2013 Whitlam CU-1 Putter - THP Preview

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Well, yesterday we welcomed here in Oklahoma a box from THP HQ containing on of my favorite things in the world....A PUTTER!

In for review is the new 2013 Whitlam CU-1 putter. You may recall that we did a review late 2012 about Whitlam/Gauge's "Little Dog" and ultra limited 8802 style, so I knew exactly what quality I would see when I opened the box. The thing is, even after opening the package up and rolling it around something didn't click with me all the way until I started taking pictures and planning to get this thread up.

The "CU" in the name obviously stands for copper, in fact, to my initial thoughts it was plated copper when in fact the CU-1 is a mid-mallet of SOLID copper.

The CU-1 is a rounded mid-mallet design with nice step-downs on the heel and toe side of the cavity that frame the ball really well from my initial Tour Links time rolling it last night. This particular CU-1 comes with a double-bend shaft leaving minimal toe hang (as you will see below) but also comes in a center shafted model (awesome) and even better yet, they do/can-do BOTH shaft styles of this head in LEFT HAND.

The putter has a nice 355g head-weight which is impressive for the natural tendency of solid copper putters to come in a little heftier and also a loft of 3.5*.

So, without further ado, some pictures!

Headcover:

DSC_0692-L.jpg

DSC_0693-L.jpg

DSC_0694-L.jpg

Grip:

DSC_0689-L.jpg

DSC_0690-L.jpg

DSC_0691-L.jpg

Putter:

DSC_0669-L.jpg

DSC_0670-L.jpg

DSC_0671-L.jpg

DSC_0674-L.jpg

DSC_0677-L.jpg

DSC_0679-L.jpg

DSC_0685-L.jpg

DSC_0686-L.jpg

DSC_0680-L.jpg

Toe Hang:
DSC_0688-L.jpg

I'll be sure to get some with ball at address pic's soon! Also, if there are any questions and such, PLEASE feel free to ask them and I'll do all I can to answer or get you all answers!

Wow, was I ever wrong on what I thought the THP box may have been.

This thing is absolutely stunning. Going to have to Google search the brand, never heard of it until now.

• Staff
  • Staff
Thanks Jman.

After checking out their site, I had to pick up my jaw.

Some are positively gorgeous, some of the full mallets are bit too off the wall for my eye though. Tremendous quality all around though.

WOW that putter looks absolutely GORGEOUS!

• Staff
Ohh man that teaser last night was worth it. That putter is beautiful looking. Can't wait to hear how it rolls. I have to imagine the feel in it is pretty sweet.

That looks awesome, look forward to your review Jman

I had a dream about this putter last night.

Ohh man that teaser last night was worth it. That putter is beautiful looking. Can't wait to hear how it rolls. I have to imagine the feel in it is pretty sweet.
I thought you'd think so!
That looks awesome, look forward to your review Jman
Thanks milo!
I had a dream about this putter last night.
I bet you did, I did too! HA!

Been rolling it all morning. The thoughts they are a rolling.

Some are positively gorgeous, some of the full mallets are bit too off the wall for my eye though. Tremendous quality all around though.

Yeah, I see what you mean haha, some are a little different. Their Anser style and #9 styles are gorgeous though.

Very clean lines, it reminds me of the old B60.

Very GoLo ish! Not a fan of the copper but I can see its perceived beauty. I know you'll have fun with this once jman.

This would look nice over time with a nice patina.

TTing

That looks nice. I really like the headcover. The head shape of this one reminds me of the Si3.

Wow that is a sweet looking finish on that putter! Gorgeous if you ask me. Wish it had more than one sight line but maybe that's something that can be customizable through them.

Much less LARGE than the GoLo, its a classic headshape, Freddie hit the nail on the head, its very reminiscent of the CLASSIC B60 simply without the indentation at the backside base of the flange.

I will be curious to see how this one patina's. I love a nicely patina'd copper putter.

Wow that's nice. I know that's all your style too Jman. Wonder if they'll do a CS!

Uhm WOW! I have always wanted a Copper putter. That looks fantastic

that looks siiick. too bad i don't play anything but blades anymore..

Wow that's nice. I know that's all your style too Jman. Wonder if they'll do a CS!

Skimmer! Hehe

Yep, double-bend and CS are the two shaft options. Also there is one with an anodized aluminum insert down the sole/flange. Very interesting looking.

Just checked out pricing and that is a fantastic price for a solid copper putter!

Skimmer! Hehe

Yep, double-bend and CS are the two shaft options. Also there is one with an anodized aluminum insert down the sole/flange. Very interesting looking.

If I had the $$$, I'd ponder a CS version of this beauty.

Just checked out pricing and that is a fantastic price for a solid copper putter!
I honestly thought the EXACT same thing Chunky, especially with some of the prices I've been quoted elsewhere when I've considered it.

If I had the $$$, I'd ponder a CS version of this beauty.
The CS is sessy too for sure. I'm digging this double-bend though, honestly its the first one I will have ever rolled for an extended period. Always just been a CS or flow neck guy.

Back