An albatross or a double eagle?

Faiz

Reaction score
Handicap
Why do Americans call an albatross a double eagle?
When I hear double eagle I always feel that this diminishes the incredulity of the occasion.
Eagles happen so often that a double eagle doesn't sound that special.

I like how a -3 has it's own completely seperate title of albatross but I don't understand where or how the double eagle title came from.

Would a condor be titled as a triple eagle then?

Sorry just been wondering about this since I keep seeing references to Oosthuizens 'double eagle' and it's really ticking me off!

I call it an albatross. Not that I've ever been anywhere near seeing one in person.

I didn't see one but I was close to seeing it!
I can't remember which year(2004-7) but the Uganda team captain, Deo Akope, made one on hole 13 at my home club during the East African Challenge.
I had gone out to watch and found them on hole 14. Major fail.lol

It's an Albatross for me, and I hear it referred to as that much more often than I do double eagle.

I had one last year and was put in the newspaper as a double eagle. There is also a website called"Double Eagle Club" to record the hole. Either way,like a hole in one,it's mostly luck and it really does feel good to achieve it no matter what it's called!

I was within 6 inches once on a par 5. I would have called it a double eagle.

I gotta go with Albatross.

If an eagle is -2 on a hole then double eagle should be -4 on a hole. Just thinking logically. :)

I go Albatross as well. Needs that cool name. After all we don't call -2 Double Birdie.

I've heard it as both, but I usually say albatross. If I ever get one, I won't care what it is called!

I prefer albatross but won't lose sleep either way.

Albatross sounds way better to me

I've never heard of a double eagle club or a team double eagle. My allegiance falls with the albatross.

Oh and don't forget, Bettinardi Putters are amazing!

I always thought if you went from birdie to eagle, it must change to albatross. I think the first time I heard double eagle someone was talking about Sarazen.

Rolled over the hole once years ago, never had one. If I ever do, I'm calling it an Albatross. Just so I can do the Monty Python bit and wander around yelling "Albatross".

I've never heard of a double eagle club or a team double eagle. My allegiance falls with the albatross.

Oh and don't forget, Bettinardi Putters are amazing!
Just Google it...........trust me, it's there
They actually hold a tournament for the members(way too expensive for this guy!)

When I hit one, I'll refer to it as my triple birdie
Sent from my Windows 8 Phone

them into each other (or into a missile), the Double Eagle version of the accelerator would shower protons down onto the moon.

Say what?

I gotta go with Albatross.

If an eagle is -2 on a hole then double eagle should be -4 on a hole. Just thinking logically. :)

Math = That's smart.

I'd call it an albatross, but I don't think it really matters.

IMO I think it's an albatross when it happens on a par 5 and a double eagle when it's a par 4. That's how I would refer to it if I ever got one. I believe it's harder to do on a par 5 so it should have a cooler name. :laughing:

Albatross. Fo sho

I got a hole in one on a par 4. Albatross.

IMO I think it's an albatross when it happens on a par 5 and a double eagle when it's a par 4. That's how I would refer to it if I ever got one. I believe it's harder to do on a par 5 so it should have a cooler name. :laughing:

Harder than a hole in 1 on a par 4? I'd say the opposite, I've had mid irons into par 5 greens before, I've certainly never hit a mid iron into a par 4 green, not on a full size course at least.

I got a hole in one on a par 4. Albatross.

Until someone else has one and says otherwise, this mans word goes.

I've heard it both ways and I know what each means. Doesn't bother me as much as hearing golf carts called buggies and instead of rent I hear 'hire'. Just saying...

Back