Which do you prefer; stroke play or Match Play?

Which do you prefer; stroke play or Match Play?

• Total voters
Does Match play favor one type of player over another? Some say its the great equalizer of formats. Meaning a mid hdcp has a shot against a low or a high against a mid. Aren't you still playing the course? Or are you more playing the opponent in this format?

I definitely agree with this. The people I am playing against are better golfers than me when it comes to handicap and scoring average but with match play style, I am more relaxed. Take my round yesterday as an example, stroke wise I was beaten by over 10 shots, match play we were dead even after 18. Total different game.

I prefer to play match play against friends and family because then its all about hole for hole competition. In that situation you can always make that big shot attempt because if you blow it and you dont clear that water or whatnot you only lose the one hole. If you have a blow up hole in stroke play you can cost yourself everything. I think if you are playing to show who is the best overall player you have to stay with stroke play but if you want to pump your chest and say look i made that shot better then you stay with match play.

Love to play match play. It really is a lot of fun and brings into play a lot more aspects of the game.

If I am watching golf I would rather see a stroke play match but I do enjoy the occasional match play like the Accenture.

When your opponent is of similar handicap, it favors greens and fairways. Scramblers can't hold up IMO

TTing

Lol, I think greens and fairways are favorable in most events. I love match play but play a bunch of both. When playing a higher handicap it make you go after birdies. Giving somebody a stroke a hole can wear you out when you string a bunch a pars together and find your self down a couple.

When your opponent is of similar handicap, it favors greens and fairways. Scramblers can't hold up IMO

TTing
But isn't par just par. The card does show how you got there. Make one or two birds and you should be ok? No?

I like watching stroke play, probably cause that's what we are accustomed to seeing more times than not.

I prefer to play match play, doesn't cripple you for a noisily home like stroke play does

I like to play match play if its for something important. But if its just me and my buddies playing, I like to play stroke then. I sort of like the feeling of coming back from behind. I usually start out slow but then gain momentum.

It is stroke play for me, I have never played match play so I perfer that with which I am more familiar.

We have two Match Play tournaments each year at our clug--one individual, one partners. I enjoy those two, but prefer the stroke play tournaments as a rule.

Prefer to watch the PGA pro's in stroke play, I do really enjoy the Ryder Cup but that's about it, seems like more of a special event with matches as a part of it.

Prefer to play stroke play by far. Play the ball down, and hole out. But I do like to do one or two organized singles match play tournaments a year, with a ladder to advance, etc. I dislike the weekend type four ball matches. It irks me as most guys never putt out unless you force them to, then comment later on they shot a "87" -- no you didn't! You picked up on five holes! It bugs me when guys are placing the flag back in the hole before I have holed out, even if the hole has been decided I want to try to hole the putt.

I also dislike how there are some rules differences in match and stroke play. Maybe there needs to be, but I'm not educated on why if that is the reason.

The one group that I play with where we do four ball, which is once or maybe twice a month, it used to be fun, because we always holed out (unless somebody was just having a fiasco). It was more like a stroke play better ball. But there is a new addition to the group, who will often just pick up and say he's "taking a double", and do lots of giving putts, and other things that I am not used to, so maybe my dislike of it has to do with those experiences.

I voted for stroke play based on, that is all I've played thus far. But like match play also, to play it would be good too.

I enjoy watching match play more.

I haven't gotten much opportunity to play in match play tournaments though.

I enjoy stroke play, but it seems like it's always ruined by the guy with a 17-handicap that turns in a gross 80.

I like both but REALLY enjoy a team four ball.

I like being part of a team (8 players) playing in four four ball matches. I like the face to face competition along with the aspect of cheering and being supported by a partner.

Match play, all day.

The 2013 golf season has officially started and most events will be stroke play events with the Accenture Match play in a few weeks. I am wondering which style of tournament everyone prefers. More than that, which do you prefer to play and why?

I prefer, in this order, Stableford format, stroke play or match play equally, four-ball stroke play, four-ball match play, foursome match play. The only format I really dislike is any form of scramble.

Variety is good. My favorite golf trips involve several formats.

If I am playing opponents of equal ability I prefer stroke play, if playing someone better or worse, then match play.

I have always enjoyed match play. It is a "mono y mono" type of thing which is fun to watch. There is mental games played (giving or not giving putts etc.) but to me there is an added element. In stroke play you are playing the course, each individual hole. In match play you play the hole but your opponents situation can dictate how you play that hole. You may play it the same in 3 matches but a scenerio comes up in the 4th match and you have to play it completely different. I love the mental aspect that comes into play with match play.

I like stroke play most of the time but prefer match play in fundraising tournaments.

I prefer to watch and play stroke play.... But like watching the few match play events each year. It's a nice way to change things up.

Well in terms of competition, I like match play. At my level, I still have a few blow up holes per round. Match play helps in keeping those holes as just one bad hole instead of ruining a round

I'm a match play guy. Love the hole-by-hole emphasis and the fact that you're rarely ever out of a hole.

Last edited:
Matchplay, for both playing and watching

Match play. Love the additional aspect of playing against your opponent and the different pressures involved.

Prefer to watch stroke play but play match play.

I love match play. Changes the whole dynamic of the game when you are put in a position of having to respond to a great shot by your opponent, or can just play it safe should your opponent make a mistake. Plus, as others have said, my blowup holes don't kill me... well, except in qualifying. :banghead:

Back