My first lesson, not what I expected.

Rageshadow

Reaction score
Handicap
Me
I had my first lesson today, it was exhausting but enlightning. What I was expecting was someone that was going to watch me swing and stop me to tell me I was doing everything wrong and was going to have to start from scratch. Well, that is not what I got. My teacher was only concerned with my getting my left hand and arm swinging the club correctly. I was so amazed the few times that I did things right just how effortless it was to put the ball out there with no push to boot which is my normal iron miss.

I am very happy with this teacher so far, he sems to understand the golf swing and is able to explain it in a way that I understand. The problem I am going to have is breaking habbits that I have had for years.

Awesome news to hear! Keep up the practice.

I think most people go in to a lesson with similar thoughts, but find out soon that they start from the ground up. Glad you enjoyed it!

Excellent, sounds like a teacher that knows how to get his knowledge over in a good way - they can be hard to find sometimes

I had my first lesson today, it was exhausting but enlightning. What I was expecting was someone that was going to watch me swing and stop me to tell me I was doing everything wrong and was going to have to start from scratch. Well, that is not what I got. My teacher was only concerned with my getting my left hand and arm swinging the club correctly. I was so amazed the few times that I did things right just how effortless it was to put the ball out there with no push to boot which is my normal iron miss.

I am very happy with this teacher so far, he sems to understand the golf swing and is able to explain it in a way that I understand. The problem I am going to have is breaking habbits that I have had for years.

It'll take a few thousand balls but trust me it's worth it and will be more beneficial than trying to buy a swing.

Glad it went well for you. Practice, practice, practice and have tons of patience as fixes do not happen overnight. I loved taking lessons but I wonder if I will ever break all my old bad habits. Good luck!

Good stuff! I've been very happy with lessons from GolfTec...another lesson or two and a few good range sessions and I think I'm really close to seeing some really good results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found I have really good success when I go in with something for them to hone in on. Example - I scheduled a lesson last year specifically to combat a shanking problem I had been developing, and he ended up fixing that as well as really improving my ball striking overall. Sometimes they just need a springing point!

Best thing that one can do to get the game suited for them! Good Luck!

I have a friend who is an assistant pro. He said in school, there theory was, "a great teacher doesn't teach someone how to swing a club based on their model. They teach someone by adjusting the swing they already have."

Sounds like this teacher knows a similar model .

It sounds like the lesson went great.

Don't feel bad about your expectations I remember when I took my first lesson I thought the same thing and then we didn't hit anything besides a 7 iron and really worked on face angle, club path and posture/grip. It's amazing how working on the small basics can translate into you entire game.

Good luck. Keep us posted!!!

That is a good find in a teacher. It will take a lot of practice, but worth it.

Congrats on finding a teacher you click with. Hope the lessons serve you well.

You have to trust the teacher. Once you do and buy into what he is saying, I'm sure you will become a better player. Good luck with your future lessons!

It will take a lot of work, but you can do it. I started taking some lessons back in the summer and after my teacher asked if I was up for the challenge, agreed to take on a complete re-vamp of my swing. It got REALLY frustrating for a while. I mean like, feeling like you can't produce one good shot during a round and losing 10 or so yards on every club. But I'm starting to see the results, back to shooting what I was before the lessons and feeling like I'm on the way to achieving some personal bests. The biggest thing is understanding that it's a process that takes time and staying focused on the end game. It's hard to do sometimes while you're struggling, but just keep at it!

My thought is a good teacher is someone who tries to improve what you have without making too many drastic changes as this can be too complicated and difficult.

Awesome to hear that it worked out for you keep it up

Only been playing a year and the worst thing I done was going on youtube and watching various videos. My head was battered with it all, trying run before I could walk really. My better half got me some lessons for xmas and I have had a couple and its made a good difference so far. Just daft little things like widening my stance and keeping my back foot planted when on the back swing to name a couple. Best advice I would give to anyone starting is to get lessons with a pro you trust listen to him and him only

Good stuff Rageshadow, happy that you have found a teacher who will get you going in the right direction. I am in need of another round of lessons but I do need to find the correct teacher. I am pondering going up to Ole Gray and KellyBo's course for lessons but if I ride an hour and an half up there I would rather meet up with my friends and play golf. That is my dilemma right now. I wish I could find someone closer by my home.

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice and encouragement, I meant to get back here sooner but real life happens. Yeah, I think this teacher and I are going to get along really well. He tells me what he wants me to do then shows me and is very paitent and gives great encouragement when I get things right. I do find I was suprised with one aspect. On my first few swings not counting my wrist flip he made me look at the divots I was taking. They were straight in line with my swing which he tells me is a very good thing regardless of my impact that when I learn to swing through the ball and not flip my wrists things will start to improve and that when I can do that we can fine tune the rest of my swing but doesn't look like we are going to have to totaly relearn my swing.
I hope this all makes sense.

That is the key, the left arm travels well and the results are typically good to great.

That is the key, the left arm travels well and the results are typically good to great.

As I am finding out that is easier to say than to do. It is hard to break 15 years or so of bad habbits lol. It feels so weird to not make equal swing effort with both hands. When I get the swing right it feels as if I am jerking the club with my left hand but the ball flies straight or with a baby drawcwhich I never have.

That's the hard part for a lot of golfers. Habbits are just that habbits. It takes work to get rid of them. Sort of like biting your nails. It's hard to stop even with some help (nail bitter)

As I am finding out that is easier to say than to do. It is hard to break 15 years or so of bad habbits lol. It feels so weird to not make equal swing effort with both hands. When I get the swing right it feels as if I am jerking the club with my left hand but the ball flies straight or with a baby drawcwhich I never have.

Take lots of swings trying to engrain the new motions. Hank Haney promotes taking 100 swings a day. Keep working everyday to make the uncomfortable, comfortable. You'll be hitting em close in no time.

Don't swing the hands, swing the handle or swing the head. Just make sure the left hand, forearm and shoulder from the top down are head down the line. It's funny how the club will react.

Back