky man and as much as I love to play, I love her more than I love the game.

Agreed!!! I always ask and she always says yes. I never just on the spur of the moment decide to go play without giving her some notice. I consider myself to be a lucky man and as much as I love to play, I love her more than I love the game.
90% of the time I ask but there are times I send a text and let her know I am playing on the weekend. Most of golf is played during the week so a weekend, all day round is rare. It's never an issue. When she want to do her thing I never bat an eye. We have a great give and take. I give and she takes...I kid of course but we do us very well. And that is due to mutual respect.

I can't say that I ask, but I just let her know in advance if I am playing. I always check our calander and make sure we don't have any family functions going on. I play very little on the weekends because I like to spend time with the family and can't see spending 5-10 hours away from them every weekend.

I think I can understand where the original poster is coming from because I have a friend that is under this situation. If his wife has no plans and is going to be at home, he is not allowed to golf. If she is gone or has other plans, then he is free to golf. He has acutally cancelled rounds the day of golf because his wife's plans fell through. Now he has no children so they spend almost all of their free time together so I just don't understand.

I played 100+ rounds this year with 2 kids and not "telling my wife" how it is, I think I'll stick to that for the time being

No offense intended but I find it amazing that this many people are saying "Honey, can I play golf this weekend?". I get it if you have kids & might not be in tune with their calendars but if it's just the 2 of you chances are pretty good you would hear about any commitments your partner has made for you.

No offense intended but I find it amazing that this many people are saying "Honey, can I play golf this weekend?". I get it if you have kids & might not be in tune with their calendars but if it's just the 2 of you chances are pretty good you would hear about any commitments your partner has made for you.

I think you're reading too much into it. I don't know if it's really asking permission in the sense that there's the expectation the answer could be a no. Erica knows I golf and she knows I'm going to plan on golfing at least once on the weekend, just like I know shes going to want to go to the gym, get her nails done, or whatever else. We still extend each other the courtesy of asking if there's a time that would inconvenience the other peson for whatever reason. Just common courtesy. Niether of us is going to shoot the other one down.

It's just the two of us and I can assure you OG doesn't ever ask. It's just assumed he will play every day unless it's raining HARD or the course is closed. Example of what I said to him yesterday as he was leaving. "I may come out later and practice on the range. Have fun!" This is the advantage of both being retired and having a spouse who loves the game as much as you do. I feel sorry for those of you who love it as much as we do and have a spouse who hate that you play. I really do.

It's just the two of us and I can assure you OG doesn't ever ask. It's just assumed he will play every day unless it's raining HARD or the course is closed. Example of what I said to him yesterday as he was leaving. "I may come out later and practice on the range. Have fun!" This is the advantage of both being retired and having a spouse who loves the game as much as you do. I feel sorry for those of you who love it as much as we do and have a spouse who hate that you play. I really do.

Well I do take a couple of days off each week. Especially when I get a case of the shanks :bulgy-eyes:

I like what comedian ralphie may says "you can either be right, or you can be happy". My wife doesn't like golf at all but she doesn't mind me playing it either. Gotta find the balance.

WARNING RANT COMING!!!

Nevermind I erased it. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Choose to play golf when it suits the family not when it suits you and you'll be just fine. Giving herself plenty of notice when your gonna play helps

I couldn't have said it better, family first, work second and golf third, and as long as you're not golfing too much it'll be well received.

My wife and I have reached a good balance I think but it took a little while to figure out. It definitely causes some friction for us but if anything I as the golfer am the problem and I need to remember to put her first more often than I do. She just wants me to want to spend time with her, and then do it. I am grateful that she is supportive of my addiction, heck, she'll even suggest that "you should golf today" sometimes.

Just out of respect, I run it by Cheryl if I'm going to play on the weekend. A lot of times, if I'm not playing with my usual group I invite her along, and if by any chance I have forgotten something I promised her or we needed to do together she happily reminds me. Now, if I could just keep her from shopping when I'm golfing................

Wow. A lot of very different views and relationships. Vive la difference! My wife and I have a kind of rolling agreement. Saturday mornings are resolved for golf unless arranged otherwise by agreement. I'll try to get a mid week deal with work along the same lines, and range time in and around all the stuff life throws at you. There are times when I might look for two weekend rounds, and most of the time ill get them....

Got to be about balance hasn't it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Haha

.. Yeah, but did OldGray read it? (I read it).

Not married, though I might as well be, but I don't have this issue. Kelly and I don't bicker about finances, like so many couples do. As long as I am open and up front with what I am doing, it's no biggie. Now, if I jet off for multiple weekends and leave her covering the bills, than there are going to be problems and rightfully so. We talk about things and have fun when we want to have fun, whether it is together, or me golfing with my buddies. Not having kids certainly adds to the ease of everything.

Back