Captain obvious: The ridiculous things Johnny Miller says

• I like him

Votes: 49 31.6%
  • I cannot stand him

Votes: 69 44.5%
  • Have zero preference on way or the other

Votes: 37 23.9%

• Total voters
If you think this guy is bad you should listen to the XGames commentators.

But in you're scenario, you both had the same score. The fact was, the scoreboard said that Graeme had not played as well as Tiger.

The head pro at my course summed up that comment this way, "Like Hogan, Johnny Miller has never considered putting a part of golf."

I though GMac was much better tee to green. His issue was he couldn't make a put.. How many short ones did we see him pull left?? No different from the AP tourney..

I though GMac was much better tee to green. His issue was he couldn't make a put.. How many short ones did we see him pull left?? No different from the AP tourney..

I agree. Tee to green Graeme was better. But he had to count the strokes on the green as well. J Miller sometimes forgets that, it seems.

Miller is beginning to get to me a bit. Used to like his honesty but now it's a bit much!! I think he actually wishes bad things to happen to Tiger and tries very hard to say positive things about him.

Another one I don't understand is his idea that if you REALLY want to get the ball in the hole from the fringe, you chip it. If you don't want to, you putt it...... Any of you know if there is any truth to this way of tjinking?

Another one I don't understand is his idea that if you REALLY want to get the ball in the hole from the fringe, you chip it. If you don't want to, you putt it...... Any of you know if there is any truth to this way of tjinking?

You can control the speed better with a putt...but the fringe can throw the line off....so chipping is more accurate.

Depends on the fringe and the situation. Good cut, short distance or fast downhill and the putter is usually your best choice. Ragged or patchy grass and fairly slow or uphill shot and a chip may be more accurate. Also depends on your confidence, and the type of chip you prefer. The hop and stop with a crisp sand wedge looks pretty, but doesn't give as good a chance of holing as a chip and roll with a PW or 8I. I like to get the ball rolling as soon as possible. I rarely use a SW for chipping, and I don't even carry a LW.

I'm a fairly good chipper, but I still prefer to putt from the fringe unless the angle is such that there is too much fringe before the ball gets to the green. I have a good friend who is a terrible chipper, and he will putt from 10 yards up the fairway, no matter what the grass is like. I've even seen him use the putter out of medium rough.

Depends on the fringe and the situation. Good cut, short distance or fast downhill and the putter is usually your best choice. Ragged or patchy grass and fairly slow or uphill shot and a chip may be more accurate. Also depends on your confidence, and the type of chip you prefer. The hop and stop with a crisp sand wedge looks pretty, but doesn't give as good a chance of holing as a chip and roll with a PW or 8I. I like to get the ball rolling as soon as possible. I rarely use a SW for chipping, and I don't even carry a LW.

I'm a fairly good chipper, but I still prefer to putt from the fringe unless the angle is such that there is too much fringe before the ball gets to the green. I have a good friend who is a terrible chipper, and he will putt from 10 yards up the fairway, no matter what the grass is like. I've even seen him use the putter out of medium rough.

I picked up Phils short game DVD. He says he never won a major until he started putting from the fringe. Me, I would rather chip only because I have a hard time hitting long putts..

for me it depends on how much fringe and how long the shot will be. If its a really long putt and starts through a good bit of fringe, I'll chip it because I don't feel comfortable with my distance control on putts where I have to swing the putter way outside of my foot.

And the stupid comments continue. Roberto Castro has some questions about getting relief from 2 different sprinker heads so Johnny says he needs to go back to middle school because it is the most rudimentary ruling in the book.

Other broadcasters backed Castro in light of everything that has happened recently.

SHUT UP JOHNNY!

And the stupid comments continue. Roberto Castro has some questions about getting relief from 2 different sprinker heads so Johnny says he needs to go back to middle school because it is the most rudimentary ruling in the book.

Other broadcasters backed Castro in light of everything that has happened recently.

SHUT UP JOHNNY!

WOW, johnny needs to calm down a bit, what a ridiculous excuse for a broadcaster.

SHUT UP JOHNNY!

I agreed with Johnny there. How can you be on the PGA Tour and not know how to take a proper drop from a sprinkler head?

I agreed with Johnny there. How can you be on the PGA Tour and not know how to take a proper drop from a sprinkler head?

Being that there were two different sprinklers in play and the Tiger Woods dropgate just a few weeks back, it makes perfect sense to figure it out properly.

There were 2 different sprinkler heads within 18 inches of each other so they have to be careful to designate which one they are taking relief from, etc. With all of the TV rules officials out there, I don't blame them at all for not wanting to screw it up. Even his playing partner Jason Bohn could not speak to it exactly and basically called the official over for him.

Being that there were two different sprinklers in play and the Tiger Woods dropgate just a few weeks back, it makes perfect sense to figure it out properly.

Still, it's not that hard to figure out. For everyone complaining about slow play all the time, this could be a big reason for it.

There's a difference between not knowing how to take the drop and covering your ass by involving the official.

Still, it's not that hard to figure out. For everyone complaining about slow play all the time, this could be a big reason for it.

Are you watching the coverage? Did you see it live and know exactly how to handle it?

There were 2 different sprinkler heads within 18 inches of each other so they have to be careful to designate which one they are taking relief from, etc. With all of the TV rules officials out there, I don't blame them at all for not wanting to screw it up. Even his playing partner Jason Bohn could not speak to it exactly and basically called the official over for him.

Exactly....too many guys with the PGA tour on their speed dial trying to be rules officials....better be safe than DQ'ed

Are you watching the coverage? Did you see it live and know exactly how to handle it?

No, I just turned it on. Regardless, these guys play a game for a living. I don't think it's too much to ask to have them know the rule book cover to cover. People always complain about slow play, and getting an official involved for every little thing certainly isn't helping.

No, I just turned it on. Regardless, these guys play a game for a living. I don't think it's too much to ask to have them know the rule book cover to cover. People always complain about slow play, and getting an official involved for every little thing certainly isn't helping.

This has me laughing. Knowing the book cover to cover? Ok....this is laughable.

How many of us here have ever read the rule book? Like cover to cover. Have you ever done it?

I read like three pages and decided that ain't happening. Might as well be written in legal language.

How many of us here have ever read the rule book? Like cover to cover. Have you ever done it?

I read like three pages and decided that ain't happening. Might as well be written in legal language.

I've read a good bit of the rule book and keep a copy of it in my golf bag. I also don't play golf as a profession. If I did, I like to think that I'd know the rules.

Of that is the problem, probably time to di away with the tv rules officials.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Back