THP Review - Odyssey Tank Putter

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Ryan is back with his latest review and this one is simply outstanding. So much incredible information.

http://bit.ly/ZzvUAD

Great review Ryan. This putter intrigues me at the moment. While the "style" is not something I've ever gamed before, i think I could benefit from the heavier weight which appears to offer great assistance in the 5-10 ft range which is where I currently struggle. Great touch adding the interview with Chris into this as well!

Wow, phenomenal review here Ryan! I won't even begin to try and touch on everything that stuck out to me in this review but I will just say that I really like what they have going on here in lieu of a belly putter. More weight, more stability, backweighting - it really does all make sense to me and I just really like what I am seeing. Thanks for a very thorough review touching on all key aspects in this new putter!

One question for you: with the 40" version you tried, were you using your standard putter grip (with your hands)? I saw where you said at the Y in Odyssey but curious if you did any overlap or split your hands apart for a bit more stability with all of the additional weight and longer shaft.

great review Hawk.... really looking forward to getting a chance to roll one of these.

Great Review, you know I have been waiting for this one, and it didn't let me down. I look forward to getting one in hand.

Thanks fellas.

Cookie, I just used my standard grip. Hard to explain the feeling, but you get this sense that you have a very stable version of a conventional putter when you set up with 5 inches of grip above the hands.

Thanks fellas.

Cookie, I just used my standard grip. Hard to explain the feeling, but you get this sense that you have a very stable version of a conventional putter when you set up with 5 inches of grip above the hands.

Thanks and it makes sense. I have been toying around with a longer putter as of late but with no back weighting so I am not feeling the counter weight above the hands. I can definitely imagine how this has the stability of the belly putter without being anchored......and I am a fan.

You know, it has an effect on stability, but for me, I think it really has the most effect on feel. Rather than having some head-heavy putter that feels like a rock, you have a heavy-headed putter that feels very much like something standard. It engages your bigger muscles without making you so concsious of the fact if that makes sense.

It's very hard to explain how it feels, and nimble was really the best word I could come up with. The back weighting drops the balance point lower, which has the effect of making it feel like a standard putter.

That was a fantastic review Hawk! Outstanding work.

Tons of great information in there Hawk! Thanks for doing this and what a great touch in getting Chris to answer some of those questions we were all wondering. Can not wait to get this into my hands again!

Thanks Nate. I definitely owe Mr Koske a big thank you for his time answering those questions. The biggest thing for me was figuring out what factors people should look at if they are trying to decide on a length. I think he answered that one pretty well.

Thanks Nate. I definitely owe Mr Koske a big thank you for his time answering those questions. The biggest thing for me was figuring out what factors people should look at if they are trying to decide on a length. I think he answered that one pretty well.

That information was great, and luckily for me it fit right into what I decided on my own. (well with some help)

That information was great, and luckily for me it fit right into what I decided on my own. (well with some help)

I was really wondering why the recommendations seemed to be 36 inches, but it does make sense now.

I currently counter weight my putters with 75g in the grip. I really like the effects. I even do it on a couple super stroke grips I have and feel like I'm cheating. I like the idea of the counter weighting and would push anyone to at least try this putter.

One thing I found interesting in the review,
Tour Preferred Balance Point

• The balance point is lower on the shaft, providing a more conventional approach that Tour players prefer.

Does lower mean more towards the grip in this instance?

Great info Hawk! Really intrigued about the putter being so much heavier. With so much good things said about the #7, I think they made the right head choice.

I currently counter weight my putters with 75g in the grip. I really like the effects. I even do it on a couple super stroke grips I have and feel like I'm cheating. I like the idea of the counter weighting and would push anyone to at least try this putter.

One thing I found interesting in the review,
Tour Preferred Balance Point

• The balance point is lower on the shaft, providing a more conventional approach that Tour players prefer.

Does lower mean more towards the grip in this instance?

I think Koske probably explains that best.

How do you maintain feel in such a heavy putter?

That was the key to this whole project. We want to make it heavier, raise the entire club’s MOI and try to engage the larger muscles in the body so that we could deliver a putter that helped cure the “Yippy” stroke. The one thing we didn’t like about other heavy weight putters that had been on the market is that they felt so different from a standard putter. The balance point was so high in the club that it took all the feel out of the hands. To get the feel we wanted, we kept the balance point of the putter down towards the head, just as you’d see on a conventional putter. People are shocked when they pick it up, because it feels heavy, but still gives a very similar sensation to a normal putter in the golfer’s hands.

Hawk killing it with some Odyssey Putter reviews! Great review there, sir. Makes me want a Tank in the bag even more.

Fantastic review Ryan, there is a TON of great info there. I think a 40" #7 Tank would be money for me. More weight, more balance, backweighting, sounds great.

Great review Hawk. This one is interesting to me.

Awesome review. Chalk full of info and that interview was perfect. I really am intrigued about the 36" Tank, as I putt with a 36" "standard" putter.

Great review Hawk. Awesome that you were able to speak directly with Callaway to gain extra insight.

They are definitely very accessible and that's quite nice from my standpoint.

Back