TaylorMade R1 Driver Preview

Thanks Oregon golfer. Yes I thought the feel was great! The total distance was great for swing speed,launch and spin numbers I thought. I went back and hit my ping before I left to make sure that nothing changed and the numbers were the same. I had 4 shots go between 300 and 304.

Went to golf plus yesterday morning to hit and figure out which shaft I wanted in the callaway xtreme. Hated it!! Never would of guessed that.Nick ask me if I have hit the r1 tp yet,I sad no.He handed me the r1 tp with the aldila 65 phenom in it. Just a side note I'm not a taylormade fan tried taylormade clubs in 2011 didn't care for them.after the first 3 shots I loved the feel and sound. Graphics did seem to help me with alignment.My numbers were really really good compared to the xtreme and my ping g20.The only trouble I had was I had to choke down on it,to long!! My ping is only 44.75 long.My ping numbers were 104 swing speed,13 launch 2900 spin avg 265ish. With the r1 it was 106 swing speed,14 launch, 1900 spin with a 285ish avg??? Nick said the range balls were Qstars which don't spin much as a premium ball? How much more spin do u think ill get with a b330rx? He said it was set on 8.75,2 closed,didn't see we're weights were. I ordered it to play to 44.75 u think I need to have more spin? If so what adjustments would you make to help with spin and not change launch?Smash factor was between 146 to 150

Changing balls can influence spin without a doubt, but you are going to want more than 200 or so i would think. I am definitely assuming that 285 number was total distance rather than carry distance.

I've started pondering this. It's basically just a hawkponder since I can't afford one and won't be able to for a long time. Either way, the idea of a higher-lofted driver has intrigued me for quite some time and seeing as most companies don't offer a high lofted driver in LH, this one is intriguing. This and the AMP Cell.

Had one of the driver heads in hand today. The graphics while I don't like them didn't really bother me. Can't believe i am saying this but I want one

Had one of the driver heads in hand today. The graphics while I don't like them didn't really bother me. Can't believe i am saying this but I want one
I greatly prefer the graphics to the stark white of the R11/S

My initial thoughts on this club were not to great. I still am not super thrilled with it, but the tech behind it and how easy it is to change loft and face angle have me intrigued and probably giving this a try. Would have been cool to get to test it but I will just have to give it a try on my own.

Changing balls can influence spin without a doubt, but you are going to want more than 200 or so i would think. I am definitely assuming that 285 number was total distance rather than carry distance.
Yes jb that was total. I dont remeber what the carry number was? I was hoping i could put the driver on 9 degree's( i think it was on 8.5) and try my b330rx and get it around 2400 and stay around 14 on the launch. Im a member at a link course. The balls i was hitting were qstars i play b330 and b330rx u think i will get 300 or 400 hundred more spin with these? Im having taylormade leave swing wieght at d4 and take .75 off butt of shaft

Brian gay seems to be liking the new driver.

I dislike you TM! Went in to find a couple more things and the guy who sold me my VRs clubs handed me the R1 with the TP in stiff. Oh my...do not pick one up and hit it :banghead:

Edit: Out of my price range though and would for sure take off the white on top front and flat black it.

LtEvO TaPpEd

Last edited:
I sure am liking the sound of this thing on TV. Seems like the guys playing it are absolutely killing the ball.

2/3 to start the year? Looks like this thing is on fire!!

In the immortal words of Meatloaf, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

With those kinds do results I'm thinking the graphics on the crown can be overlooked by many

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how the graphics help with alignment. I think I'm going to like it!

Make that 2 wins today for the R1. John Cook just won the Champions tour event

Make that 2 wins today for the R1. John Cook just won the Champions tour event

The guys at TM have to be laughing. All these guys in final pairings and playoffs picking up wins and TV coverage.

Frost had one in the bag as well, I think? Big times for TM for sure.

All the talk about the graphics and alignment is pretty interesting. It's not occured to me once to do that. I know they've mentioned it as a benefit, but I always just use the face. I do like the black against the white for that.

Frost had one in the bag as well, I think? Big times for TM for sure.

All the talk about the graphics and alignment is pretty interesting. It's not occured to me once to do that. I know they've mentioned it as a benefit, but I always just use the face. I do like the black against the white for that.

That is one thing that makes me want to hit this. I use alignment aides to set up my hands. This could be very beneficial

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but the graphics on the crown are marketing genius. I now find myself staring at the club heads while watching golf on TV to see who is playing the R1.

I've re-read the preview and pics for the R1. Really, really looking forward to trying it out. The aesthetics are certainly getting mixed reviews, but the general consensus of those who have tried it is that it is a beast.

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but the graphics on the crown are marketing genius. I now find myself staring at the club heads while watching golf on TV to see who is playing the R1.

I've re-read the preview and pics for the R1. Really, really looking forward to trying it out. The aesthetics are certainly getting mixed reviews, but the general consensus of those who have tried it is that it is a beast.

No doubt. It's quite noticeable on TV and makes it impossible not to know what they are playing.

Interesting tweet from @charlietour:

@CharlieTour: Stats Matter: @DJohnsonPGA ranked first in driving distance w/ R1 in win at HToC. @BrianGayPGA ranked second in accuracy in win at Humana.

Back