2013 Whitlam CU-1 Putter - THP Preview

No such thing as a trailer queen putter! They're all made to get played!

Incredibly well balanced!

Haha true. How exactly do the copper ones feel like in comparison to like an insert or a milled putter? I don't think I have ever had the pleasure of seeing one in person.

She's a beaut! Looking forward to hearing more.

Haha true. How exactly do the copper ones feel like in comparison to like an insert or a milled putter? I don't think I have ever had the pleasure of seeing one in person.

Easier to just go back to these, I'm too lazy to re-type it this late! Haha

You're spot on. Its a more "dense"/heavier metal and typically it leads to the sound off of the ball being much deeper in tone, thus it gives off that feeling of incredibly "soft" as so many here would describe it.

More similar than other solid copper putters I have used. The key to the sound/feel is the manipulation of mass/metal in the flange/pocket when it comes to any material, not just copper. Historically a solid one has always sounded/felt much softer to me than an insert because of the insert being backed by other metals, it usually just brings the tone down a small bit audibly. Here though, I'm getting a much higher pitch than I have with other solid copper sticks, its intriguing to me.

Easier to just go back to these, I'm too lazy to re-type it this late! Haha

Hmm that sounds like these actually might be a better fit for me lol. Thanks Jman :)

Hmm that sounds like these actually might be a better fit for me lol. Thanks Jman :)

The thing to remember in clubs, but putters specifically, sound IS feel. Deeper/more-quiet leads to the "soft" feeling, Higher/more-clicky leads to the "hard" feeling. Its something that I truly believe in my heart. Our impression of feel comes directly from the sound we get.

The thing to remember in clubs, but putters specifically, sound IS feel. Deeper/more-quiet leads to the "soft" feeling, Higher/more-clicky leads to the "hard" feeling. Its something that I truly believe in my heart. Our impression of feel comes directly from the sound we get.

If that's true I'm screwed being ~3/4 deaf. LOL

interesting concept. I have to try and pay more attention to that.

That's really interesting. I can believe it though...we should do a test with a few people lol.

So, hopefully I can get some batteries today before the big game so I can shoot a video about the CU-1 for everyone to point out some of the little things. Also, I plan on (hopefully) shooting the sound on course/in-house for everyone as well because it certainly is different!

And they come in LEFTY JN! haha

Oh no! I was just drifting towards Seemore and then this beauty shows up....looking forward to the reviews.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Really nice looking. I have seen several Whitlam's in photos and they are very cool, very artistic and very impressive. Interested to hear the feedback on their performance.

Really nice looking putter.

Thought some might want to see these...

Center-Shaft model:
z1_zps29c83b00.jpg

Model with anodized aluminum insert:
z3_zpsd973be44.jpg

z2_zps5a508bbd.jpg

Intrigued by the aluminum insert, LOVE the look of the center shaft.

Now your talking with the CS! A beautiful flat stick.

Now your talking with the CS! A beautiful flat stick.

I won't lie, I was hoping for the CS model for the review...because that's what I do...LOL.

BUT, I'm enjoying the double bend so far, I don't have as much disdain for the shaft type actually using it as I always have prior. I've been harsh on the looks of double bends in the past.

I won't lie, I was hoping for the CS model for the review...because that's what I do...LOL.

BUT, I'm enjoying the double bend so far, I don't have as much disdain for the shaft type actually using it as I always have prior. I've been harsh on the looks of double bends in the past.

I definitely remember that disdain. Knowing how you are a "SeeMore" technique kind if guy, interested to hear how that double bend works for ya.

I definitely remember that disdain. Knowing how you are a "SeeMore" technique kind if guy, interested to hear how that double bend works for ya.

So far with about 2 hours on the Tour Links indoors, pretty well. Better than a PN for sure.

I'll be interested to see how it carries over on the course, I'm excited to get this one out and put it through its paces....and to see it out in the sunlight...so pretty.

Man, I was sort of hoping it was a straight shaft as well. How long before that copper loses it's freshness?

Man, I was sort of hoping it was a straight shaft as well. How long before that copper loses it's freshness?

Its a good question, it really is. I've had some patina VERY quickly, but others much slower. We'll know soon after I get it out and about on the course and the oil from my skin gets on it, that usually speeds the process.

I know I'm not supposed to say this, but I hate when they patina.

I know I'm not supposed to say this, but I hate when they patina.

Eh, everyone's different. I like it on a shiny copper finish because the sun wreaks havoc otherwise on me. But on a bead blasted soft finish like this where glare isn't an issue, I love the non-patina.

Good part of a Super Bowl delay? Got quite a bit more time in with this one.

Unique sound, nice roll. Tomorrow is going to be interesting on course for sure.

That is an absolute beauty of a putter. Can't wait for your thoughts.

How soft is copper, actually? If you hit an aggressive putt from 50ft away (I'm not talking Happy Gilmore style) would you expect to see a mark? Or is it just something that is more susceptible to bag chatter compared to other materials.

How soft is copper, actually? If you hit an aggressive putt from 50ft away (I'm not talking Happy Gilmore style) would you expect to see a mark? Or is it just something that is more susceptible to bag chatter compared to other materials.
You aren't going to see a mark from a putt (a chutt though...hehe). It is more susceptible to bag chatter (but who in their right mind would abuse a putter by not using the HC?) but more than anything its a more dense metal and gives much less/lower audible feedback so it feels much softer.

From the course!

6atu3u7u.jpg

ga4yzypu.jpg

Was a good day on the green, just tough getting TO the greens at times. Put up 30 putts.

More importantly, the roll is true. But, as with any different sound/tone it takes a bit to adjust the stroke accordingly for proper pace. It really is a unique sound, words don't do it justice, I'll be recording a video very soon.

Back