Would You Use A Chipper?

What makes you think the niblick would be more reliable? I don't often 'fat' a wedge outside of maybe extremely wet conditions.. Assuming it's a normal day of golf, what is the guarantee that the niblick is more reliable?

Per JB's post:

Would you use a Cleveland Niblick or chipper style club if it helped you hit certain shots or was more reliable than choosing a wedge or iron.

Devils advocate

Everyone keeps talking about versatility, what cant you do with the Niblicks? High shots, low shots, shots from deep rough, shots from thin rough, shots from fairways and shots from sand, all documented in the Niblick threads, what more can the wedge do that you cant do with these?

I imagine someone will say they need more loft on a 56* wedge, so if Cleveland comes out with a 60* Niblick that does everything above, what will be the reason not to get it now?

Can you open the loft on a niblick? I thought they had a flat, wide bottom. Can a 56* niblick be opened to 60* like a typical wedge can?

Devils advocate

Everyone keeps talking about versatility, what cant you do with the Niblicks? High shots, low shots, shots from deep rough, shots from thin rough, shots from fairways and shots from sand, all documented in the Niblick threads, what more can the wedge do that you cant do with these?

I imagine someone will say they need more loft on a 56* wedge, so if Cleveland comes out with a 60* Niblick that does everything above, what will be the reason not to get it now?

In my experience I couldn't do all of those things as well with a Niblick as I could with a wedge. Thicker sole I think was the cause of that.

Ive used them in the past and they do make chipping much easier. The only problem I have with them is that I dont like a club taking up a spot in my bag that is a 1 trick pony. Even in the case of the Niblick, what does that club do that I cant do with any other club? Not to mention, IMO, the Niblick is HIGHLY overpriced for what it is.
For me, no chipper. IMO, its just a band-aid to fix not being able to chip, so why not just learn how to chip instead of buying a crutch to lean on?

Funny, the sole of my Niblick is no wider than the TM ATV wedge...

Can you open the loft on a niblick? I thought they had a flat, wide bottom. Can a 56* niblick be opened to 60* like a typical wedge can?

I dont think so, the thicker sole might make that tough to do but I cant recall, seems like an eternity since Ive had them

But with them being heavier, I would think the ball will shoot up just high enough for peoples satisfaction

Per JB's post:

Would you use a Cleveland Niblick or chipper style club if it helped you hit certain shots or was more reliable than choosing a wedge or iron.

Well, if it's limited to 'more' reliable, then no. still no.

I've tried to play "more reliable" irons and they suck for my game. Worst decision I've made in quite some time.

...twice

I dont think so, the thicker sole might make that tough to do but I cant recall, seems like an eternity since Ive had them

Floppin' Niblicks!!! WHAAAAAAAAAT

You should bring them back dude. I'd be more inclined to watch you niblick vs chutt haha

I've hit a Niblick once in my entire life, it was from 120 yards and I hit the shot to about 6 feet. Never again have I touched one. (Smallville it was your's when we played Iron Horse in Omaha)

I'd never use a chipper thing, just because they look stupid.

I remember that, and I was about to post about it! It was a helluva shot!

Floppin' Niblicks!!! WHAAAAAAAAAT

You should bring them back dude. I'd be more inclined to watch you niblick vs chutt haha

I think they are in Europe somewhere

I remember that, and I was about to post about it! It was a helluva shot!
That was hilarious. You're like, hey hit this in place of your PW. Boom, 6 feet. I don't know why but I haven't hit one since. I should.

Off topic, that was a fun round! I miss that MO_Hacker guy!

I tried one for a bit, and didn't care for it. It was awful on bigger swings, and only a tad bit more consistent than a wedge. I should drag it out and give it another try.

I won't use one, I don't really need the help they give and if I can't use it to play in the city championship then I don't consider it. However, I have zero issues with high handicappers or a brand new to golf person using them to enjoy the game more.

I won't use one, I don't really need the help they give and if I can't use it to play in the city championship then I don't consider it. However, I have zero issues with high handicappers or a brand new to golf person using them to enjoy the game more.

Why couldn't you use one in the city championship?

Jman is a 6 and has been known to rock one, you got a problem with him? lol

Niblicks arent illegal.

Jman is a 6 and has been known to rock one, you got a problem with him? lol

He obviously doesn't count. He's a no-one.

I'm putting this back in the bag now permanently. Boom.

Sometimes its just that easy!

Nice! Genuinely curious to see some feedback on the Niblick again. Thanks to War Eagle, I will be gaming a 49* here pretty soon - really interested to see how it works for me within 40 yards and even out on some full shots. I have been needing a 110 club.

I guess I'm in the minority that I really and truly don't consider the Niblick a chipper as its a full swing club too, I consider something this a chipper:

I450_big.jpg

I'm with JMan on this one. There are chippers and then there is the Niblick. The latter is a different club.

Ironically, searching for information about chippers was the way that I found the THP. I'd just gotten back into golf after a 10 year layoff and my short game was awful. I picked up an old Northwestern 2 sided chipper and started putting with it and things quickly improved. Knowing that it was illegal, I was searching for the loft of it, so I could figure out which club to use in its place and I found THP. The loft was more like a 4 iron than a 7-8 iron, so I was trying to figure out what hybrid I could use to do the same thing.

I also briefly tried a "legal" chipper that was effectively a sloped mallet putter. It did the job, but wasn't versatile and had weird turf interaction. That was a wasted club. So, to answer the original question, I wouldn't game a dedicated chipper.

Upon finding THP and these topics, I read all the Niblick threads. I now own all four of the 2010 Niblicks (37, 42, 49 and 56). I do not believe they are a wasted club and think they're entirely different from a chipper. You can make full shots, pitch shots and chip shots and can really scramble with them. They're not a one trick pony.

Each one does have strengths though:
- 37: best chipper around the green. Super easy to use, and I've holed about a half dozen out this summer alone. Great for courses with slower greens. Just use it like a putter if you're within about 8 feet of the green.
- 42: similar in chipping to the 37, but with less run out. Better for courses with fast greens or if you are 10 feet or so off.
- 49: best all around mix. This one is so good, that I have no need for an approach wedge out of a set. This is the oldest and most permanent club in my bag.
- 56: surprisingly easy out of the sand. I'm inconsistent with it on full shots, but if you can hit them they stop on a dime.

My one flaw with the Niblick is that I sometimes struggle with it on full strokes, particularly on a weird lie. I don't know if it is that the club is so upright, or that there's the long back flange or that the shaft is shorter, or what, but I am a bit inconsistent on the course on full shots. I've had some fantastic ones (holed out from 80 yards with my 49) and then I've had some nasty ones (especially with the 56).

I've tried gaming the 37 in place of a 9 iron and that really didn't work for long shots. I'm now going to try to use the 42 in lieu of the pitching wedge. If that works, I'll just chip exclusively with the 42.

If that doesn't work, then I'll look at dropping something in the top of the badge, going with the 9 iron/PW from my set and then adding the 37 in as a chipper/utility club. I think the 37 is a good enough stroke saver that it is worth carrying even if it does seem a little redundant loft wise.

One last comment about the Niblicks are that they changed drastically between 2010 and 2011. While I know the 2010s have the non-conforming groves, I think they're the better model.

Nice! Genuinely curious to see some feedback on the Niblick again. Thanks to War Eagle, I will be gaming a 49* here pretty soon - really interested to see how it works for me within 40 yards and even out on some full shots. I have been needing a 110 club.

When you get it and start messing with it, let me know dude.

That was some great feedback ryebread, thanks for the breakdown!

I think you will love this, 49* IMO was the best all around one made, solid on full shots, half shots and still had some bite on greenside chips

Good info ryebread.

Not if it takes up slot in my 14 club repertoire. More practice with the wedges. The wedges with the different lofts make it more versatile for me at least.

Back