Slow play... You must be kidding...

fastbasser

Reaction score
Handicap
I can not believe they decided to call a slow play penalty on the kid. These other mutts drag their arses all over the course and the cowardly pga officials say nothing. It clearly shows how afraid they are of calling one on a "star".

I am glad the Golf Channel people brought all the other "games" to our attention.

What a disgrace....

There are pages of conversation on this in our Masters thread in the contest section. You may want to check that out.

The disgrace is that it didn't cause him to miss the cut or this would've been a massive story that could've got some traction.

Like bubba and graehm said, 6 hour round is rediculous. No reason not to call a penalty

Furyk took just over a minute to hit after his drop when he put one in the water. Tiger took 1 minute, 13 seconds on his putt on #8. Guan took 50 seconds when he was penalized. Imagine the uproar if Tiger or Furyk took a penalty for slow play...

Like bubba and graehm said, 6 hour round is rediculous. No reason not to call a penalty

Agreed, but it needs to be consistent. Otherwise, terrible call by the official.

They are probably right but this is rampant in golf and is rarely ever called. Was this not a big issue last season, with several players? How about all those penalties called then. It was a terrible call, even if it was right by the book, terrible call.

I must be the only one who laughed at the title!haha

He was warned before the penalty was called

He was warned but still.........look at the others, Furyk comes to mind when attempting to hit a putt...... he lines up over the ball after studying the green for three minutes, backs away and looks for several more seconds, then strikes the ball. Good gosh, call a penalty on him why don't you!!!!

I guess my one question on this would be what is the warning they give and do they then time each shot after? How do they come to the conclusion it was just him and not the group as a whole?

My big problem is that it was after his second shot on 17...he is almost done with the round and is trying to make history...let the kid play and then talk to him about it after the round.

Thank goodness it didn't cause him to miss the cut or it really would have been ugly.

What about Keegan with his going back and forward then spinning the club. Has anyone timed him.

I would have asked that official just one question, how many times in the last year have you penalized anyone.. I would bet it was none. He should be excluded from any further events on US soil.....

What about Keegan with his going back and forward then spinning the club. Has anyone timed him.

I agree. I've said for a long time that Keegan is one of the slower guys right now with all that bobbing back and forth, club spinning etc. The tour has dropped the ball for so long on this issue it has become out of control. To not address the nearly 6 hour rounds yesterday makes the tour look like fools. Easy to take issue with a 14 yr old amateur while letting the others continue to play so slow.

I don't think he was slowing the field down, and I'm not sure about every rule on the pace of play, but last year in Augusta there were a lot of top guys taking forever to do stuff. The slow pace rule should be applied only when the player is slowing the pace of the other groups, significantly. I can't imagine that was the case here.

It's kind of like TSA. You get one guy that really takes his job way to serious and wants to frisk you for some washes paper you left in your pocket.
The rules official was actually not at the morning meeting when they decided to allow 6 hour rounds due to time and a half for anything over 4 hours.
This really is a joke, why Tim hasn't done anything I'll never know.

I agree Freddie. It's a bit pathetic

Dude, my Bridgestone J40 that I ordered is a BOMBER! Love that GD ADDi 7 shaft!

Furyk took just over a minute to hit after his drop when he put one in the water. Tiger took 1 minute, 13 seconds on his putt on #8. Guan took 50 seconds when he was penalized. Imagine the uproar if Tiger or Furyk took a penalty for slow play...

While I don't disagree, were Furyk or Tiger's groups "on the clock?" Had they been warned? It's not like they time every shot of every player and asses a penalty if you go over 40 seconds. That only happens after your group is put on the clock and warnings are issued.

The good news is he made the cut, the reality is that he caught the hell that many others should have and hopefully he'll learn and the others will take notice. This has certainly left a bad taste in my mouth for the Masters, just makes me feel like they act in favor of the elite a little. It was a BS call after plenty of 5.5 and 6 hour rounds were played all day without penalty.

Calling the kid was nuts. It's always a hot topic with golfers, and it should be dealt with, but there are at least five big names who routinely slow everything down. Penalise ALL of them. It would only take two tough weeks a year to get these highly professional, massively paid pros to get on top of the issue.

They should at least allow them to bag Iphones, so they can THP between shots :thumb:

I'm with others that it looked pretty gutless to single the kid out when there were plenty of players that could have been flagged. Every single week there are guys guilty of slow play yet the tour doesn't do anything. But yeah, stick it to the teenager.

I'm with others that it looked pretty gutless to single the kid out when there were plenty of players that could have been flagged. Every single week there are guys guilty of slow play yet the tour doesn't do anything. But yeah, stick it to the teenager.
I heard the guy didn't get a fortune in his fortune cookie from Jade palace the night before. So he took it out on the kid.

Back